Last minute boot change reco….

satchamo

WKR
Well life happened again and my late rifle AZ season is approaching quickly. I’ve had a pair of Hanwag alverstones in wide that I wore during turkey season with no issues at all. Finally I had found a boot without heel lift (for me).

Anyways fast forward and I’ve been out hiking in a local park (you can tell there is a reoccurring theme of procrastination here) and suddenly I’m getting bad rub on the top of my little right toe. I wear darn tough socks and have tried multiple pairs. Today wore a bit thicker pair but after about 2 miles I had to stop and put a bandaid on that toe…

So here we are again looking for another boot to try…. I would say I’m looking for a moderate mountain boot - I’m not hunting high alpine or sheep or caring stupid heavy loads. Waterproof is absolutely necessary. I do prefer a leather/rubber rand style but open to synthetic options.

Here is what I have tried and had fit issues of one kind or another.

-lowa tibets
- crispi wyoming
-salewa mtn trainer
-Solomon quests (my favorite prior to these alverstones but still got heel lift)
-non wide alverstones
-wide alverstones

I have big feet - I am wearing a 13.5 in the alverstones but generally get 14s due to 13.5 being an option from very few brands.

So anyways - I’m about ready to bulk order a few pairs to try so I’m opening up panel here for suggestion on some boots to try…. Remember sz 14 needs to be an option.

Thanks in advance!

matthewmt

WKR
I'm happy with lapponia but want to try the altitudes.
If you're expecting dry conditions in AZ the quest may still do the job.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I'm happy with lapponia but want to try the altitudes.
If you're expecting dry conditions in AZ the quest may still do the job.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I get bad heel lift with them. I have to pretape or they destroy my feet. Really trying to get away from boots that require additional “protection”

Radosilver

Lil-Rokslider
I'm generally a size 12.5, but my Hobbit feet are at least EE width and probably closer to EEEE. I've hunted in Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, Kenetrek Mountain Guide, Crispi Colorado, Crispi Wildrock, Lowa Hunter, and Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunters. I've bought and returned boots from Hanwag, Schnees, Zamberlan, Lowa and maybe others that I'm forgetting. The Lathrop & Sons wides and Crispi wides have given me the best toe box room without heel slip. Zamberlan seem roomy too but I had heel slip in the ones I ordered so they were sent back.

I say tape and go. Experiment with lacing your boots. Easy on the toes, tight across the ankle. Insoles can help too. Getting your feet in shape help too. I two layer the Leuko and never have any issues.

jchamwv

FNG
With the money you have spent on boots that don't fit I would give Lathrop & Sons custom fit service a call. They basically build the boot to your foot.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
With the money you have spent on boots that don't fit I would give Lathrop & Sons custom fit service a call. They basically build the boot to your foot.
I’ve considered it. They’re only 1.5 hours away from where I live.