KUIU Super Down Warranty?

Anyone know what the warranty would be on a KUIU Super Down Jacket? it has the water resistant down, so what if it fails and the down starts to clump? Do you think KUIU would warranty an item for that reason?

Lastly, does anyone own/use one that can attest to the jackets qualities?

Last edited:

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
My guess is that if it does not perform as advertised that Jason will refund your money, or get you a new one, expecially since the fallout of deleted/censored blog posts, reviews, and threads.

OP
big10hunter
My guess is that if it does not perform as advertised that Jason will refund your money, or get you a new one, expecially since the fallout of deleted/censored blog posts, reviews, and threads.

I do not understand " expecially since the fallout of deleted/censored blog posts, reviews, and threads."

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider

Jason was out of town the past few weeks and someone else was moderating the Kuiu forum and blog. Basically if the post wasn't completely glowing it was getting deleted and no one could get answers to questions. Jason came back to town and dealt with it it in a stand up way, its a non issue at this point.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know what the warranty would be on a KUIU Super Down Jacket? it has the water resistant down, so what if it fails and the down starts to clump? Do you think KUIU would warranty an item for that reason?

Lastly, does anyone own/use one that can attest to the jackets qualities?

Can't really comment on the KUIU warranty, but the jacket seems to be a quality, well made jacket. I haven't had the down wet in mine (and hope to never get it wet and will treat it as a regular down jacket, protecting it from moisture as much as possible), but the fit and finish of the jacket is very nice. It is very warm, without a lot of bulk, and the weight is amazing. Hard to not pack it with you during late season hunts.

I plan to use mine more of a 'glassing' jacket, just throwing it on over what I wear to my morning glassing spot, and stowing it in my pack as I move. The fabric has some stretch to it, and the stretch panels in the forearms (triangle spot at the wrist) is a nice feature.

It seems to block the wind well. In the picture below, it was about 20 degrees with a cold north breeze blowing the morning I was wearing it. My upper body was toasty while my legs were pretty cold.
2013%2520Unit%252027%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520Hunt%2520011.JPG

Ron

aggieland

WKR
Ron, Thanks for the pics. I have been considering buying the top and bottoms. I would usually be hunting early season out West but being from Tx and being cold nature, I typically get really cold in the mornings. Hard to drop the cash for them but I think with these I could actually carry less clothing in my pack. Would love more pictures if you ever have time. Thanks again!!

aggieland

WKR
Also Rob I was wondering what does this jacket have or how does it perform better than just buying a ultralight down hooded jacket? I'm just trying to justify spending the $$ for something new like this over buying something discounted online or buying a used light weight down jacket on ebay etc.. Thanks for any advice.

Gman

WKR
I'm not Rob and I don't have the Super Down but I have just about every other piece of Kuiu and it is great gear. Not a complaint. But it is high end top gear and there is plenty of gear that is lower priced that you'll be happy with. A quality lightweight down jacket has been a mountaineering standby for decades. It will always be a great piece of kit. Kuiu has improved on it with the water resistant down and stretch but you can certainly get by with something else. There are plenty of primaloft and down jackets out there that will be cheaper and do almost the same thing. I wore the Spindrift all last year and it left me wanting for nothing. I was going to get the super down because it's new and cool and I wanted to try it but I didn't need it. I get a big discount on Patagonia and really like the quality of their gear so I picked up their down sweater in a "hickory" color which is brown/greenish. I'll be packing that this year for sure.

The real question I think you want to ask is what is your budget and do you want synthetic (if you live in wet climes) or down (if you feel you can manage the moisture). Then get the best you can in your price range. You'll be fine. Hope that was helpful.

aggieland

WKR
Well, I sold my spindrift this week so I could move on to something warmer. Hoping the down garments will do the trick, thanks for the advice!

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
+1 to what Gman said. Lots of options out there, and I like the idea of water resistant down to give an extra layer of protection from moisture. I have quite a bit of other KUIU clothing, and have been very pleased with the quality and fit/finish, so chose to go with the Super Down jacket. The down jacket I had before was a very puffy down jacket with no hood that was slightly over a pound. The only time I found myself using that is when it was 10 degrees or less, and usually when closer to zero...

With Super Down being lighter, warmer, and more compressible than the spindrift, I figured it was a win-win situation (minus the cost). I wore the heck out of my spindrift and there were a few times I was cold, but I don't expect to be cold (in the same temps experienced before) with the super down jacket. I've only used my super down a couple of weekends, but have been very pleased with it and see it as a vital asset to keeping me warm and more comfortable in the future, allowing me to concentrate on hunting more and less on the cold...

Here are a couple of other pictures, although not that good of ones...
2013%2520Unit%252027%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520Hunt%2520007.JPG

2013%2520Unit%252027%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520Hunt%2520008.JPG

Ron

aggieland

WKR
Those pics show the jacket great and Looks like it is pretty puffy. I have a lot of the Kuiu Clothing line as well and so far it's been great. Thanks for the pics and info!

I like KUIU stuff too, and the Jason runs his business, but having said that, they are not the only company selling waterproof down clothing. Hit google and see what the other companies are offering.

The other brand names are Quix Down (from Toray, which is what KUIU uses), DriDown, and DownTek. Of course, the construction of the garment and its design will vary from vendor to vendor, and KUIU still does a good job of designing clothes for their intended use.

Last edited:
According to the website it says
"Our Warranty Policy

We have a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. Should you have a warranty issue, call our customer service team for an RA number. We will attempt to repair the item, and if this is not possible we will replace it free of charge.

California law states that products accepted for review must be clean. Please clean your products before returning them to us otherwise we will not be able to accept them. Normal wear and tear, negligence and damage are not covered under our warranty policy.

Please contact our customer service department at 1-855-367-5848 and a representative will be happy to provide you with an RA number."

Looks like this applies to everything. I have never heard of them not taking care of a customer if it is a reasonable request. They don't cover normal wear and tear.