Late Onset Solo DIY

I do both but honestly have more success Solo. I never feel rushed on stalks and just do what I want to do. The packouts can be brutal, not doable if you are in shape. I carry an inreach and have buddies that typically have an idea where I will be in case of trouble. Some of my areas are over and hour on a SxS. My biggest worry is breaking down or breaking something on me while packing out heavy. This last year I actually did 2 trips instead of 1 on a nice sized muley. The terrain was pretty steep and I weighed the pro's and Con's of 1 trip vs. 2.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My younger brother and I had been rifle hunting in Montana and bow hunting in Idaho from the truck, but we decided we wanted to do a full-on, go deep backpack hunt. So in 2013 we made it happen in SW Colorado in the San Juan's. I was 51 and he was 49. We have been back several times since. My brother has run into some health issues and his mountain days are probably done. So at age 62 I'm seriously planning to do it solo. I'll actually be 63 when it happens - not going to make it this year.
So - the first year we went to SW Colorado my brother and I were up high picking our way across some intermittent scree fields. We stopped in a wooded finger to take a break and eat an energy bar. We had been there for a few minutes when we heard something crashing and breaking up out of a deep ravine and then go clattering across the scree. It went right behind us, but we couldn't see it through the pines. I grabbed my bugle and let out a couple loud ones, hoping I could stop it, and possibly get it moving our way. As we were intently watching the woods making a few cow calls we hear some twigs snap to our right - when we look over, we see an older gentleman slowly working his way up out of the ravine. We end up sitting on the mountain having a nice conversation with the man. He said he thought my bugle was the bull he jumped out of the ravine. He complimented me on the bugle, so that gave me some confidence. He commented that he never saw other hunters this far up - we told him we didn't know any better. Talking to him, we find out he had been coming to that location for the past 10-12 years solo. He packed in on the first day of bow season and stayed the entire month, unless he shot an elk sooner. He would come out once or twice to replenish his supplies at the truck when needed. If he got one, he packed it out himself. He slept under a lean-to tarp structure - not a tent. This guy was the real deal - he was raw boned and you could just tell tough as nails. Super nice guy - we ended up exchanging names and emails and kept in touch for several years. The point of this whole story is - this guy was 72 years old.
I have my doubts I'll be able to be hitting the mountains like he was when I'm 72, but it's something to shoot for. I will need to make some life style changes, that's for sure!

I much prefer hunting solo when I'm at the area I'm actually hunting. The pack outs & camp part don't bother me but the logistics of getting to & from home to hunt area are the biggest issue. I can't see myself driving 28 + hours each way. Having a vehicle issue or just going into a restaurant/ store or staying in a hotel or sleeping at a rest area without having someone else to watch all your stuff. Couple years ago we got stuck coming down the mountain. Hit some Colorado chocolate pudding & almost slid into a deep ravine. It was a real bitch getting out of that situation & it took all 3 of us a while to do it. No way one person could've done it.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a few guided hunts and done a few DIY hunts with other folks, but really like having the solitude, freedom, and simplicity of spending time with myself. Have been building points in multiple states for multiple species, for several years now. 46 years old and want to start putting in for tags without coordinating with anyone else, and just go and do my own thing. I don't have any illusions about packing out an elk by myself....would definitely line up a packer to have on call. I take a Garmin Inreach wherever I go, even on guided trips.

Rokslide at its core is a DIY site, and I know many folks go solo. My question is, how late do you think, age wise, is too late to start doing that? Or is age irrelevant? I live back east if it matters.
Im 52 and hunt almost entirely solo. I just always have and I have no plans to change. I stay in shape, and plan for all eventualities I can. I think every bodies capabilities and confidence is different. test yourself but don't be stupid. My last dyi backcountry, solo hunt was a ten day ID mountain goat, at age 49.

Since a lot of solo hunters are reading this I have a questions (sorry for the thread rob OP).

On backpack hunts, do you have your Garmin Inreach or similar SOS device on at all times, just turn it on periodically to update family, or only turn it on if needed...like REALLY needed?

ianpadron

WKR
I ran into a fella back in WA well into his 60s packing out a bull from waaayyy back... that was an eye opener to me. Fitness is everything. Attitude helps too.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since a lot of solo hunters are reading this I have a questions (sorry for the thread rob OP).

On backpack hunts, do you have your Garmin Inreach or similar SOS device on at all times, just turn it on periodically to update family, or only turn it on if needed...like REALLY needed?
I only turn mine on at night otherwise my wife would be blowing it up with text messages

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

If I'm by myself I have it on all the time & outside of my pack where it's easily accessible. If something bad happens you don't want to have to dig around for it, turn it on & hope it picks up a signal without waiting a few minutes

Deadfall

WKR
I've done a few guided hunts and done a few DIY hunts with other folks, but really like having the solitude, freedom, and simplicity of spending time with myself. Have been building points in multiple states for multiple species, for several years now. 46 years old and want to start putting in for tags without coordinating with anyone else, and just go and do my own thing. I don't have any illusions about packing out an elk by myself....would definitely line up a packer to have on call. I take a Garmin Inreach wherever I go, even on guided trips.

Rokslide at its core is a DIY site, and I know many folks go solo. My question is, how late do you think, age wise, is too late to start doing that? Or is age irrelevant? I live back east if it matters.
When I was in my 20s I ran into a guy in Colorado mountains that was packing an elk by himself. He was 73 yrs old...

I carry a PLB on me, partially because I already have two of them for offshore boat trips but also because I'm not terribly interested in being obligated to report in to anyone. If I'm alive I can trip the PLB and somebody will come for me sooner or later, if I'm not alive then the Inreach isn't going to help either.

Beendare

WKR
I have the Zoleo...works great. I check in with it every so often, thats how I found out my daughter needed emergency surgery last year while I was in the backcountry.

46? What a pup! I took up dirt biking at 44. I’m not in especially super shape… just too dumb to know any better.

I’m 63 in my avatar photo, three years ago. Elevation about 9k, about 8-9 miles from the trailhead. Not solo but it’s not cuz I’m old… I’d just rather hunt with my son and my brother. I did go solo one year about ten years ago and realized I really missed having company. I usually go in solo two days early every year and set up a drop camp for everyone. I do enjoy that two days of solitude. If you’re happy hunting alone, go do it.

I think having an outfitter on the string to pack your animal out is a great idea. We usually pack ours back into our drop camp and then the outfitter takes our gear and the animal(s) out.

Age is only a number. Keep in shape year round and have a positive attitude. I wouldn't brother with a packer to get your game off the Mountain. They're notoriously unreliable and of course full paying guided hunters get top priority. Get familiar with the "gutless" method and quartering your down game. Perhaps practice on your next deer or antelope. Just keep it manageable and pack out only as much dead weight as you can reasonably handle. Using trekking poles for packouts is super helpful.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not on bowsite, but I think he lives just down the road from me. If it's the same 83yr old Paul.

I ran into him duck hunting last season. Breaking ice on a frozen reservoir, sleeping in the bed of his truck...
I think his full name is Paul Navaro.