Leg jacket for added warmth:

_Nick_

WKR
So, I've been backpacking for almost a decade now and only last weekend came up with something that I should have thought of years ago.

I tend to get a little cold in my lower body on the borderline nights... waking up with cold feet and or knees in the early morning.

This last weekend I was just on the border of my bag's rating. When I'm in those conditions, I typically just lay my down jacket over me to provide a little extra core warmth... but my core isn't ever really the cold bit. So instead of doing that, I thought 'why not just zip up the jacket and put a foot in each of the sleeves of my down jacket, far enough that my toes almost poked out of the sleeves, with the back of the jacket covering the front side of my knees'. This led to a 'leg jacket' that covered my feet, knees, and almost up to my hips.

I toss and turn at night; I had no issues with losing the leg jacket, nor any issues with it getting tangled. I also had toasty warm toes.

Anyway, it's a pretty obvious solution that many people have surely thought of before me. But for those with typically cold toes, give it a shot!

Leg jacket, FTW.

Carlin59

WKR
That is a nifty idea; definitely worth a shot sometimes! I often stuff extra layers down by my feet to take up space/add warmth, but putting a jacket on makes sense as well. This past weekend I put some el-cheapo insulated gloves over my toes/half my foot. The result was really warm feet; much warmer than the old hot nalgene bottle trick.

I started wearing a set of booties to bed. I have a set that my wife gave me from Cabelas and they are wicked awesome during the late season and winter camping. I have found that I usually have to take my socks off and go barefoot in them or I will get too hot and end up with really sweaty feet. It's also nice to be able to get up and go relieve myself with out fumbling around with boots.

on nights where its going to be a condensation mess, and i have a syn puffy with me, ive been zipping it up, then pulling the sleeves in and having a knee height inner bag. it seems to help with the condensation on the shell of my bag/inner of my bivy.
ive yet to try this is real cold but so far im liking it.

unm1136

WKR
In my hammock I zip up my jacket and put my feet in it or wrap it around the foot of the hammock and zip it up there.

pat