KUIU Storm Star 2p vs Hilleberg Nallo 2

I am going on a hunting trip this winter, and am now in the market for a four season tent that can withstand a good amount of wind, at least a 6in-1ft of snow loading without crushing the poles, waterproof and ideally lower levels of condensation. The two tents I've been looking at are the KUIU Storm Star 2p and the Hilleberg Nallo 2. Therefore I am looking for people with experience using the tents to advise me on which one to purchase. Ideally I would have purchased a black label soulo but sadly most of hilleberg's selection is sold out at this time. Therefore, I was left with these two tents, since I need vestibules {don't like the unna}.

The trip will be 2-3 months long and I will be keeping the tent up for a couple of weeks, but I will be taking it down and repitching to change locations every so often.

Clarktar

WKR
2-3 months! Awesome. Will you be packing the tent on your back much? If not, I would look at some of the heavier 4 season tents.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
S
2-3 months! Awesome. Will you be packing the tent on your back much? If not, I would look at some of the heavier 4 season tents.

I'm thinking around 10-12 times throughout the trip. The big problem for me is the food and other gear is already heavy. My pack is coming up to 60 pounds {which is the max I can carry for long hikes}, therefore I need to keep the tent under 7 pounds. If weight was not an issue I would get a mountain hardware trango 2.

Clarktar

WKR
Will you be on ridge and mountain tops (i.e., predominantly non-stakeable ground) or in places with enough soil/organic matter to get good stake purchase?

@mcseal2 has a storm star I believe and has seen my Nalo 2 gt. He was impressed with mine and probably would have bought the Nallo GT instead of the storm star. I just bought my nalo 2 gt and was able to use it for 5 days In Wyoming. Rained at some point 4 of the 5 days. Winds well over 30mph. I'm happy in my purchase and it will follow me everywhere from Kansas to Alaska. Only you can decide on what will work for you. I can't speak for the Kuiu Mountain Star. Enjoy your tip and good luck.

OP
S
Will you be on ridge and mountain tops (i.e., predominantly non-stakeable ground) or in places with enough soil/organic matter to get good stake purchase?

I will not be staying on ridges/mountains and will be on stakeable ground. I guess a freestanding would be beneficial on mountain tops.

OP
S
@mcseal2 has a storm star I believe and has seen my Nalo 2 gt. He was impressed with mine and probably would have bought the Nallo GT instead of the storm star. I just bought my nalo 2 gt and was able to use it for 5 days In Wyoming. Rained at some point 4 of the 5 days. Winds well over 30mph. I'm happy in my purchase and it will follow me everywhere from Kansas to Alaska. Only you can decide on what will work for you. I can't speak for the Kuiu Mountain Star. Enjoy your tip and good luck.
Can you cook in the gt vestibule? I'm probably not going to get a gt due to the extra weight, but I am curious?`

MattB

WKR
I don' have either tent, but I have a lot of Kuiu gear and a Hilleberg. I personally would trust a tent from a dedicated tent company over the Kuiu. Same holds true for sleeping bags.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Nallo 3 GT with footprint for the entire set up and lots of room in the vestibule for gear and cooking. It all closed up nicely in rain too.

Clarktar

WKR
I will not be staying on ridges/mountains and will be on stakeable ground. I guess a freestanding would be beneficial on mountain tops.
I would rule out free standing tents then. If your hunt is more freezing temps and snow I'd opt for a solid wall.

If it is likely above freezing but 100% humidity I'd opt for a three season or four season but one with mesh inner. I just started using a Kuiu 2p and that tent has managed moisture better than most I have been in. I setup in a downpour, crawled in soaking wet, slithered under my quilt and in the morning I was completely dry and there was ZERO moisture on the mesh inner. It was awesome. There was little to no wind and I had the vestibule pitched tight to ground (so very little airflow). I also pitched it on a sponge...

The biggest surprise was my rain pants in the "gear loft" also dried out.

The outfly certainly had alot of moisture on the inner face. If you were taking tent down each day or several times you do run the risk of getting the inside of the tent wet. One option to motivate this (I haven't needed to do this yet ) is to unclip the outer from the inner and separate the prices for packing up. I should clarify this is the mountain star. So it is considered a three season and is free standing.
b933f51725301cc308b9ce64e66d892a.jpg
1cd3f6426c80a727b720d1e5e7966fdc.jpg
9a6994b363c7dcbf50e5611ee68e494b.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I don’t think you’d go wrong with either.

I don’t have any time in my Kuiu yet outside my yard, I just got it bought used this summer and it’s been to hot to camp in it yet. I wanted to lead with that.

I spent a half hour with the garden hose and a spray nozzle trying to make my Kuiu storm star leak leak with no luck. It did great. The Nallo has more room for the same weight. It is not truly free standing and has a bigger footprint I think.

I had my Storm Star set up next to a Hilleberg Staika last weekend. Both are very similar in size and look to be great tents. Both will be going to Kodiak with us next month.

I really think both options are great, just depends on what features you want.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
Inside height on the nallo 2 was too low for me to soed lots of time in. My head would always rub the ceiling. If it were a long trip, I'd look at the nallo 3. Perhaps even the gt version.
My nallo 3 is great do all tent.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Inside height on the nallo 2 was too low for me to soed lots of time in. My head would always rub the ceiling. If it were a long trip, I'd look at the nallo 3. Perhaps even the gt version.
My nallo 3 is great do all tent.

All of those are the same height aren't they? Just longer for more storage in the vestibule area?

OP
S
Another question for hilleberg users did you buy the 10mm poles as well for extra strength? Probably not going to do this myself but am just curious.

Another question for hilleberg users did you buy the 10mm poles as well for extra strength? Probably not going to do this myself but am just curious.
Mine are 9mm Nallo and unless your expedition/ mountaineering on the top of a mountain I don't see a reason. Just buy a black label if you want 10mm. The fabric is stronger too.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
All of those are the same height aren't they? Just longer for more storage in the vestibule area?
There's a 2-in difference in the opening end height of the three versus the two
5f5ef1737eab4b46c4d0953074368e96.jpg
bc4d1699fae467a7c934c4814bbd32e0.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S
I'm not really going to be sitting in my tent and am really just going to be using it as a sleep system. I normally bivy camp, therefore I will probably go with the nallo 2.

Cheechako

FNG
I use a Nallo 3 and really like it for 2 guys. Use the inner for bad weather and cold and just the fly for warmer weather. I have a 10mm extra pole for the longer one that faces into the wind and it seems to help with noise during really high wind events.