Leaky Tibets?

I was out this weekend hunting in the rain. It pretty much rained all day and of course, all of the vegetation was soaked. By the time I headed back to camp to dry out, my socks and boots were also wet. These Tibet's are new this year, probably less than 100 miles on them total. I chalked up the wet feet to wicking the moisture into my sock and dried my boots overnight. Yesterday, I went out again (no rain but still wet vegetation) and after about 2 hours my feet started to feel wet again. This was originating right at the flex points of both boots. These have been treated religiously with Obenauf's LP, actually two separate treatments before last weekend. I'm not thinking this is a sweaty foot issue as these boots have not felt too hot even in 85F temps. I'm going to use them the rest of the season and perhaps contact Lowa for either repair or replacement. Other than this, I love these boots.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue with my tibets, though they are very well used. I don't remember them leaking when they were new.

mt100gr.

WKR
Hmmm...I have a new-in-july pair of Lowa Ticams and am less than pleased with the "waterproof" attributes. Wet brush and my feet are getting damp. If it's raining much at all, they get wet. And it usually begins along the sides of my feet and in the toes. Not wicking down the socks.

Jager

WKR
Despite what people will say, if you are going hunting in wet conditions, you WILL get wet feet, pure and simple, anyone that says otherwise has never spent much time hunting in the wet, fact is, it is part of the game, period.

SDHNTR

WKR
That just happens. My Meindls leak at the flex points and they are mostly new too. I also think Obenaufs sucks as a waterproofer. Not sure yet what is better but after multiple attempts with multiple applications of Obenaufs', I'm far from impressed.

Craig4791

WKR
Grease them well ahead of your hunt and keep them greased in the field. They will do much better. I just spent over two weeks in Idaho hunting Moose in swamps and meadows and kept my Tibets greased and they never got more than damp.

SDHNTR

WKR
Grease them well ahead of your hunt and keep them greased in the field. They will do much better. I just spent over two weeks in Idaho hunting Moose in swamps and meadows and kept my Tibets greased and they never got more than damp.
Not a bad idea, but who's gonna carry a tub of grease in their pack?

InDeep

WKR
Lowa's have to be greased often, very often like once a month often!.. It is just the way the nubuk leather is!

Shrek

WKR
I keep snowseal in the center console and keep smearing it on my non goretex boots and I keep my feet reasonably dry in wet conditions and without the plastic bag inside my boot the breath better and they dry pretty quickly. I decided that for most trips with average conditions I'm better off without goretex and just constantly treating my boots. I really need to try seam sealing the sewing because that's where the water comes in usually. Once the water hits the untreated backside of the leather they're soaked through quick. Really wet conditions...buy rubber boots.

Craig4791

WKR
Well you can bring a whole barrel of it if you want but a small tube will do just fine. A little goes a long ways.

JPD350

WKR
"Part of the game" So are you all saying that when consumer buys a 400.00 high performance boot they should disregard what the manufacture claims??? I am sorry but this is no game, when a business takes your money in exchange for a product they need to be held to the standards or claims they set for themselves or they will never solve the inadequacies with their product. No one expects the leather to stay waterproof but the inside of the boot should stay dry from incoming water for at least for one year as long as you use the manufacturer's approved leather waterproofing so you do not compromise the GoreTex fabric.

Lowa claims the Hunters and Tibets to be "waterproof" not "water resistant" big difference! for the first year of use the consumer should expect what the manufacture claims, there are no stipulations on how much water the boot can take before failing. Send the boots back until they either change what they claim or they make the boot comply with their waterproof claim, PERIOD.

This is the Lowa warranty;
Your LOWA boots are warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase. Your exclusive remedy for breach of such warranty is repair or replacement of your LOWA boots. If your LOWA boots need repair of replacement due to defect in workmanship or materials, simply return your LOWA boots to your LOWA boots dealer with proof of purchase within 12 months of purchase.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
For some reason the Lowa warranty will not post, so just go to the Lowa website to see their warranty.

Yea I hunted in some wet conditions the other day. Sleeting. Wet grass. When I got home I literally dumped water out of my tibets. Kinda ridiculous. I put waterproof cream on pretty regularly.

SDHNTR

WKR
"Part of the game" So are you all saying that when consumer buys a 400.00 high performance boot they should disregard what the manufacture claims??? I am sorry but this is no game, when a business takes your money in exchange for a product they need to be held to the standards or claims they set for themselves or they will never solve the inadequacies with their product. No one expects the leather to stay waterproof but the inside of the boot should stay dry from incoming water for at least for one year as long as you use the manufacturer's approved leather waterproofing so you do not compromise the GoreTex fabric.

Lowa claims the Hunters and Tibets to be "waterproof" not "water resistant" big difference! for the first year of use the consumer should expect what the manufacture claims, there are no stipulations on how much water the boot can take before failing. Send the boots back until they either change what they claim or they make the boot comply with their waterproof claim, PERIOD.

This is the Lowa warranty;
Your LOWA boots are warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase. Your exclusive remedy for breach of such warranty is repair or replacement of your LOWA boots. If your LOWA boots need repair of replacement due to defect in workmanship or materials, simply return your LOWA boots to your LOWA boots dealer with proof of purchase within 12 months of purchase.

Agreed, but good luck with that. Someone should start a class and take Gore Tex to court. Any enterprising attorneys here?

gelton

WKR
Yea I hunted in some wet conditions the other day. Sleeting. Wet grass. When I got home I literally dumped water out of my tibets. Kinda ridiculous. I put waterproof cream on pretty regularly.

Goretex has a lifetime warranty, even after the manufacturers warranty runs out. I have never used their warranty but if I were you I would certainly be giving them a call. I would be interested in what they have to say.