Late season elk distances/camping strategies

Hoodie

WKR
I'm mulling over picking up a leftover rifle tag here in Oregon with mid November season dates. I haven't hunted elk in a couple years and only have early season experience. In September I would be backpacking into any of the areas I'm considering, but the additional weight of late season gear has me questioning that plan.

For people who hunt backcountry areas in November:

1) What distance will you hike in and out from a truck camp each day? At what distance are you considering a spike camp?

2) Has anyone been bold/dumb enough to try bivy hunting this time of year? If so, what did your shelter and sleep system look like?

This area won't have brutally cold temperatures (probably lows in the low 30s/high 20s), but snow is almost guaranteed. I'm wondering if I could get away with a very warm synthetic bag, a bivy sack, and a tarp for 1-2 nights at a time. I don't want to invest in a bomber 4 season tent that I'll hardly ever use.

Jon Boy

WKR
I’m pretty reduced to a late season elk hunter now and i absolutely hate it and love it all at the same time. A nice base camp or hunting from home always sounds so nice, and I still do it often. However, spike camping is so much more effective. It takes so long and so much energy to get into country that time of year with snow on the ground and critters are pressured. You need to be there first and last light. Once you get the right gear you won’t regret it and it’s semi enjoyable. But, don’t think you are going to hike in and stay 5 days. The elk will be there or they won’t. If there’s snow on the ground it will be very apparent. Spend two glassing sessions and then move. Either back to the truck or to the next big vantage. For me it’s usually back to the truck and to the next area as my country is pretty broken and a master vantage doesn’t offer much.

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
I’m pretty reduced to a late season elk hunter now and i absolutely hate it and love it all at the same time. A nice base camp or hunting from home always sounds so nice, and I still do it often. However, spike camping is so much more effective. It takes so long and so much energy to get into country that time of year with snow on the ground and critters are pressured. You need to be there first and last light. Once you get the right gear you won’t regret it and it’s semi enjoyable. But, don’t think you are going to hike in and stay 5 days. The elk will be there or they won’t. If there’s snow on the ground it will be very apparent. Spend two glassing sessions and then move. Either back to the truck or to the next big vantage. For me it’s usually back to the truck and to the next area as my country is pretty broken and a master vantage doesn’t offer much.

Yeah this is pretty much what I figured I'd hear. Guess it's time to start shopping for a burlier tent.