Legal to carry in backcountry?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I guess I’m wondering why the police decided to search a hikers bag....there must be more to that story, even in a commie run hell hole like California I find it hard to believe cops just approached a hiker who was minding their own business and searched their bag.

now that I got that out of the way, have you tried talking to your local law enforcement agency and asking them about the legality of taking your gun hiking?

slvrslngr

WKR
I believe 87TT nailed it. Open carry with a hunting license. Coyote hunting is open year round so you're good to go.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
You can concealed carry while you are hunting. Go thru the regs, It's in there.

Use the "Search for Words" functionality.

But yeah... while transporting it .. has to be empty..in locked case.. and ammo elsewhere than the case. They passed all those rules re: transport to give them something to charge all the drive-by gangbangers with, or so they said back in the day.

Last edited:
You can concealed carry while you are hunting. Go thru the regs, It's in there.

Use the "Search for Words" functionality.

But yeah... while transporting it .. has to be empty..in locked case.. and ammo elsewhere than the case. They passed all those rules re: transport to give them something to charge all the drive-by gangbangers with, or so they said back in the day.
I'll be looking that up. Hope its true but I either carry concealed illegally or open carry with a license for "coyotes" as stated above. I don't much worry about getting caught in the sierras but that's a whole different world than los padres.

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah... I've experienced the LPNF Rangers before. Guy gave me a ration of shit and wanted to look in my bag and my vehicle because I had all my tags with me in my pack!

I was trippin' on that, because I always just bring 'em all, figuring that way I know I won't screw up and forget the one I need at home. Keep 'em in the envelope they came in.

This guy was over here telling me that apparently dudes out there will try to shove an arrow thru an existing bullet hole, in order to use their first tag up first claiming archery take. If you can't tell that somebody shoved an arrow thru a bullet wound post mortem... that's just sad.

Also he said some dudes try to be slick and wrap their tag around the antler in such a way that they don't expose the signature part... which they actually haven't signed... or maybe it was the date part?... and then try to come back in and re-use their tag. So meh... I guess they have some reason to be that way. I just know that I was tired as hell... it was blazing hot... and this a**hole was over here trying to sweat us and making it take longer to leave. And he didn't need to be as abrasive as the foot he started out on. And it was blaringly obvious we hadn't had any take, so I don't even get what he was trippin' on to begin with. Whatever.

87TT

WKR
Not a Forest Ranger's job to enforce "State" game laws. What are they going to do if you say NO. w

TheGDog

WKR
RE: Westlaw - Do Search Within Titles... only checkbox Title 14. Searched for "concealed"

Grrr.. dang it.. not finding that same text I remember finding in there before.

There is this new part though...

(h) Archers may not use or possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag except as provided in subsections (h)(1) or (h)(2).
(1) An archer may carry a firearm capable of being concealed on his or her person while engaged in the taking of big game other than deer with a bow and arrow in accordance with subdivision (h), but shall not take or attempt to take big game with the firearm.
(2) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the lawful possession of a firearm capable of being concealed on his or her person by an active peace officer listed in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code or a retired peace officer in lawful possession of an identification certificate issued pursuant to Penal Code Section 25455 authorizing the retired officer to carry a concealed firearm.

Last edited:

TomJoad

WKR
I've got to say I'm a little confused as to what you need protection for or from? Black bears? coyotes? Humans? All of the above will stay clear of you. I've spent plenty of time backcountry in CA nat forests and have never had any need. Also spend time backcountry on the border in So CA... the only time I didn't feel safe was while being molested by CBP agents. Always brought a gun down there but it was a 22lr rifle for jack rabbits (dinner) not for protection.

I have not looked to see if it is still there but the Ca hunting regs had a section in it allowing concealed carry "to and from a hunting or fishing expedition". Open carry in the national forest has always been permitted.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm... it might be that the text I'd found before was not specifically within this Title 14.

It was as BubbleHide had referred to above, something to that effect. I made sure I checked on this beforebecause I was gonna start carrying that .380 in my HipBelt pocket on the pack, and I'd xfer it into a pocket holster whenever I step away from my pack.

There was also Supreme Court ruling a while back clarifying the right to carry in National Parks despite it still being illegal to discharge a weapon in a National Park.