Kuiu wind pro fleece jacket?

Has anybody gotten their hands on this jacket ? Looking at it for Maryland whitetail hunting but don’t see any reviews yet

I just got one and like it, although haven't used hunting just yet. I ordered a L and XL, returned the L. I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs, I wanted to be able to layer under it, up to a certain level of colder temps (then I'd wear a heavier jacket for really cold). Too many layers and the pits get too snug for my liking, hence why I kept the XL. The cinch at the waste is nice so it doesn't feel like a swaying dress. I plan to use it for early to mid season whitetail hunting from a treestand and it will be excellent for that I think.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Dont own it, but zooming in to the material it looks to be the same as their wind pro beanie and gaiter. Which were both absolutely useless. They had a 1/10 wind resistance rating as far as I'm concerned and sent them both back. Id hard pass on this

I just got mine I'm 6'4". 240ish the xl fit great I could probably put a base layer and a fleece mid layer and have plenty of room. It's fairly quiet

WoodBow

WKR
I'm curious as well. I have yet to find a warm, quiet, windproof enough layer. I really like my sitka equinox but it has zero wind protection. I'd love to have something just like it with wind protection that is still silent. I have a stratus jacket that is a good shell but it has really no insulation value. I had high hopes for this wind pro fleece jacket. I believe they claim it is 8/10 wind protection. I assume 10/10 would be wind proof. In for hearing some real world experience.

I own the proximity set and I have to say Kuiu knocked it out of the park with that system. It quickly became 100% my favorite hunting gear. I've owned and currently own all different brands. First Lite, sitka, kuiu, kryptek, and some others.

So due to this great experience with the proximity I ordered the wind pro fleece and I was majorly let down, no where near wind resistant AT ALL. They dropped the ball on this one. Very soft, silent, comfy but wind resistant is not a quality of that peice. Mine is going back.

I'm curious as well. I have yet to find a warm, quiet, windproof enough layer. I really like my sitka equinox but it has zero wind protection. I'd love to have something just like it with wind protection that is still silent. I have a stratus jacket that is a good shell but it has really no insulation value. I had high hopes for this wind pro fleece jacket. I believe they claim it is 8/10 wind protection. I assume 10/10 would be wind proof. In for hearing some real world experience.
I would give their proximity a try. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for and you will be blown away at how warm, windproof and lightweight it is! Super well thought out too!

Wind Pro is completely worthless. I own dang near every piece of Kuiu clothing. This is an utter failure compared to their other stuff. It’s not windproof at all. It’s super soft, comfortable and quiet. However there is NO wind-blocking properties to it. Heck, the Pelton 87 or merino 145 block wind just as well if not better than the windpro.

This and the expedition gloves are the two biggest failures from them I have come across.

eltaco

WKR
Unfortunately, I ordered the “wind pro” beanie and gaiter as well. Save your coin… I have absolutely no idea why they chose to market this as “wind pro” as it has precisely zero wind resistance.

I do, however, own the Proximity set and I’m extremely pleased with it. Not completely wind proof, but pretty close to it. I’ve worn it in sustained 30mph+ winds in KS without issues.

Erictski

FNG
Wind Pro is completely worthless. I own dang near every piece of Kuiu clothing. This is an utter failure compared to their other stuff. It’s not windproof at all. It’s super soft, comfortable and quiet. However there is NO wind-blocking properties to it. Heck, the Pelton 87 or merino 145 block wind just as well if not better than the windpro.

This and the expedition gloves are the two biggest failures from them I have come across.
Would you say the guide jacket (which isn’t really wind resistant much) is as wind resistant at least as the wind pro?

The guide jacket is everything the Windpro should be. The Guide jacket has very good wind blocking properties to it. The windpro has absolutely none. The entire Windpro line is completely mislabeled . Relabel it “SoftPro” or “QuietPro”. It has nothing to do with wind besides letting it right through the material.…..nothing.

LostArra

WKR
I own the proximity set and I have to say Kuiu knocked it out of the park with that system. It quickly became 100% my favorite hunting gear. I've owned and currently own all different brands. First Lite, sitka, kuiu, kryptek, and some others.

So due to this great experience with the proximity I ordered the wind pro fleece and I was majorly let down, no where near wind resistant AT ALL. They dropped the ball on this one. Very soft, silent, comfy but wind resistant is not a quality of that peice. Mine is going back.
This is Truth

The Wind Pro is identical to my 4X Microfleece by Browning, now discontinued. But I paid $49 for the Browning.

brandr67

FNG
The guide jacket is everything the Windpro should be. The Guide jacket has very good wind blocking properties to it. The windpro has absolutely none. The entire Windpro line is completely mislabeled . Relabel it “SoftPro” or “QuietPro”. It has nothing to do with wind besides letting it right through the material.…..nothing.
I have found that the Guide jacket is not very windproof at all. It seemed like the Axis Hybrid was much more windproof. Are you sure the guide jacket is more windproof than the wind pro?

I have found that the Guide jacket is not very windproof at all. It seemed like the Axis Hybrid was much more windproof. Are you sure the guide jacket is more windproof than the wind pro?
100% sure. Go to Walmart and buy the cheapest polar fleece you can find. That’s how NON wind resistant the Wind Pro is. It’s terrible. The Guide jacket has a thicker, less penetrable layering system that makes it significantly more wind resistant than the WindPro. I personally only use it for stand hunting whitetail as it’s a bulkier jacket than I care to wear during active hunting. I wear the Peloton 240 to block wind almost 100% of the time. The Axis Hybrid is extremely wind resistant. I wind even say more WindProof, more so than the Guide jacket, but it’s even a bulkier thicker material and you’ll sweat your butt off in it as it has a micro-fleece lining. It’s not an active layer for sure. No way I would hike in the Axis hybrid. I would sit in a tree stand or glass with it on through.

Last edited:

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
So your saying stick with the old Cabela's wind sheer wooltimate for the blustery days

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
So your saying stick with the old Cabela's wind sheer wooltimate for the blustery days

I have an old Cabelas quarter zip (probably 15 years old) with their windblocker membrane and it still cuts the wind better than a lot of the "windproof" stuff being sold. You sure don't want to hike in it, zero breathability, but it works great in a whitetail tree stand.

JRS3

FNG
I have an old Cabelas quarter zip (probably 15 years old) with their windblocker membrane and it still cuts the wind better than a lot of the "windproof" stuff being sold. You sure don't want to hike in it, zero breathability, but it works great in a whitetail tree stand.

I have the same and it’s exactly what you say. Perfect for stationary hunts but is not an item for active hunting. It’s bulky too but I like it.

Unless you want something new, yes.

As far as Kuiu wind blocking apparels goes, IMO:

Peloton 240 for “active“ hunting/hiking. Has similar wind resistance to the Gude DCS. My go to wind resistant active layer.

Guide DCS has similar wind resistance to the Peloton 240 but is heavier, bulkier and therefore warmer. Good for minimal exertion efforts less than a mile. Basically a great truck hunting jacket. Exterior is semi quite And seems to have some water resistance to it.

Axis hybrid, Windproof. Most wind resistant of the 4 compared. It is micrfleece lined so you’ll melt if your doing anything other than sitting. It is also a very noisy fabric. Great for glassing or a tree stand.

WindPro….best to light your fireplace, get some hot cocoa, dim the lights and set the mood, it’s super soft and comfy. A sure winner to lure “her” in. But don’t dare wear that crap outside. You’ll think you accidentally slipped into some fishnet pantyhose.

keller

WKR
Dang I was really hoping this would be a good piece. Seemed like a perfect addition to the layering system.

BCsteve

WKR
Unfortunately, I ordered the “wind pro” beanie and gaiter as well. Save your coin… I have absolutely no idea why they chose to market this as “wind pro” as it has precisely zero wind resistance.

I do, however, own the Proximity set and I’m extremely pleased with it. Not completely wind proof, but pretty close to it. I’ve worn it in sustained 30mph+ winds in KS without issues.
They didn't market it as Wind Pro, Polartec did. It's called Wind Pro because it's made of Polartec Wind Pro fleece.