Less expensive hot tent?

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Friend of mine has an Ozark Trail wall tent from Walmart. He has used it on 3-4 elk hunts and is happy for the price. I just looked it up on Walmart and it’s $399.

Thanks for the reply folks - I'm still looking into this, but leaning toward a S.O. - mainly because of the reputation and the ability to sell it down the road if it does not meet my needs.
Some thoughts:
  • Many of the budget tents mentioned are solid and typically more durable than the ultra lightweight stuff.
  • Until recently I had two SO hot tents, both excellent. High-end tends are like a high-end graphite fly rod - they achieve the right balance between high functional performance and light weight. We pay more + it hurts more when the unexpected happens, and it will.
  • Consider a strategy to end up with two tents. Your kids/family might enjoy/prefer that. Buy the entry point tent first... learn... then be smarter when ready to buy tent #2.
  • A reliable tent that will cost you a fraction of a SO will be made very well, 100% capable, more durable... it will just weigh a little more.
  • If the tent has a stove jack, don't rush into owning a wood stove unless you really need/want one. At the least, get some experience under your belt before you use a stove around your kids/wife. Staying warm in a tent is not why mini wood stoves are needed.
  • Tent camping is a real-deal skill. Pay your dues, learn it before you teach it.
Hope this is helpful!

Brian

🙏🙏🙏

Well spoken and thank you!

This was actually my plan recently as I am only a day hunter thus far, but want to venture further to the less pressured areas.

Gonna pick up a bigger tent thats a little heavier for the fam to enjoy on outings, with option to go the hot tent route when we are ready. Will base my multi day loadout on those experiences!

I am a bigger guy at 6'3 280 but I am forcing myself to pack smart... I may look at a 6lb tent and think its not a factor in my load, but I KNOW I will regret it on a multi day trip if I have a kill on my back with it!

Great tips!

Last edited:
The Onetigris Tegimen is outstanding in my opinion. It’s a palace of a tent, but it would be a little cramped with multiple people and dogs I think. I wouldn’t pick it if I was backpacking in anywhere either. Outside of that, no complaints.
Agreed. I've got one and it's been great.

2 guys can be comfortable for a week with the stove.