kuiu super down pants OR sitka kelvin

sk1

WKR
looking for a lightweight puffy pant to pack with me for glassing and at times sitting in a stand. im not really sure which to choose, the super down or the kevlin with primaloft.....i was going to go with sitka because they come in camo vs the gunmetal kuiu pants, but i did notice a serious warmth difference going from the kuiu primaloft spindrift to their superdown jacket. i know these are more so meant to go under a layer of clothing, but i like the camo as an option that i wouldn't have to put another layer over the top if i don't want to. the superdown pant has less oz. of fill than their superdown jacket, so maybe i wouldn't notice a big difference in warmth with the superdown pant vs the sitka primaloft kelvin?

anyone have experience with both that can comment?

I've used the Sitka Kelvin primaloft pants. They are a 170 g/m inslulation, so very warm. Over double the amount of insulation in the Spindrift, so you can't really compare them in that way.

They aren't really constructed as an mid layer though. Just too bulky to fit under anything without upsizing the shell layer by a size. I would call them a cold weather outer layer, and in that role they are perfectly satisfactory. I used mine for winter camping on a couple of fairly rugged and cold snowshoe camping trips this winter and spring, and pulled them on every time we stopped. Loved them.

Despite what the Sitka website shows, the current version is a full side zip, and go on and off quickly. The shell fabric is more rugged than most of the snow sport oriented primaloft pants you find, so that's a plus in my book for use as an outer layer

No experience with the Superdown, so can't compare. Probably can't go too wrong with either.

Yk

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
well thanks for your input YK, i did finally end up just now ordering the kuiu superdown pants after a few hours of reading.....hope i made the right choice. I believe that the down is much much warmer than primaloft, however with such a light fill amount in the superdown pants, i was thinking maybe the sitka kelvin having more loft would make up the difference, and maybe then some. i hope i am happy with my decision, i will layer these over my attack pants, then superdown, and if im in a treestand put my core4 torrent rainpants over the top for the camo and to help retain the warmth

we shall see how this goes soon enough!

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Superdown is lighter, Kelvin is MUCH warmer and more durable.

i was thinking the kelvin might be warmer as well, which is what i am looking for........hopefully the difference isn't too significant as i ordered the super down. have you experience with them both?

Kotaman

WKR
I have both...The KUIU are much more packable, the Sitka much more durable. Both are plenty warm. If I could own just one, it would be the KUIU. Sitka can work as an outer layer, while the KUIU works better as a mid layer.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Thanks Kota, nice to hear from someone who has both....my kuiu super down pants shipped yesterday so ill find out for myself soon enough.

I'm pretty sure I will just layer these under my core4element torrent zip up rain pants when I'm sitting for awhile....easy to put on, help hold in some heat, protect the super down, and of course will give me a camo pant then. The brushed rain pant will also be much quieter than the super down.....I think this will work well but ill find out soon enough.