Late season elk tactics

Zach95

FNG
Drew a late season tag, Rock slide won't let me say where 🙄, anyways, what are some good tactics, mature bulls will be by themselves I know, never hunted late elk so don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks!
I have hunted November roosevelt elk in the Oregon coast range timber country quite a bit. Even during that time I often find rag horns with herds in timber cuts, so if hunting for meat, glassing at dawn or dusk can pay off. However, my best strategy so far is to target north facing ridges near small pockets of potential feeding areas with varying ages of timber. Late season mature bulls don't seem to want to travel far or be bothered so I prioritize spots with feed close by and where terrain might deter other hunters. Those ridges I like to slowly hunt downhill early in the day while thermals are rising and always be quiet and ready as a solo bull may not leave much sign. Keep your head on a swivel and looking up. I've found several bedded on ridges I wouldn't expect due to lack of sign. I'll repeat this, hitting as many ridges as I can until I find elk. E scouting has paid off for me as well, helping me find potential benches along north facing ridges, but nothing beats getting boots on the ground before the season and finding likely bedding areas and benches along those ridges.

Drew a late season tag, Rock slide won't let me say where 🙄, anyways, what are some good tactics, mature bulls will be by themselves I know, never hunted late elk so don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks!

If it's rockies you're talking about, and your hunting location isn't a pancake flat P/J jungle, glassing is going to be your best tactical option, hands down.

If it is a pancake flat P/J jungle, tracking is going to be your best option. But, flat P/J jungles are relatively rare, so plan on glassing.

In the jungles of western Mt, glassing is an occasional thing. The bulls are in the timber during the day. I've seen them feed on the freeways all night and then bed on the ridgetops - 4-6 miles away.

They get closer to the cows by thanksgiving. The raghorns and spikes hang around momma for guidance.

The big bulls are hard to find and have been known to bed in 4 ft of snow. Lots of luck!

Chief23

FNG
Cold, Snow and find the water and food source so they have to feed longer. I always frequent areas that have very little human activity. (hell holes)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple of days I watched big November bulls way back in. One with a tag and one deer hunting. Commonalities both took 3-4 hours to get to with 2000 plus feet of elevation gain and both offered feed and lots of security, with both bulls feeding till close to noon. One in Montana that I took after the backcountry got 10 feet of snow the week prior pushing the late bulls into their winter retreat/goat country that offered heavy security and some late season feed with good afternoon sun. Bull two fed for several hours in the very back of this timbered drainage in the sun till around noon and he bedded in the wide open. He was killed two yrs later in the same canyon in September scoring 350ish. They will feed hard and till late morning have those binos glassing often and far off.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 41

Erebor

FNG
Its pinon juniper terrain. Average Nov temps are in the 50's and 60's. Looks like classic Arizona habitat.