Lapping Rings Still Necessary These Days?

Got a new Tikka and some Sportsmatch rings. Never leveled and scoped a rifle on my own before. Think I would need to lap the rings? I don't care if I scratch the tube a bit. Also read where some guys will put different types of tape inside the ring for better grip. Do modern rings need to be lapped these days?

Ram94

WKR
Got a new Tikka and some Sportsmatch rings. Never leveled and scoped a rifle on my own before. Think I would need to lap the rings? I don't care if I scratch the tube a bit. Also read where some guys will put different types of tape inside the ring for better grip. Do modern rings need to be lapped these days?

I looked into this same thing not long ago and originally had a set of Talley’s that I needed to lap. I came to the conclusion that they were probably out of line due to mounting to the receiver via the pre-tapped screw holes and them not being drilled 100% in line. I sent those packing and put on a set of sportsmatch which didn’t need lapping at all because they mount directly to the dovetail rail which is very true.

You can check them, but I’ll bet they don’t need it.

TheGDog

WKR
DNZ Game-Reaper 1-piece mount. They are crazy tough too. Had a slip-and-fall with my .30-30 in my hand. The fall shattered my wrist, and the slam of the rifle to the bank of the creek bent the ocular bell of that scope. When I finally healed? That scope was STILL zeroed. Took my biggest Buck with it. Still is zeroed to this day. Still haven't touched the clickers since first zeroed it in.

Pic:
WP_20170424_001.jpg

OP
L
DNZ Game-Reaper 1-piece mount. They are crazy tough too. Had a slip-and-fall with my .30-30 in my hand. The fall shattered my wrist, and the slam of the rifle to the bank of the creek bent the ocular bell of that scope. When I finally healed? That scope was STILL zeroed. Took my biggest Buck with it. Still is zeroed to this day. Still haven't touched the clickers since first zeroed it in.

Pic:
View attachment 201873
Wow! That's awesome. Sucks you injured your wrist though!

TheGDog

WKR
Wow! That's awesome. Sucks you injured your wrist though!
Yeah... eventually I need to have them go back in there and yank the 13 screws and the plate that looks like a Gillette Shaver, sorta. Starts to hurt if you try to do curls with any decent weight. And when the kid was younger, OMG!! He'd grab my wrist in such a way that his fingers seemed to push... I guess my tendons? Up against the long edge of the plate in there and boy that feels creepy and painful and not good!

EDIT: Now have those DNZ's on the .223 and .308 as well.

Tmac

WKR
I rarely lap rings, but do always check. I mount the rings, take the tops off, and hope the scope sets in nicely. Wiggle it a bit and if all is smooth, put the tops on and mount it. If the rings are vertically split, it’s not so easy, but can be done with care. I’d not put in tape unless it was recommended. I did use some one piece S&K rings, they recommended NAPA gasket compound of some sort. I’d probably do that before tape, as it would squeeze out and seal. But as long as you use a torque wrench, the right tape should be OK. I‘d be concerned about moisture and shrinkage of tape. Odds are you won’t need lapping or tape, we sure didn’t before we knew we needed to...

I spend much more time with thread locking compounds on ring and base screws, de-greasing the threads on the receiver and rings, and a good torque wrench than lapping compound. I think I’ve only felt like I needed to lap a few of the many scopes I’ve mounted. My two cents and I may be all wet.

Zdub02

WKR
Second @TheGDog on DNZ bases/rings.... No need for lapping them and they are great quality. Haven't had any issues with mine

High quality rings don't need to be lapped. If you are paying the cost of spuhr, ARC, NF, etc you know what you are getting. I will say even the Talley rings I've used on several rifles didn't need to be lapped. I'm starting to think it's an old wives tale at this point

Ram94

WKR
2ea34f70f63b475414b11fce6839be49.jpg

These are Talleys. Now to be fair, it likely wasn’t the rings that were the problem and was probably the screw holes like I mentioned. I decided not to put my scope in these. A ring that mounts directly to the dovetail is a good way to go.

Lawnboi

WKR
It’s not just the rings that can be out of spec either, it’s possible the receiver is. Imo pretty unlikely with a tikka as it’s not bridged or anything.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not just the rings that can be out of spec either, it’s possible the receiver is. Imo pretty unlikely with a tikka as it’s not bridged or anything.

Exactly. It doesn’t matter how much the rings or bases cost, if the goal is even contact they need to be lapped to some degree. The best way to tell if something needed to be lapped, is to lap it and see. Receivers are far from perfect and can be out in all planes.

260madman

WKR
Everybody talks about the rings but the receivers give the most issues. Rem 700s are notorious of screwing down the front of the base and the rear lifting with a gap under it. Either bed the base or lap the rings at that point or do both and be happy. Receiver screw holes can be drilled off center also.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Please do not lap our rings! Install and rock and roll.

If you own Hawkins Precision rings and get the itch to lap them please contact us first.

Fatcamp

WKR
Please do not lap our rings! Install and rock and roll.

If you own Hawkins Precision rings and get the itch to lap them please contact us first.

How would you know if the receiver holes/rail is properly aligned without performing a light lap on them?