Leaving Stands on Public Land in MN

I am starting to think about what land I want to hunt this fall for deer. But I need an answer to this question. There is a giant piece of public land next to my cabin that is called "tax forfeited" on onX. I have hunted WMA and WPA land in MN before and I know you can't use trail cameras or leave your stand overnight on that type of land, which is why I no longer hunt those pieces of land. I know that I can use trail cameras on this tax forfeited land. But I am not sure if I can leave my stand overnight. I did a little research and it sounds like I can't. Which is weird because I have hunted public land up north before and everybody leaves their stands overnight. If I can't leave my stand overnight it basically rules it our for me as I am not hiking in my hang on and my climbing sticks every single time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

OP
Dylan Sluis
Update - I dug a little deeper. And I think I can leave my stand overnight on this land. But I am probably going to call the local DNR officer to double check and make sure. But if any of you have any information I'd still love to hear it. Once I get some answers from the DNR officer I will put in another update with what he says.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt a lot of Crow Wing County tax forfeited land. You can leave stand overnight, but you cannot build anything permanent. It may very by county though. Never looked into it elsewhere.

OP
Dylan Sluis
I hunt a lot of Crow Wing County tax forfeited land. You can leave stand overnight, but you cannot build anything permanent. It may very by county though. Never looked into it elsewhere.
That helps a lot. The piece of tax forfeited land next to my cabin is actually in crow wing county. I know that you can't build anything permanent. I use a portable hang on with climbing sticks, so that's not an issue. Thanks!!

The DNR doesn’t make land use rules for county owned tax forfeit land, the county does.

Scottyboy

WKR
We should talk. I’m in ideal corners for the majority of the year

Scottyboy

WKR
That helps a lot. The piece of tax forfeited land next to my cabin is actually in crow wing county. I know that you can't build anything permanent. I use a portable hang on with climbing sticks, so that's not an issue. Thanks!!
If you are anywhere near Pequot/cross I can send you some onx pins

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
As said above, I usually just call the county to be sure as it varies. Also, I'm pretty sure that you CAN use trail cameras on WMA/WPA land, judging from the hundreds I've found over the seasons. The other thing to watch out for, ***technically*** it'll be legal for anyone else to sit your stand if you leave it overnight, so get in there early!

WCB

WKR
As said above, I usually just call the county to be sure as it varies. Also, I'm pretty sure that you CAN use trail cameras on WMA/WPA land, judging from the hundreds I've found over the seasons. The other thing to watch out for, ***technically*** it'll be legal for anyone else to sit your stand if you leave it overnight, so get in there early!
You can use trail cameras on WMA and WPAs however kind of defeats the purpose as they HAVE to be removed each day (not left over night). Only real exception to leaving hunting equipment on public lands in MN is regarding bear hunting over bait. Trail camera's, Barrels, and stands can be placed and left on or near a properly marked bait site.

In the OPs case of county tax land that is up to the individual county.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
You can use trail cameras on WMA and WPAs however kind of defeats the purpose as they HAVE to be removed each day (not left over night). Only real exception to leaving hunting equipment on public lands in MN is regarding bear hunting over bait. Trail camera's, Barrels, and stands can be placed and left on or near a properly marked bait site.

In the OPs case of county tax land that is up to the individual county.
Wow yep I checked and you're totally right. I never have put one out on public but assumed it was legal based on the ones I find each season that aren't even remotely hidden.

It might be legal on public but don't be surprised if theres not someone set up right under or next to you when you get out there. If thats unlikely on this property or doesn't bother you then put it up if legal.

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
I floated a river, trudged through mud and got miles and miles deep to hunt a tax forfeited island. When I got in there I walked past 3 trail cameras. Seems others had the same plan