Kuiu vs Mystery Ranch Packs

I am going on a 7 day Spring Bear hunt this year and need to get a pack. I am between the following options:

Kuiu Pro LT 7000: $569
Kuiu Pro 6000: $609
Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80: $600

Price is definitely a factor, but I also want something I can use for years to come and will be comfortable with on this hunt. Suggestions are welcome outside of what I have listed as well. Would like to stay sub $600 if possible.

t_carlson

WKR
I like MR packs. I've owned some of the older Kuiu packs, but not the new ones so I cannot comment on those.

I've never owned a Beartooth, though. I think if you like pockets for organization, its probably better, but I like the roll top design of the Metcalf more personally.

CorbLand

WKR
I would look into one of these and see if they will fit you.

I have a Metcalf and like it. The only thing I dont like about it is the initial weight but it is pre guide lite frame. That EXO is just a good deal.

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
Just like boots, they all fit different and a lot of the comfort of a pack is determined by fit.

Mystery Ranch fits me well, they are heavier than some but that weight brings good durability.

Geewhiz

WKR
I am a fan of MR packs and can testify that they will carry more weight than I can. I have only used a kuiu pack once on a pack out and although it was not mine and probably was not fitted to me like it should have been, it was terribly uncomfortable.

They are built like a tank and are very very durable. Im honestly shocked I havent broken a frame/straps/buckles.

I initially started with MR Metcalf. It’s tough as nails but it’s a heavy pack. I knew I could get something equally as good and durable but lighter so I sold it and got the Kuiu PRO. originally and the older model and then upgraded to the newer model. Definitely a lighter pack. It did all I asked of it too. Only compliant I had was the bag seems to shift a bit on the frame if walking on uneven ground or maneuvering around timber while side hilling. Not a huge issue but it did move a bit. Only reason I sold it was because i had FOMO with the EXO K4 and wanted to give it a try. Zero regrets, the EXO has been a home run. Of the two you mentioned I would not hesitate to get the Kuiu again. Rumor is they are soon to release a redesign. No idea how far out that is.

I've used both , I have two beartooth 80's and have one for sale on rokslide and FB if you want to save a big chunk of change . I really preferred the mystery ranch to the kuiu . The kuiu frame was to narrow and it barreled alot for me and didn't Carry weight near as well as the bomb proof beartooth 80 that has been my daily driver for 2 years , bought a second one for my dad and he ended up not going due to health issues so offloading that one . Great packs from both companies but I'd rather use a MR imo .

I have the kuiu pro6000, it does all I need and I find it comfortable enough with heavy loads. I like that I can simply purchase the pack bag I need for a given trip and swap it out. Both the 3600 pro pack bag and load hauler panel get good use from me. A few friends have the mystery ranch packs, they like them pretty well

Not to point out the obvious, but the beartooth is a 5200 cubic inch pack, both of those kuiu packs are substantially more volume.. Depending on your gear and conditions, and other factors ( like distance to the truck) you may really appreciate the extra volume in your pack.

That said, fit should be your deciding factor and there’s really only one way to test that out…… get the pack, adjust it to your body, and load it up

tops911

FNG
As said above fit is the key. I had a Kuiu I really wanted to love but it killed my lower back, even carrying it empty. I tried everything to make it work. I moved to a Mystery Ranch and no more back pain. I like the hip belt better on the Kuiu than the MR.

manitou1

WKR
I never could make friends with the MR pack. Kuiu Pro 3800 and 6000 are my go-to packs now.
We are all built different. After using different packs over the years I would not purchase one without trying it unless I could return it...
The problem is, just like with boots you just don't know until you wear them for an amount of time with a load.

Never used a kuiu pack but I am an MR fanboy of sorts.

the beartooth is a good pack. It does fine for long haul but I liked mine a little less when it was full. It you are looking for something in the same category, the metcalf is worth a look and they are rolling out a new version so the old ones are cheap. I use a pack called the Terraframe 80. They are like a metcalf with some added pockets. They can be had for under $400.

Drenalin

WKR
I've tried MR a couple of times and can't make it work. Fit isn't good for me, which is the biggest issue, but their bags also lack intelligent design and are frustratingly "strappy" in use. I also hated Kuiu the first time I tried them, but the newer stuff works well from a fit perspective and the bags are very usable. Ultimately you can get used to any bag, so focus on finding the best fit.

Ive got the Icon Pro 6000. Seems like they change the naming convention a lot. It's been a decent pack. Admittedly, I haven't tried any of the other "premium" packs other than to just try them on so don't have a frame of reference, but it packed 80+ lbs well enough for me when packing out my buck this fall.packout1.jpg

I’ve had the beartooth 80 for 3 years now and it’s a pretty solid pack. I’ve put waaaayyyyy too much on it a handful of times and it’s yet to fail. Pretty comfortable once you get it fitted properly. My only real complaint is that it’s developed the tiniest little squeak. It’s so quiet that I don’t think a deer could hear it unless they were within stabbing distance, but I can hear it and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackk66

FNG
I am going on a 7 day Spring Bear hunt this year and need to get a pack. I am between the following options:

Kuiu Pro LT 7000: $569
Kuiu Pro 6000: $609
Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80: $600

Price is definitely a factor, but I also want something I can use for years to come and will be comfortable with on this hunt. Suggestions are welcome outside of what I have listed as well. Would like to stay sub $600 if possible.

Jackk66

FNG
I have a Kuiu Pro 5200 which I've been using for years. It's worked great for me. Plenty big for a week or so Wilderness backpack hunt. Its a great meat hauler with the load sling. The heart of any pack is the frame, and in my humble opinion, Kuiu's carbon fiber frame is the best in the business. I also have an 1850 bag that I use when I'll be back to the truck at night. Takes a few minutes to swap any Kuiu bag onto your frame. I have the upgraded belt on my frame because I'm a big guy and my equipment takes a beating.