Landscape design

gabenzeke

WKR
We're building a new house. It's going to be on a half acre. One of my goals is to start growing as much of our food as possible. I've always had a garden, but I really want to step it up. Thing is, I couldn't convince my wife to move into the country, so we'll be in a yuppy neighborhood and so it's probably best that I not have a regular rectangular vegetable garden. So, in order to keep the wife happy I'll need to blend it into some decent looking landscaping. I plan to have several dwarf fruit trees as well. Does anyone know of some kind of landscaping design software or app that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg? I see some services in my area, but the cheapest I can find is around a thousand bucks...was really hoping to get a rough idea without spending a pile of money....or any money if I can get away with it. Anybody got any pointers?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

2-Stix

WKR
Do you value good design or just the program to record the concepts you have?

I run a design build firm and there is typically a big delta from professional to home owner in good design.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Do you value good design or just the program to record the concepts you have?

I run a design build firm and there is typically a big delta from professional to home owner in good design.
I want it to look good, but I guess part of me feels like since we won't move in until late November or early December, I might have time to play with the design and get it right myself. Obviously a garden wouldn't go in until 2024. That said, if I mess around with it and don't feel like it is going to look right, then I may just go ahead and pay somebody to do the design and I'll do the work myself. In our current house we had a guy do the design and planned to pay him to do the work. He left the design with us and when we called to give him the go ahead he never responded. So I did it myself. That gave me the motivation to plan on doing the installation and planting myself this time. Just need to get a good plan drawn up. If any of that makes sense...

2-Stix

WKR
Theres some free apps I think. Sketch up, or use graph paper.

www.jweirmasterworks.com

Take a look at my site, a home owner could not design what I design or build. But that doesn't mean I am the right answer or fit for all opportunities that come my way. Is a project design driven, budget driven, how long will the client live in the home, etc...I ask a lot of questions and interview my oppertunies before I take on a job. These are good questions to ask yourself to find out what your true needs are.

If you happy with your design abilities and techinacall installs...you just need to document the project with industry standards (pathways should be 36-48", etc.) Google free programs and think about drafting it yourself.

Good, fast or cheep...pick two...is the old saying.

Hope that helps,
Josh

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Theres some free apps I think. Sketch up, or use graph paper.

www.jweirmasterworks.com

Take a look at my site, a home owner could not design what I design or build. But that doesn't mean I am the right answer or fit for all opportunities that come my way. Is a project design drive, budget driven, how long with the client live in the home, etc...I ask a lot of questions and interview my oppertunies before I take on a job. These are good questions to ask yourself to find out what your true needs are.

If you happy with your design abilities and techinacall installs...you just need to document the project with industry standards (pathways should be 36-48", etc.) Google free programs and think about drafting it yourself.

Good, fast or cheep...pick two...is the old saying.

Hope that helps,
Josh
Holy cow, that's some top notch work!

2-Stix

WKR
Thank you.

Ask yourself what you want out of the expiernce and that should point to the needs and pathway forward.

mt100gr.

WKR
Assuming that you'll be doing your own maintenance and gardening, keep that in mind and build for efficiency of the tasks that are less enjoyable.

I own a landscape maintenance company and it blows my mind how many so called "architects" design landscapes that are so inefficient to maintain. We always joke that landscape designers should have mandatory credit hours working for a landscape maintenance company. The disconnect is ridiculous.

Another thing I see in my day to day is the fact that homeowners and designers alike, must forget that plants grow!! Don't pack them in too close just because they're small now.

2-Stix

WKR
I agree. I am a 4th generation builder, and I spent 15 years in architectural firms before founding my design build company as a general contractor working for elite clients.

There is a huge disconnect from the designers and the builders. And it runs equally both directions. Contractors typically want the easy way out, and designers want it over the top. They need to work together better.

I have always felt every architect needs 2 years of field requirements, and every contractors needs to spend 2 years in a design firm. Both are missing what the others job is.

LoggerDan

WKR
whatev you choose, consider drip emitter irrigation for a small garden on a timer. Different Emitters that use different amounts of water.

Traveler

WKR
maybe you have but dont count out talking to neighbors. I’ve been on less than .5 acres in a yuppy neighborhood and neighbors didn’t care about a square garden, in fact they like it

We're building a new house. It's going to be on a half acre. One of my goals is to start growing as much of our food as possible. I've always had a garden, but I really want to step it up. Thing is, I couldn't convince my wife to move into the country, so we'll be in a yuppy neighborhood and so it's probably best that I not have a regular rectangular vegetable garden. So, in order to keep the wife happy I'll need to blend it into some decent looking landscaping. I plan to have several dwarf fruit trees as well. Does anyone know of some kind of landscaping design software or app that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg? I see some services in my area, but the cheapest I can find is around a thousand bucks...was really hoping to get a rough idea without spending a pile of money....or any money if I can get away with it. Anybody got any pointers?

Tell your wife life is about give and take. You have on the house. She needs to give on the garden. Then put in a proper garden.

That’s what I’d do.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
When I was married, I told the wife she could either tell me 'what to do' or 'how to do it'... not both. (y)
My wife is a divorce attorney. As much as I joke about wearing the pants in this arrangement, I get to hear stories about what she can do in court and I'm confident that I'd be hosed if this thing goes south. ;)

Beendare

WKR
Four decades of Design build here in Ca…recognized as being the best in the state.

There are so many more factors than just Function and Aesthetic. A master planned yard will work and look better even if done in phases.
Whats your budget? Our design work starts at $5k and most pro’s will charge at least that much- in our area Anyway.

Beware, There are many hacks in the landscaping field….easy to get a business license…not easy to get a LA lic.
I could give you some quick advice if I saw some photos

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Where are you located? HOA have any restrictions on gardens? I've been a landscape designer for the past 27 years.
Iowa (zone 5a). No HOA. It's a brand new neighborhood, so the builder is digging up covenants to see if there are restrictions I need to worry about.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Four decades of Design build here in Ca…recognized as being the best in the state.

There are so many more factors than just Function and Aesthetic. A master planned yard will work and look better even if done in phases.
Whats your budget? Our design work starts at $5k and most pro’s will charge at least that much- in our area Anyway.

Beware, There are many hacks in the landscaping field….easy to get a business license…not easy to get a LA lic.
I could give you some quick advice if I saw some photos
Right now it's a half acre of mud. Haven't even dug the foundation yet, so no photos right now. But it's a half acre rectangle, one end slightly wider than the other.

WCB

WKR
Do yourself a favor....minimalist landscaping in general. And just do a really efficient rectangle old fashion garden. If you want to produce as much as possible efficiency is going to be king. Having everything in one spot is the only way to do it. Also, not sure on varmints and pests in general but securing a single garden seem a hell of a lot better than trying to protect multiple spots of the yard.

We have a fairly good sized garden and we are on .65 acres...lucky nobody behind us at all though. The only thing we have separate from the main vegetables is a small herb garden for use during the summer. Thyme, Rosemary, mint, Basil, Oregano, Parsley, etc. Those are up close to the house because we use them all the time and can just step out grab some and pop back in without having to walk out to the garden. However, out in the garden we have a crap ton of it also that is mostly dedicated to none growing season we dry out, grind up or whatever and bottle.

Pretty sad to keep the wife happy guys have to throw away logic and efficiency. As long as it is well kept who gives a rats ass what the neighbors think