Last Minute Cancellation Stone Sheep Hunt - Gear Help

I took the plunge and jumped on a cancellation stone sheep hunt in BC and leave on September 29th and hunt till the end of the season. Typically one would have lots of time to prep but unfortunately that is not the case. I have a few questions as I'm trying to consolidate all the equipment and being that the weather will be colder than a typical August sheep hunt I want to make sure i am prepared for the 20 to 50 degree temperatures.
- Sleeping bag: i have a Kifaru 20 deg. bag which i don't think will be sufficient, looking at Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0 degree but am open to suggestions
- Boots: Unfortunately this is probably the biggest issue as I don't have the time i would like. I have a new pair of Crispi Hunter GTX which i believe have 200g of insulation. Will these be sufficient and if not suggestions?
- Boxer briefs: I have used the first lite merino back in 2016 wasn't a super fan, any other suggestions?
- Pants: I have KUIU attack pants was contemplating guide pants or the axis pants
- Jacket: I have a KUIU guide jacket, should i upgrade and if so what are people using
- Insulated jacket: i have a Kenai jacket will this be warm enough or should i upgrade?
- Gloves: I have quite a few pairs but nothing i'm absolutely in love with
-Rain gear: I should be good here, I have Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants
- headlamps: i have some older clunky ones so looking to replace

Thanks in advance.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve never hunted Stones in that time frame but I’d definitely suggest upgrading puffy. I have a Kenai and love it but it’s not a sit still puffy. I just returned from a hunt with similar temp ranges and was glad to have better insulated down puffy with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
I’ve never hunted Stones in that time frame but I’d definitely suggest upgrading puffy. I have a Kenai and love it but it’s not a sit still puffy. I just returned from a hunt with similar temp ranges and was glad to have better insulated down puffy with me.

which puffy do you have?

schmalzy

WKR
which puffy do you have?

I’ve got one in grey that I think is a year or two old. Bought it on here. Pretty similar to the SG Grumman from what I can tell.

I took the plunge and jumped on a cancellation stone sheep hunt in BC and leave on September 29th and hunt till the end of the season. Typically one would have lots of time to prep but unfortunately that is not the case. I have a few questions as I'm trying to consolidate all the equipment and being that the weather will be colder than a typical August sheep hunt I want to make sure i am prepared for the 20 to 50 degree temperatures.
Stone's are my dream hunt! I'm curious which outfitter had a cancellation pop up. I hunted goats in BC with similar dates.

- Sleeping bag: i have a Kifaru 20 deg. bag which i don't think will be sufficient, looking at Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0 degree but am open to suggestions
I got cold at night. I'd definitely make this change. SG Chilkoot 0 seems like a great choice.

- Boots: Unfortunately this is probably the biggest issue as I don't have the time i would like. I have a new pair of Crispi Hunter GTX which i believe have 200g of insulation. Will these be sufficient and if not suggestions?
These should work great. I was wearing uninsulated Crispi Nevada. You still have time to get the boots ready and Crispi's didn't seem to need an extended break-in.

- Boxer briefs: I have used the first lite merino back in 2016 wasn't a super fan, any other suggestions?
My current favorite merino boxer is the Stone Glacier Merino 6. Better fit than the First Lite (for me) and they seem to hold their shape better.

- Pants: I have KUIU attack pants was contemplating guide pants or the axis pants
I'd stick to the Attack pants. Get a zip-away baselayer for mornings before a climb. My guide did switch between Attack and Guide pants, depending on the day. I remember thinking the Talus pant would've been great for all but the big climbs. I think Axis would be too hot.

- Jacket: I have a KUIU guide jacket, should i upgrade and if so what are people using
- Insulated jacket: i have a Kenai jacket will this be warm enough or should i upgrade?
I would use the Kenai as your main jacket. It worked extremely well for my goat hunt. I'd ditch the Guide jacket and add a true puffy for glassing. I use Kuiu's Superdown Pro. Sitka has a similar jacket called the Kelvin Light Down if you can find it. Stone glacier probably has one too.

- Gloves: I have quite a few pairs but nothing i'm absolutely in love with
I had First Lite fingerless merino gloves and Kuiu Expedition gloves. The Expedition gloves were nice to have in the mornings on horseback. Not sure you'll be on horseback, if not, could probably go lighter. The Kuiu Axis glove would've been about perfect for my goat hunt.

-Rain gear: I should be good here, I have Kuiu Yukon jacket and pants
Kuiu Yukon should be great. That's what I use.

- headlamps: i have some older clunky ones so looking to replace

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on the hunt!
I would definitely suggest purchasing a good puffy jacket.
Attack pants should be fine with a good removable base layer. I would also consider a pair of puffy pants for glassing.
Your sleeping bag (even with a liner) may not be sufficient for the possible cold temps.
Unless you are someone who has issues with cold feet your current boots should be just fine.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

Rackmastr

WKR
I've done a couple 'end of season' stone sheep hunts. You can sure get a pile of different types of conditions, especially depending on the area you hunt and which year you're hunting.

Puffy jacket/pants I find really nice for sitting and glassing, or even just being at camp. Also work well if you need them with your sleeping system.

I'd probably upgrade my sleeping bag, dependent on the type of camp you'll be hunting from. Comfort at night goes a long ways and those nights start getting longer as the season gets later.

Gloves - I like a combo of something thats water proof/resistant for hiking, and then some sort of insulating glove/mitt to wear while glassing.

I personally love my Sitka boxers. They fit great and have a nice mix of warmth and breathability I've found for a long range of seasons.

Amazing hunts those late season stones, and the capes are truly awesome seeing how haired up they get late season!!!

buckpro

FNG
I've hunted that timeframe in the yukon, coldest morning was 7. The boots should be good, thats what I wore, with darntough insulated socks.
I wore the attack pants the whole 10 days, had a base layer underneath. When we would settle in i would put on the kuiu down pants and if it was really cold i'd put the rain pants over. Never got cold per say. I had a pair of guide pants but gave them to my guide because he was freezing. He wouldn't shut up about them.

Add a good vest, down puffy up top. Lightweight and can take off when moving.

Gloves, have a light working pair but the kuiu expedition gloves were worth their weight in gold a few times.

Headlamp, Fenix all day long.

I still have my exact lists for both stone sheep hunts, PM if you want it.

Although not sheep specific, been on several first half of Oct DIY moose, caribou and sheep hunts in N BC. I used Attack pants with COSTCO Paradox poly/merino blend longies and/or some heavy 220 weight KUIU zip-offs under them. Always carry and sometimes use KUIU zip-off Superdown puffy pants too....especially around camp. Even added the Chugach NX rain pants layer when it was around 0* F one super cold morning when it cleared after 5" of snow. Just be prepared to layer! Lately I do like the KUIU Peloton 97 zip-offs as an option too. Very light and warm.

Used a KUIU Spindrift jacket plus a Super Down hooded jacket on top over a zip-neck Paradox poly/merino base layer shirt and a Cabelas Micro-tex shirt when it was super cold. Shed layers according to the climb and conditions. The Spindrift is the synthetic predecessor of the Kenai and is large enough to be a top layer as well as breathable so you can wear it climbing without sweat buildup. Glassing and for wind and snow I'd add the Chugach NX rain gear top.

I wore either 400 g Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots mostly, but on quad in hunts would add Muck heavily insulated boots...not practical on a backpack sheep hunt.

At night I used a 15*F KUIU Superdown bag and layered up as req'd...very cold nights I wore most of what I listed above. Always slept in my socks, long underwear, Attack pants, and for very cold nights added the Superdown zip-offs puffy pants. Got by just fine with the lighter bag and a lot of layer options.

Good luck on your hunt!!

BDRam16

WKR
There’s a really good video on YouTube with Kendall from Crispi talking about their insulation and how the 200g is equivalent to more in other brands with how it’s designed.