Lead Contamination Great Lakes

WCB

WKR
Most tournaments have a clause as does this one where the Tournament Director or a body of organizers reserve the right to enforce the rules and possible violations. Under this tournaments rules the SPORTSMANSHIP clause was violated and the TD should have the right to DQ the team for it. There is also a clause for properly handling fish which stuffing fillets and lead weights down would DQ them as that is not proper care for the fish.

KurtR

WKR
Most tournaments have a clause as does this one where the Tournament Director or a body of organizers reserve the right to enforce the rules and possible violations. Under this tournaments rules the SPORTSMANSHIP clause was violated and the TD should have the right to DQ the team for it. There is also a clause for properly handling fish which stuffing fillets and lead weights down would DQ them as that is not proper care for the fish.
I would agree with that from a tourney stand point but from the legal side i think it will be hard for them to be charged and convicted in a court. The court of public opinion has pretty much gave these guys the electric chair and they deserved every bit of it.

Nothing new with the Great Lakes, they've been a mess forever. If you think about it, the world is a mess, just take it for what it's worth an enjoy your fish once or twice a week and let the chips fall.

OP
Monotone Matt
Nothing new with the Great Lakes, they've been a mess forever. If you think about it, the world is a mess, just take it for what it's worth an enjoy your fish once or twice a week and let the chips fall.
The title of this thread is a joke, the link I posted takes you to a story about a cheating scandal in a fishing tournament

In a felony case they have to be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. How is a four pound fish going to be living with a 3 pound lead weight in its stomach? How did the walleye fillets get there? Who else would have put that stuff there if they proceeded straight to weigh in? I don’t think they stand a chance in court.
I agree with you. Anyone who looks it this agrees who put the items in the fish. I think 99.9% of people on a jury would too. I don't know what kinda validity it would hold if these guys simply said "I caught them that way." Obviously they didn't, but I feel like it would be on prosecution to prove that those items were placed by these guys. Without a fish to match the fillets, video, or maybe the discovery of similar weights in their boat or a video/receipt of the purchase of the weights; it will come down to a he said/she said. If the judge tells the prosecution they need an actual way to prove the items were placed in the fish by the defendants, it could be tough. That's how I see it anyways. They didn't say a word in the video while it all went down and if they were smart they stayed that way. (My only knowledge of how the justice system works is from watching dateline)

Now there are two guys here. Both of them are untrustworthy worms. The most likely road to conviction is one snitching out the other to stay out of the pokey. Hell, that's probably already happened.

edit: sorry for the name calling mods. But it's towards guys not on the forum that sure seem like they've earned it. Don't put me in timeout without warning!

Last edited:

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with some family members that were there and was told that after the lead weight reveal, those guys were lucky to get out of there in one piece.

svivian

WKR
I agree with you. Anyone who looks it this agrees who put the items in the fish. I think 99.9% of people on a jury would too. I don't know what kinda validity it would hold if these guys simply said "I caught them that way." Obviously they didn't, but I feel like it would be on prosecution to prove that those items were placed by these guys. Without a fish to match the fillets, video, or maybe the discovery of similar weights in their boat or a video/receipt of the purchase of the weights; it will come down to a he said/she said. If the judge tells the prosecution they need an actual way to prove the items were placed in the fish by the defendants, it could be tough. That's how I see it anyways. They didn't say a word in the video while it all went down and if they were smart they stayed that way. (My only knowledge of how the justice system works is from watching dateline)

Now there are two guys here. Both of them are untrustworthy worms. The most likely road to conviction is one snitching out the other to stay out of the pokey. Hell, that's probably already happened.

edit: sorry for the name calling mods. But it's towards guys not on the forum that sure seem like they've earned it. Don't put me in timeout without warning!
You're right and really the way the justice system should work even if sometimes the outcome seems obvious.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
For what? Unless someone has hard proof that they cheated while winning the other money, the justice system doesn't charge on speculation. And no money was ever awarded to them during this tournament so what can they be charged with? Serious question, I'm not defending these trash humans. I just don't see charges anywhere here. They were essentially playing a game and got caught cheating; it's like corking a bat during a softball tournament as far as I'm concerned. People are calling for them to have their fishing licenses removed for life. Again, what's the game violation to justify that? Maybe there is something specific to their state.
Fraud. Winner was getting over 30 grand. Many states have prosecuted for this, especially bass tournaments in southern states. I’m sure the entry rules and $400.00 entry fees have the appropriate legal language.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Lake Erie fishing is big $$$. A great fishery. Marinas, hotels, small town bait shops. Tournaments and other wise.
I’m sure the powers that be will send a message.

The title of this thread is a joke, the link I posted takes you to a story about a cheating scandal in a fishing tournament
There you are again, making jokes about serious s#@!. You think you got away with something making fun of my dad the Colorado wolf thread??!! You are not welcome in round valley.

Plus what if I fed one of my kids a walleye infected with lead sinkers and they ingested the lead? You think lead poisoning in a 6 year old is funny?! Not cool monotone Matt. You need to do some serious soyl searching bro.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
These two cheaters will hopefully get nailed big time. Robby Rose did the same crap in Texas

Paint me wrong (for now). Didn't know you could get criminally charged for "cheating." I'll keep that in mind while playing Candy Land with my 4 year old. I've stacked the deck a couple times and have unethically taken a few starburst from him when we were getting too close to bedtime.

Glad they must've found a game violation - "unlawful ownership of wild animals." Should be interesting to see what that all includes!

NB7

WKR
Glad they must've found a game violation - "unlawful ownership of wild animals." Should be interesting to see what that all includes!
Well that ended up being one of them, among others.
Loss of his $100K bassboat too looks like

Scoot

WKR

Paint me wrong (for now). Didn't know you could get criminally charged for "cheating." I'll keep that in mind while playing Candy Land with my 4 year old. I've stacked the deck a couple times and have unethically taken a few starburst from him when we were getting too close to bedtime.

Unless you're playing candy land for $100K+, I think this is apples and oranges. They were not criminally charged with "cheating", but they were trying to steal from a bunch of others. ...and not just steal a little bit of cash either.

The starbursts, on the other hand... we've all done that! :)