KUIU Yukon Jacket

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Currently I own quite a bit of KUIU. Large bases, XL for the remainder. I just got the Yukon Jacket to replace my current Stormfront(L). I tried the Jacket on with a few different layer ideas but I found the arms very narrow and tight. I compared them to my XL Axis and they are almost the exact same width If not the same.

My Stormfront in Large has more arm width for layering and so does my SG M5(L)...which I find just odd

I am currently sending the jacket back but don't know if I should try a 2XL or if this current XL is just cut wrong.

Any comments would be great as I do love the idea of a 4way stretch rain jacket

BCsteve

WKR
That one of my pet peeve with Kuiu’s sizing. I have a Guide and a Yukon and I have a hard time layering under, especially the Guide. I understand the “athletic fit” but if I actually had an athletic build my arms would be bigger and wouldn’t fit at all!

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
That one of my pet peeve with Kuiu’s sizing. I have a Guide and a Yukon and I have a hard time layering under, especially the Guide. I understand the “athletic fit” but if I actually had an athletic build my arms would be bigger and wouldn’t fit at all!
You have issues layering under your Yukon because the sleeves as well? And yes exactly that....i don't have overly large arms

gbflyer

WKR
I’m a fairly slender armed large. I can get a thin puffy jacket under my Yukon along with the normal long sleeved undershirt. Any more than that would be difficult. For me it’s fine, if it’s raining it’s not cold enough to need more insulation than that.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fairly slender armed large. I can get a thin puffy jacket under my Yukon along with the normal long sleeved undershirt. Any more than that would be difficult. For me it’s fine, if it’s raining it’s not cold enough to need more insulation than that.
I just want to be able to get the jacket to usefulness to 25F. There are those times with wet snow/rain that hover around freezing that will require a rain coat

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So 1 size up from all your current gear? I have asked KUIU if the arms get any bigger in an XXL as thats my current issue
Yes one size up, usually I’d wear an XL but with kuiu jackets I need to buy 2xl. Had the issue with both a guide jacket and the Yukon. The xl Yukon made it impossible to do any layering or wear it with my waders. The 2xl lets me layer and use my waders. This past moose season I bivvied out on a cold wet night with my waders, a Sitka fleece top, lost park parka and my Yukon over alls of it.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Yes one size up, usually I’d wear an XL but with kuiu jackets I need to buy 2xl. Had the issue with both a guide jacket and the Yukon. The xl Yukon made it impossible to do any layering or wear it with my waders. The 2xl lets me layer and use my waders. This past moose season I bivvied out on a cold wet night with my waders, a Sitka fleece top, lost park parka and my Yukon over alls of it.
all my KUIU is currently XL including my jackets. This was the first problem i've had with their sizing which is odd. But it sounds like you wear exactly what i do for moose hunting and this is the plan for the jacket.

Patagonia Waders, 118 base, Attack, 97 or SD Ultra if needed more warmth
Top is 118 Base, 97 Mid or Ambient Hoody, Kenai Vest. If cold SD Ultra then Yukon. If not cold just my 240 Hooded Jacket.

You found the arms got wider? to accomodate? Chest doesn't seem terrible to me

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
all my KUIU is currently XL including my jackets. This was the first problem i've had with their sizing which is odd. But it sounds like you wear exactly what i do for moose hunting and this is the plan for the jacket.

Patagonia Waders, 118 base, Attack, 97 or SD Ultra if needed more warmth
Top is 118 Base, 97 Mid or Ambient Hoody, Kenai Vest. If cold SD Ultra then Yukon. If not cold just my 240 Hooded Jacket.

You found the arms got wider? to accomodate? Chest doesn't seem terrible to me
I cant say for certain, I had the kuiu yukon set two times, first was back in ~2017 and that was when I found the xl jacket to just be too tight, I returned it for an XXL. I ended up selling the yukon to try the m5 (stupid thing to do) and when I re purchased the yukon stuff I went straight to the 2xl. I can say that it isnt very hard at all to get my lpp under the yukon even with the bulk of the waders and other layers. The arms also don't feel tight when layered up. I was outside in a blizzard over the weekend doing a lot of work and I wore the yukon with a down pullover under it with zero issues.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I cant say for certain, I had the kuiu yukon set two times, first was back in ~2017 and that was when I found the xl jacket to just be too tight, I returned it for an XXL. I ended up selling the yukon to try the m5 (stupid thing to do) and when I re purchased the yukon stuff I went straight to the 2xl. I can say that it isnt very hard at all to get my lpp under the yukon even with the bulk of the waders and other layers. The arms also don't feel tight when layered up. I was outside in a blizzard over the weekend doing a lot of work and I wore the yukon with a down pullover under it with zero issues.
ok great thank you! I will see what they say and maybe just get the XXL. i've never purchaed a 2XL in my entire life so this comes a bit surprising lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
ok great thank you! I will see what they say and maybe just get the XXL. i've never purchaed a 2XL in my entire life so this comes a bit surprising lol
I felt the same exact way, I've never purchased 2xl either until messing with kuiu jackets.

I've had to buy XXL jackets in all of my kuiu stuff lately.

I do know that a few years ago they changed the way the xl fits and it's now smaller than it used to be. I have my original Yukon jacket that's larger than a current xl I have that was a warranty replacement. They are completely different. My Kenai is the same way.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to buy XXL jackets in all of my kuiu stuff lately.

I do know that a few years ago they changed the way the xl fits and it's now smaller than it used to be. I have my original Yukon jacket that's larger than a current xl I have that was a warranty replacement. They are completely different. My Kenai is the same way.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Odd....I ended up selling my new Kenai as the thing was quite large....still waiting on customer service to see if I can get a XXL sent here. I'm assuming it will just be a blanket without my intended setup on which will be more of a hindrance