Learning to hunt by only hunting Coues?

SomeTexan

FNG
Total FNG. A year of hunting under my belt. I am fascinated by Coues and wonder if I should learn to hunt by chasing only Coues or is that folly? I think it would make me a much better hunter much more quickly, but some of my hunting buddies from AZ say my complete and utter failures will ruin hunting for me. Thoughts?

BBob

WKR
I don't see a problem with your plan. As far as deer I started as a Coues hunter and I'd still call myself that primarily over anything else. Failure is definitely on the table though but if you persevere you'll do fine or not :) Learning to hunt and glass for Coues most definitely will transfer to many other things. Desert mule deer wasn't too hard since we can hunt both off the same hills in many places. I hit the ground running on high country mule deer hunts right away after being proficient with Coues. Sheep aren't hard to transfer to if you're a good Coues glasser.

OP
S

SomeTexan

FNG
I don't see a problem with your plan. As far as deer I started as a Coues hunter and I'd still call myself that primarily over anything else. Failure is definitely on the table though but if you persevere you'll do fine or not :) Learning to hunt and glass for Coues most definitely will transfer to many other things. Desert mule deer wasn't too hard since we can hunt both off the same hills in many places. I hit the ground running on high country mule deer hunts right away after being proficient with Coues. Sheep aren't hard to transfer to if you're a good Coues glasser.
'Do fine or not' is the title of my autobiography. Things work out the way they will. thanks for the input; I hadn't even really thought about the fact that desert muleys would be around as I was trying to learn. I think learning to glass for something that doesn't want to be seen will definitely bear fruit across other species, so I just have to expect a bunch of failure before I ever have success. Oh, and there's that whole thing about getting a tag as an out-of-stater.

If you enjoy it , do it. Don ‘t pass up opportunities to hunt other places and game when you get it or are able. Especially if you are young. Skills developed hunting any game cross over from species to species.
One opportunity will lead to the next. You do what you can and enjoy. Let your buddies do the same.