Leg goes numb with pack on

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone else have any issues with the sides of your legs going numb while wearing a pack? Any tips on best ways to alleviate the issue? I have a Exo K2, mostly happens on training rucks with 50+ lbs...so far haven't found a great solution

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I find my hip flexor will ache then get numb if wearing the pack too low. Have you messed with fitment? I would call Exo as well and see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Just a little bit on my left side if I cinch my pack really tight. It’s never been enough of a problem to find a solution for, however.

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the belt and get some suspenders. Worked for me. The hip belt was pressing on my belt and stopping the circulation.
Have not tried that yet, makes sense to me

jspradley

WKR
Thick belts are no bueno under packs.

The clips on suspenders dig into my back when I cinch the pack belt down but they might work, those really thin nylon webbing belts work great under packs too.

matthewmt

WKR
I have a arcade brand belt supper thin, a little stretchy but it works well for under a pack belt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I second the suggestion that you are wearing the waist belt too low. Try adjusting the fit so that the belt sits higher on your hips and isn't pushing hard on your hip flexors as you walk.

ColeyG

WKR
The numbness is caused by either pressure on a nerve or lack of circulation due to compression.

I used to lose sensation in my fingers on each hand starting with my pinking and working towards my index fingers as it progressed. It seems to be linked to hiking with a heavy pack without using trekking poles. I never did find out the specific cause, but it was nerve related and had to do with my posture and how I held my arms with the heavy pack on. I never happened using trekking poles, I am guessing because my posture and how I carried and used my arms was different and didn't impact the affected nerves in the same way.

Your sciatic nerve runs from your lower back down through the posterior side of each of your legs. I'd guess that something around your waist or lower back is getting compressed to the point that a bundle of nerves is affected to the point that your leg goes numb. As others have said, a bulk pants belt cold do it. The waist design of the pants you are wearing, even the design of the pack and pack hip belt padding could be doing it. As much as I love my Exo 2K, the waist belt and padding are pretty poor on their packs.

I'd experiment with a few different combos of pants, belts, and packs to see if you can find things that either palliate or provoke the issue. Also try moving the waist belt around on your hips as well, where it rides, higher or lower, may help the problem as well.

If it's a circulation problem, the root cause is likely the same, something is too tight. Circulation issues are usually associated with loss of motor-function and/or forms of pain though, whereas nerve issues are usually numbness or a sharp, shooting type pain.

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
The numbness is caused by either pressure on a nerve or lack of circulation due to compression.

I used to lose sensation in my fingers on each hand starting with my pinking and working towards my index fingers as it progressed. It seems to be linked to hiking with a heavy pack without using trekking poles. I never did find out the specific cause, but it was nerve related and had to do with my posture and how I held my arms with the heavy pack on. I never happened using trekking poles, I am guessing because my posture and how I carried and used my arms was different and didn't impact the affected nerves in the same way.

Your sciatic nerve runs from your lower back down through the posterior side of each of your legs. I'd guess that something around your waist or lower back is getting compressed to the point that a bundle of nerves is affected to the point that your leg goes numb. As others have said, a bulk pants belt cold do it. The waist design of the pants you are wearing, even the design of the pack and pack hip belt padding could be doing it. As much as I love my Exo 2K, the waist belt and padding are pretty poor on their packs.

I'd experiment with a few different combos of pants, belts, and packs to see if you can find things that either palliate or provoke the issue. Also try moving the waist belt around on your hips as well, where it rides, higher or lower, may help the problem as well.

If it's a circulation problem, the root cause is likely the same, something is too tight. Circulation issues are usually associated with loss of motor-function and/or forms of pain though, whereas nerve issues are usually numbness or a sharp, shooting type pain.
I have had L5/S1 discectomy - I'm sure you're right about the circulation/nerve damage. I'll play around with the torso height/belt tightness a little. Thanks

With the symptoms you describe you are suffering from one thing and one thing only: compression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which is called Meralgia Paresthetica. Lots of things can cause this; obesity, tight fitting clothes/belt are the most common. Obviously weight loss will help and or proper fitting clothes/belt or in your case pack waist belt adjustment. It is not a blood flow issue nor is it a sciatic nerve compression issue. Both of those result in different symptoms than what is described above, which was “lateral thigh parathesias/numbness/tingling.

OP
Buffalo0922

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the tips - you guys nailed it.

I shortened the torso height of my pack and wore it higher on my waist than normal. Also ditched the pants belt and was able to do a 80lb pack ruck with zero numbness issues.

I'll try one of the above belt or suspender recommendations next .

Thanks again!

elkkilla1

FNG
I just had this happen over the weekend with just over 100lbs in my pack I really notice when I made the belt really right trying to get the weight off my shoulders. I have a 26in kifaru duplex frame I'm thinking I need to try a 24in to have the pack sit higher on my waist and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you are experiencing similar symptoms as described above you are wearing you pack waist belt to low. A proper waist belt should hug the top of your iliac crests. Basically sit right on top of the superior portion of your iliac crests. This allows your iliac crests/hips to act as a load shelf for your bag which keeps all of the wait on top of your hips at all times. It simply can’t/won’t slide off if positioned and tightened correctly. Not to suggest this is always the cause, but if you have any sort of a prominent gut, the belt will tend to slide down below where it should actually be, leading to improper fit. A pack waist belt (I.e. on top of the iliac crests) is significantly higher/above your normal belt pant waist line. A pack waist belt appropriately positioned on top of the iliac crests has no chance of compressing the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve as it doesn’t exit the lesser pelvis until it descends below the ilioinguinal ligament. A low riding pack waist belt below the iliac crest in the typical belt/pant waist line will indeed put you at risk for these symptoms. If you aren’t certain if you have proper positioning of your pack waist belt, go to your local backpack store and have them fit you or educate you on where the pack should be.

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
You should probably also look into what's causing that nerve issue to begin with and do some PT or stretches to fix the root issue. Tight hip flexors can cause some odd leg nerve issues. Piriformis (sp?) stretches might help too.