Kuiu Sizing

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some Kuiu shirts, jackets and pants a few years ago and had trouble with their sizing: for instance I am a large in all other US clothing sizes but XXL in some of my Kuiu stuff!

Just wondering if Kuiu has lately "normalized" their size designations to better correspond with standard US sizes.

Opinions and experiences welcomed!

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
The short answer is no. Base layers I wear my normal size, but I usually size up pants and outerwear one size.

3Esski

FNG
Just got an xl jacket and shirt from them, jacket is great leaving a good bit of room for puffy underneath, shirt is massive in the head hole, so not a fan. 6'4 210 and usually a L or xlt in other items, first kuiu stuff.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
As far as pants go, I just purchased a pair of Attack pants size 36. 36 straight fit jeans have a couple inches of room in the waist (requiring a belt) but fit the butt and thighs. Attacks in 36 can be worn without a belt (pretty sure, it’s habitual at this point) and are little bit more fitted than a straight leg jean but not too tight. I would say for pants to size up if you’re on the upper end of the spectrum of fitment for a size. If you’re on the lower end but not quite ready to drop down then order your size.

OP
Archerichards

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Helpful.
If I can get comfortable with sizing, I intend to buy a couple of pieces. But I sure dont want to get into a send-it-back-and-reorder cycle that goes on and on.

Other views?

mlchase

FNG
Yes to what everyone has posted - good to get comfortable with a few pieces. And definitely read the reviews online - they post height and weight and many comment on fit. From that, I use as additional data to make my decision since yes, returns are a pain with them.

I’ve only had tops but they seem to run true to size for me @ 5-9 190. Most of these pants from newer companies seem to run smaller than normal jean sizing imo so I’d probably size up to be safe.

MattB

WKR
I love Kuiu, but some of their items really miss the mark on sizing. My last purchase was a couple of pairs of Attack pants which I dearly love. One pair fit great like all the others 8 have bought over the years and the other was 2-3” narrower in the waist. I went to exchange them and found every other 32” waist in that camo pattern was equally small. Ended up buying a 34” and got on with life, but that would have been a far more frustrating experience if I had to do all that with online (happened to be driving by their store when I did the exchange).

Pacohunts

FNG
customer service has been great in my experience and as for sizing, definitely a bit tighter but think thats by design.

Pizza Guy

FNG
We all have are own body type and for some of us Kuiu will fit great and for some First lite may fit better. I'm 5'10 185lbs. I wear relaxed fit wrangler jeans size 34. I have the attacks, guides, axis, encounter, and Kutanas, and they all fit good in 34. The guide and encounter have a little more room for layering.

For the tops a wear every thing in large but I will say there outwear fits better over their own midlayers. For example a loose fitting under armour hoody may not layer as well in their system. I will layer a merino base layer, peloton 200, a peloton 240, a Kenai vest, and then one of their jackets, guide or proximity, all in large. If I wanted to run more or heavier midlayers than I would consider upsizing my jacket.

tracker12

WKR
I recently bought a pair of Attack and Kutana in 36 one was big the other was tight. Their quality control stinks. I like the design but just they would learn our measurement system.

chrisk

FNG
Just printed out the return label for my second return of attack pants. I'm a 34 x 34 normally. Ordered size 34 attacks - way too small. Returned them for 36s. Very snug - too snug. I'd have to go with 38s to get a comfortable fit, I guess. Which is weird, since I wear 34s in everything else.

Helpful.
If I can get comfortable with sizing, I intend to buy a couple of pieces. But I sure dont want to get into a send-it-back-and-reorder cycle that goes on and on.

Other views?
All their clothes/jackets/pants will fit snugger than normal non-hunting clothes. You should not need to size up if you layer all KUIU from base to outer layer. The layers are made to go on top of each other without sizing up. However, almost everything has a very athletic fit, some may not like that and need/want to size up. Once you get your fit on one item, it should carry through...