Kuiu's suggested layering for mild conditions

leronious

FNG
This is Kuiu's recommended system for MILD CONDITIONS (45-70°F / 7-21°C)
TOP:
Base Layer Top: Peloton 118 LS
Mid Layer- Fleece: Peloton 97
Outer Layer- Soft Shell: Guide DCS Jacket
BOTTOM:
Outer Layer- Pant: Attack Pant
*If waterproof protection is needed, add Chugach TR Rain Gear

What are your thoughts on this? I've read plenty of criticism on this site about the peloton 97's lack of durability and the guide jacket's lack of windblocking. For a similar price (accounting for the guide commonly going on sale for ~$180 ), I'm inclined to go with a 118/peloton 240 vest/guide combo. Or what do you all think of a 118/axis combo with no midlayer instead?

Edit: I'm pretty set on having a softshell mostly for the brush busting durability. I'm in low elevation desert so lots of brush, thorns, and cacti.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
That's a lot for 70 degrees. That's a lot for 45 degrees, too, at least for me, unless it is 45 with wind and precipitation.

Reactions: CCH
I’d probably can the guide jacket and go with a SD Ultra instead. It weighs nothing and is more than you’d need for those conditions. The guide does lots of things well but doesn’t do any one thing fantastically—if that makes sense. I don’t have a 97 but I do have a Peloton 200 that should be warmer than the 97 from what I’ve read about the 97. The 200 would be warmer than needed for 45-70 degrees.

OP
L

leronious

FNG
I’d probably can the guide jacket and go with a SD Ultra instead. It weighs nothing and is more than you’d need for those conditions. The guide does lots of things well but doesn’t do any one thing fantastically—if that makes sense. I don’t have a 97 but I do have a Peloton 200 that should be warmer than the 97 from what I’ve read about the 97. The 200 would be warmer than needed for 45-70 degrees.
Thanks for the puffy suggestion but I'm pretty set on having a softshell mostly for the brush busting durability. I'm in low elevation desert so lots of brush, thorns, and cacti.

Do you have experience with the 240? Is it warmer than the 200 assuming no wind?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Peleton 97 is a great piece! Weight to warmth ratio is the best out there, it’s a heater. I always have it in my pack.
I wouldn’t wear it as an outer layer busting brush, but great for a mid layer or even base layer if really cold. Mine is going on 4 years.

Thanks for the puffy suggestion but I'm pretty set on having a softshell mostly for the brush busting durability. I'm in low elevation desert so lots of brush, thorns, and cacti.

Do you have experience with the 240? Is it warmer than the 200 assuming no wind?
Understand that. No experience with the 240. I have a Guide jacket and a Sitka Jetstream (not the updated version). For what it’s worth the Jetstream is an awesome piece. Blocks wind completely and I find it much warmer than the Guide.

Honyock

WKR
I have quite a bit of Kuiu and like it, but if you're going with a softshell, I would get a "2021" model Sitka Jetstream instead of the Kuiu Guide. You should be able to find the 2021 jacket for $190 or so if you look around. I like the Guide but I find myself grabbing the Jetstream if I need wind protection. The Jetstream does a lot better job blocking the wind than the Guide.

I’d recommend the peloton 118 and peloton 240 on top. If very windy or fairly cold, throw a puffy on top when stationary.

On the bottom peloton 118 zip offs under the tiburon pants. I think the attacks are a little too warm when the temps are above 60.

Peloton 240 is a great piece. Quiet, very wind resistant, and durable. Works great as an outer layer or mid layer.

pawlyb

FNG
Since you said you're in desert I think going with the axis would save you needing a rain jacket. It's not a rain jacket but has waterproof panels that would certainly hold up to an occasional rain. The 97 midlayer would be great. 118, 97, axis as a system makes a lot of sense for those temps with low chance of rain.

Pants wise I can't comment as I only have heavy pants but have heard rave reviews about the Kutana for toughness and light weight. I like my 97 zip off bottoms too