Leica geovid pro 10x42

hookah

FNG
Hi there, has anyone managed to purchase a pair of these and have used them out in the field ?

Yes on getting them, but haven’t had any time in the field with them yet.

Planning several range days soon and gonna play with several rifles and profiles. I had the HDR version and really think I will just have to get used to the Ballistics functions that will be new to me.

Yes on getting them, but haven’t had any time in the field with them yet.

Planning several range days soon and gonna play with several rifles and profiles. I had the HDR version and really think I will just have to get used to the Ballistics functions that will be new to me.
‘Patiently waiting’ 😂

‘Patiently waiting’ 😂
Sorry, I didn’t realize anyone was waiting. Lol.

I haven’t had them in a hunting situation yet, but have gotten to play with them at the range a little. I have been able to connect to Bluetooth, change profile and turn Bluetooth back off without any issues. Since I don’t have a kestrel there is no reason for me on a hunt to have more than the gun I’m using setup in the unit.

The readout comes back pretty quick, had seen some people say it was delayed but I have not seen that. I have been starting to have issues reading my dope chart in the field without a set of readers with me, so this will be very valuable for me.

The glass is as expected, maybe a little better than the older HDR set I had but they are also new.

For my 300Win I have a proven dope chart I was using, and setting up the gun profile the range card it provides was really close, so I will likely take a chrono next time and validate my FPS at the barrel to see what I am actually getting.

I did not think about my different scopes when originally setting up each profile (yes it was stupid of me)…. I was shooting a 350 legend and I had it set to give me 1/4 MOA clicks as my output but the scope is just an MOA reticle. So needless to say that first shot was WAY off, made that adjustment to the gun profile, loaded it back up and all good.

There was a post on Rokslide by someone who said they lost all their gun profiles somehow in the app. I am saving snapshots of them as backup, but haven’t yet had anything that was too far off when creating the profiles.

I hope this answered some of your questions, I would buy the same thing again over other options that are out there.

Sorry, I didn’t realize anyone was waiting. Lol.

I haven’t had them in a hunting situation yet, but have gotten to play with them at the range a little. I have been able to connect to Bluetooth, change profile and turn Bluetooth back off without any issues. Since I don’t have a kestrel there is no reason for me on a hunt to have more than the gun I’m using setup in the unit.

The readout comes back pretty quick, had seen some people say it was delayed but I have not seen that. I have been starting to have issues reading my dope chart in the field without a set of readers with me, so this will be very valuable for me.

The glass is as expected, maybe a little better than the older HDR set I had but they are also new.

For my 300Win I have a proven dope chart I was using, and setting up the gun profile the range card it provides was really close, so I will likely take a chrono next time and validate my FPS at the barrel to see what I am actually getting.

I did not think about my different scopes when originally setting up each profile (yes it was stupid of me)…. I was shooting a 350 legend and I had it set to give me 1/4 MOA clicks as my output but the scope is just an MOA reticle. So needless to say that first shot was WAY off, made that adjustment to the gun profile, loaded it back up and all good.

There was a post on Rokslide by someone who said they lost all their gun profiles somehow in the app. I am saving snapshots of them as backup, but haven’t yet had anything that was too far off when creating the profiles.

I hope this answered some of your questions, I would buy the same thing again over other options that are out there.
Thanks for the update. That is really helpful.

I’ve been trying to decide if I should buy some Swaro NL Pure 10x42 and keep using my Leica RF (2000-b) or just get the 10x42 Pro’s. My current RF is great but won’t do angle compensation without also adjusting the EHR for environmentals.

It sounds like the Geovid Pro’s will give me the data in the way that I prefer.

My only hesitation was the reduction in optical quality due to the RF. I’m guessing compared to my Tract Toric Bino’s which I put on par with Vortex razors and Leupold BX-4’s (at least when I bought them 5 years ago).

Do you have any thoughts on the clarity and color? The swaro field of view is impressive but I’ve tried the NL Pure in the field 2x and they aren’t my favorite. Washed out isn’t a good description but they don’t look natural to me.

Thanks again!

I don’t think you could go wrong with the Pro’s.

I have had lots of glass over the years, and I would not say that these give up anything to them in optical performance. I still have a pair of Swarovski EL 8x42’s, and SLC 8x32 as well as these Pro’s.

My current EL’s are the newer Swarovision style and are slightly better than the older EL 10x42 that I had. If you have a chance to handle a newer pair of Geovids, even if not the pro I would suggest it so you will know as much as you can about your own preference. I think the color and clarity is as good as my EL’s, but going through the process and adjusting a pair to your eyes would be my suggestion.

I have had lots of glass over the years, and I would not say that these give up anything to them in optical performance. I still have a pair of Swarovski EL 8x42’s, and SLC 8x32 as well as these Pro’s.

My current EL’s are the newer Swarovision style and are slightly better than the older EL 10x42 that I had. If you have a chance to handle a newer pair of Geovids, even if not the pro I would suggest it so you will know as much as you can about your own preference. I think the color and clarity is as good as my EL’s, but going through the process and adjusting a pair to your eyes would be my suggestion.
That sounds like solid advice.

Thanks!

I was able to look through the Zeiss, Swaro, and Leica (3200.com) binos today. To my eyes the Zeiss were the best image (Leica's a close second). I did not care for the Swaro RF's at all (although the NL Pure's were great).

The only issue I can't seem to get over is the RF display in the Leica's seemed to have a fair bit of parallax/out of focus. I messed with them for quite a while and got them close but diopter and parallax (white and red rings) were almost maxed out and it still wasn't very crisp. It also felt like double vision trying to read the ranges. I did not have this issue with the Swaro's or the Zeiss.

I really like the ballistics package and kestrel integration of the Leica's but if I can't get the readout to be clear and crisp it will annoy the heck out of me. . . and I'll end up with the Zeiss.

Any thoughts?

Not knowing exactly what happened here is what I do and works for me.

The white ring is you diopter, once that is set then you adjust the red ring which is only meant to focus the RF image in your view. I did not have to do a lot of adjustment to get mine perfectly clear, but cannot say what happened that you did not get a focused image.

I always start with focusing on a target of some sort as far out as I can with both white a red rings set on “0”. Next I will look with one eye at a time to perfect the focus, and the diopter adjustments. Typically the white ring for me ends up close to “0” but never exactly centered. Once that is done I will press the range button and the red ring is on “0” when I start, for me I have not had the issue of needing much of an adjustment after getting my focus set at distance. Once I have my setting, I really have not needed to adjust from there.

I have seen people say good things about the Zeiss units, but I have not handled them personally. I really like my Swarovski stuff, but when I bought the HDR Geovids I had before these the equal Swarovski unit would only range from 30 yards and out, so I wanted something that went to 10yds and the Leica did that. The Pro’s for me replaced my HDR’s, and I feel like they have a better solution than the Swarovski EL Range for what I wanted.

I’d give the Geovids another look, but ultimately choose the set that you feel do the best. It’s a big investment to settle if you are not happy with something. Good luck.

Dmoua

Lil-Rokslider
The Geovid Pro 10x42 is an excellent range finding binocular. I took mine out to Rock Lake Rifle range last weekend and paired it up with my Kestrel. It ranges fairly quick and displays the dope from my kestrel so much faster than it does when paired to my Leica 2800.com rangefinder.The glass is what you would expect from a $3000 product. The only thing I hate about it is the cheap lens covers as they do not stay on there. Besides that I have no other complaints about it so far. I have looked through a pair of the new Swarovski EL ranges and I can say I don’t think my eyes can tell the difference between the two. Maybe if I had them side by side for hours on end. Having the capability to switch to any gun on my kestrel while paired to the rf binos was the reason why I went with the Leica and it proved true at the range when I had 3 rifles that day. I am excited to use it for the upcoming rifle season.