Lesson learned, pointers gladly accepted....

Unleashed

FNG
My second year of OTC Archery hunting in CO at 10K' found me hearing a few bulls bugling in the area, or maybe not. After a day of hearing bugles, sending my own and getting a mixed bag of returns, I was pretty sure I was talking with other hunters. I knew there were a couple folks about 1/2 mile back on the trail and below me. This morning I had planned to listen for any additional bugling and press towards any responses. My first stop was the creek about 200' below my camp. While down there I heard a bugle that sounded about 200 yds away on the other side of the creek. I sent a response and got one back so I started heading that way. About 50yds later I hear another bugle from the same location and I quickly respond. No sooner had I dropped my bugle did I hear the most realistic and mature bull scream I've ever heard. It was short and very easy to understand. It was also about 40yds to my right, on a plateau about 8' above me. I had no cover and no plan, something I already realize was a huge mistake. I was ready to shoot when he finally broke the threshold of that plateau but it was all but impossible for him to miss me, he appeared at 1 O'Clock, 15 yds, and I was trying to be tiny behind a 6" piece of deadfall. From the time he screamed at me until I saw him was about 2 minutes. I never heard a single sound from him until he looked at me and jumped off. My first assumption would be that I need to have a plan anytime I bugle, never know who's sneeking in. Outside of that, I don't know what else I could have done better, other than knowing the difference between a hunter and a real bull....then again, I wouldn't have seen that bull if I wasn't trying to talk. I was at low point before this whole experience and, even though it didn't go as planned, seeing a monster like that up close is going to keep me at this for a long time. I hope others can learn from this experience which I know is not unique, until it happens to you I guess.

I’ve just come to accept that sometimes another bull will insert itself into an interaction between me and the bull I’m originally after. Can work in your benefit sometimes but more often than not I seem to end up with them in exactly the spot I don’t want them lol

Read1t48

WKR
Sounds exciting! Stay positive.
My feedback…

In these situations, remember or learn the doorway principle. If you listen closely, you’ll know when they approach the doorway. With experience, you’ll know in advance exactly where they will stop. Come to full draw just before that and be ready. Even when hunting throughout the day, you can play mind games for practice and visualize the doorway in various terrain. It works and virtually all elk behave the same way with the doorway.
Stand in front of trees and brush. They won’t see you if you don’t move.
If you think you have elk close in front of your nearby, bugle behind you to give the perception that you are further away or muffle the end of your tube with your hand. They are more likely to come closer with less reservation.
Put the elk in search mode when they get close by not saying anything, especially if you’re solo. Make them look for you. The bull that was coming in was aggressive. He will come looking.
When bugling in tight quarters, or if elk are close, bugle from a spot where you can set up properly (clear footing, shooting lanes, ranged areas, appropriate cover, wind, etc.)

It sounds complicated but it’s easy with practice and you can practice it all season throughout the hunt day.

Learn from each experience. My best lessons are my screwups and I try to never make them twice.