Ladder Testing in Hell

Long Cut

WKR
I decided against my better judgement to test some new hand loads in the middle of the day, in July in Georgia.

I’m shooting Vihtvouri N555 with Lapua SRP brass, CCI 400’s and Nosler BT 140’s & Hornady ELDX 143’s shot out of a 6.5 Creedmoor CVA Scout 20” barrel seated .002 off the lands.

Temperatures were 92-97F with 75% humidity. Wind 0-5mph shooting at 100 yards

The first group I had to adjust the scope up and left, the rest were “close enough” for me to shoot.

My shooting was sloppy today. I couldn’t get into “the groove” and felt anxious at times during my trigger pull. Between the heat and getting frustrated with myself, the range session produced more stress than enjoyment, unfortunately.

8F3B6172-A0E9-49C2-8706-78C34046890D.jpeg167F6D08-2D7A-450F-808A-4500F84FBD07.jpeg

Top Target: Nosler BT 140’s : Left to Right 40.0 ; 40.3 : 40.5

Bottom Target: Hornady ELDX : Left to Right : 39.0 ; 39.5 ; 40 ; 40.5 ; 41.0

The “best” 5 shot groups were right at 1” for the 40.3gr Nosler , 39.5gr ELDX and 40.5gr ELDX

I’ll further test those 3 when the weather cools off.

Weldor

WKR
Were you shooting for pressure signs or just accuracy? Out here in AZ. we are over a hundred most days in the summer. I try to get out at 5 am and shoot until it is mid 80's about 8 or 9 usually. I keep my test ammo in a small cooler with blue ice pack and a towel. Try to keep my ammo at roughly hunting temps 30's -60's. Big difference in pressures cold verus hot hot rounds.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Were you shooting for pressure signs or just accuracy? Out here in AZ. we are over a hundred most days in the summer. I try to get out at 5 am and shoot until it is mid 80's about 8 or 9 usually. I keep my test ammo in a small cooler with blue ice pack and a towel. Try to keep my ammo at roughly hunting temps 30's -60's. Big difference in pressures cold verus hot hot rounds.

A combination of both.

Typically we might see 75-80 in October or early November so the extremes are just to cover my bases.

I should’ve better prepared, but I was itching to punch some paper as well.

Felton

WKR
Richmond hill wma?

How does that rifle shoot with other ammo?

I have a hard time bringing myself to shoot in this heat. I either shoot early in the morning or I don’t shoot at all.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Richmond hill wma?

How does that rifle shoot with other ammo?

I have a hard time bringing myself to shoot in this heat. I either shoot early in the morning or I don’t shoot at all.
West Point.

I’m still learning this rifle, I’ve right at 100 rounds down the barrel now.

TTSX 120’s in .9 to 2” groups
Nosler BT 140’s .5-1.5”
ELDX’s .9-1.4”

The guns shot .46” 3 shot groups with the Noslers before.

I’m sure with more time I’ll get a load developed for this rifle that’s lights out. This is my second year really shooting/reloading, I’ve always been a bowhunter up until recently. In more experienced hands I’ve no doubts this is a consistent sub MOA gun… at a $315 price tag

Vern400

WKR
For perspective, we had 78F and a thick fog this morning at 6. Grass all soaking wet. Then the sunball comes out and jacks all that juice up to 98/107+ heat index. No doubt Arizona's daytime temperatures are very hot. But 98° can be deceptively uncomfortable when the humidity is still in the 70s. If it rains at 2:00, and the Sun comes back out it's virtually unbearable. We call it Hell's Front Porch. I work outside year round and I'm okay with warm weather but I try to avoid 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. and yes if you leave a cartridge in your chamber and it heats up more than the other ones groups will definitely suffer.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
For perspective, we had 78F and a thick fog this morning at 6. Grass all soaking wet. Then the sunball comes out and jacks all that juice up to 98/107+ heat index. No doubt Arizona's daytime temperatures are very hot. But 98° can be deceptively uncomfortable when the humidity is still in the 70s. If it rains at 2:00, and the Sun comes back out it's virtually unbearable. We call it Hell's Front Porch. I work outside year round and I'm okay with warm weather but I try to avoid 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. and yes if you leave a cartridge in your chamber and it heats up more than the other ones groups will definitely suffer.

That’s a normal day here in GA. July-August we average mid 70% humidity, all day long. An afternoon rain storm will send us into 90%
With a 0-5mph occasional breeze... It’s miserable.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
@Long Cut , here’s how to find some relief from the heat. 100 yard underground tunnel, electronic target, comfortable bench, and A/C keeping range temp about a cool 68 degrees. In Kennesaw, not expensive , and open to the public. C’mon up! 👍

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 15