Kuiu Rubicon First Hand Experiences

dapesche

WKR
I would like a soft shell for day trips.
I had a kuiu guide which I sold as it was too hot.

The Katana Softshell is appealing with the pit zips and 4 way stretch but it's expensive...

Anyone have the Rubicon? Any opinions on it?

Curious to know how breathable it is with it not having pit zips.
With layering how far into the season would you be willing to wear it?
Dry snow ok? would you be concerned of saturation in wet snow?

Thank you.

It's pretty solid same warmth as the guide. Sat in a tree stand during snow storm that produced 4+ inches of snow and stayed dry.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Surprised that it is the same warmth when in their jacket guide they consider the rubicon as the early season jacket.

Did you find yourself overheating on your hike in?

I'd like the ability to hike in this jacket with a backpack on days when the temps are in the 30 to 50 degree range...do able?

Might have to check out non hunting brands jackets...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Just called kuiu to ask some questions regarding the product. I'm embarrassed for the company.

The person on the line had the product features memorized but obviously had no first hand experience with the jackets nor was she able to pass on any valuable information. Only information given was that I should buy the kutana because it had 4 way stretch.

Yikes.

At least when you call first lite you get Nate on the line who knows what's going on.

might be too warm if you are going to hike more than a mile. It also does a good job blocking the wind. and its cut a little fuller than the guide

might be too warm if you are going to hike more than a mile. It also does a good job blocking the wind. and its cut a little fuller than the guide

hmm... thank you.

I'd likely be hiking in this jacket from October to mid-Nov. Temps in the 25ish - 50ish degree weather.
Do you still have concerns hiking in the mid to late season.

If I was using it in September in poor weather I'd likely just hike in then put the jacket on.

I'm not a backcountry hunter so I am walking straight up for a mile two and then sidehill'ing before coming back down.

What kind of situations have you worn the jacket in?

hmm... thank you.

I'd likely be hiking in this jacket from October to mid-Nov. Temps in the 25ish - 50ish degree weather.

Depending on how bad the wind is, at 25 with a pack I've worn just my 145 weight merino shirt. The Kuiu Peloton 240 might be worth looking at. It would be lighter than the true 'soft shells', but offers great wind blocking.

Depending on how bad the wind is, at 25 with a pack I've worn just my 145 weight merino shirt. The Kuiu Peloton 240 might be worth looking at. It would be lighter than the true 'soft shells', but offers great wind blocking.
Thank you for the response.

I do have the peleton 240 but find I need more protection from the wet. Maybe I'll sell the 240 and buy that strong fleece 260 for the added protection...

Too many options!

Definitely got the too many options part right! I didn't realize the 240 didn't have a dwr coating, so the 260 probably would be a good option if you're wanting something lighter if you can deal with the 1/2 length zipper. The Kutana soft shell has the new k-dwr, so it'd be a good option for a soft shell but might be too warm.

Ended up ordering the kutana softshell.

I have the 240 and it was great. 260 would overlap and I wanted full zip.

Rubicon looked nice but I wanted out zips.

I gave the axis a long look but it runs to warm and would be late season only for me. If its raining/wet snow then I'll toss on the rain jacket with peleton 240.

Wanted a hood so it ruled out the kutana hybrid.

Left me with the kutana softshell. Very much like the guide but lighter and solid dwr tech. Last year was very dry where I hunt and the guide wasn't used much. If this year is wetter then I think the kutana gets use.

Thanks to you all for the feedback. It definitely helped in my decision.

Back