Kuiu Rain Gear - Chugach vs Kutana

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I have no first hand knowledge from actual use of either the Chugach or Kutana but I was able to speak with 2 guides that were working the Kuiu booth at a show I attended this spring. Both spoke highly of and used the Chugach while guiding in BC, Yukon and NWT, but said they would be switching to the new Kutana for durability reasons for their next set of rain gear. Granted these people probably put there gear through more in a season than I will in a lifetime. I bought my Kutana set for some upcoming sheep hunts but eventually will be hunting moose and elk again which will mean some brush busting, as well as briars and thickets in my home area for Whitetails; that made the final decision for me. The Kutana just seemed to have a more robust feel to it than the Chugach but only about 3 oz heavier for the set; seemed like a good compromise to me and hopefully I’ll find out in the near future.

FURMAN

WKR
Can anyone comment on the Kutana rain pant durability and dry time? Is it noticeably better then the chugach? I need a new rain pant for about 50% wet brush blacktail and moose hunting and 50% alpine mountain hunting use, for here in british columbia. Im willing to sacrifice the breath-ability and dump heat through the side zips if the durability and dry time is better as advertised. Thank you.

I have yet to wet out the kutana so I can’t comment on dry times but I would say it’s more durable, less likely to rip/tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trekker

FNG
I have yet to wet out the kutana so I can’t comment on dry times but I would say it’s more durable, less likely to rip/tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Have you noticed a difference in breathability? They are quite a bit less then the chugach, cloudburst etc as the numbers go, but I wonder what the difference is in real life.

FURMAN

WKR
Thanks. Have you noticed a difference in breathability? They are quite a bit less then the chugach, cloudburst etc as the numbers go, but I wonder what the difference is in real life.

Breathabilty in rain gear comes at a cost. The Chugach is more likely to wet out when not moving(building heat) in the rain. The Kutana is not going to breath as well while hiking. In practice I have hiked in both and can't really tell the difference in breathability. The technologies between the two are different.

tdot

WKR
I've used both the Kutana and Chugach pants. I find that while it is raining the Chugach breathes noticeably better. But with the side vents open and no rain, then I couldn't tell the difference, which was important for me, as I prefer to wear rain pants as my only pant on variable days. I wear boxers or maybe a pair of long johns under them and they are far more comfortable + breathe better, then having them over a pair of pants.

The difference in breathability was significant enough that i stuck with the Chugach jacket and didn't bother trying the Kutana jacket. I also find the Chugach has better stretch and is more comfortable as a result.

Trekker

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I will give the kutana pants ago and see how they hold up this fall. I think the durability, faster drying and longevity is enough for me to sacrifice some breathability. I find I sweat the most on my back anyways, so I will run the pants with my chugach jacket.

One Major difference between the two is the Chugach is twice as breathable. If you plan at all to wear your rain gear while moving the chugach is better served. This does not mean you won't sweat out or wet out from within, because all rain gear will, but the chugach membrane is much more breathable. Kutana will be a little more durable.

For me if i'm backpack hunting its the chugach all day.

Can anyone comment on the Kutana rain pant durability and dry time? Is it noticeably better then the chugach? I need a new rain pant for about 50% wet brush blacktail and moose hunting and 50% alpine mountain hunting use, for here in british columbia. Im willing to sacrifice the breath-ability and dump heat through the side zips if the durability and dry time is better as advertised. Thank you.

I have been using the Kutana rain gear for a year now. I find it to be almost perfect. It’s durable and dries fast. I hunt I Norway, and it rains a LOT. When the gear is soaked it will dry to acceptable levels within hours, even in the field. I’m happy with it:)

Trekker

FNG
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I got the kutana ordered. I have a 10 day caribou mountain goat hunt in September and should see a range of conditions and activity levels. Ill report back how they perform. Cheers.

gelton

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life. I am considering the Kutana rain jacket vs the Chugach and am concerned about the leaky pocket issue that someone brought up in this thread and is explained in the video below.

Without worrying about a leaky pocket I would definitely lean towards the Kutana due to the fact that I am not very active during heavy downpours anyway so the breathability isn't a huge concern, and would think that the Kutana would do better in the wind when just using it as a shell...but if the pockets fill up with water its a no go (this brings back memories of their first run of mountain star tents that leaked, seems like they just put stuff out with no real world testing, but its priced right and out of the big three seems that it would fit my needs best)

TSAMP

WKR
Ill also add in case any lurkers are about. I feel the cabelas space rain gear is underrated. I have it and the chugach line as my primary rain gear. I rock the space rain 90 percent of the the time in Iowa. Ive actually toyed with selling the chugach from lack of use but cant seem to part with it. If your a whitetail guy space rain will do you fine. Its much quieter, in my opinion. Rain gear is somewhere its easy to overspend, at least for us midwest types.

tdot

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life. I am considering the Kutana rain jacket vs the Chugach and am concerned about the leaky pocket issue that someone brought up in this thread and is explained in the video below.

Without worrying about a leaky pocket I would definitely lean towards the Kutana due to the fact that I am not very active during heavy downpours anyway so the breathability isn't a huge concern, and would think that the Kutana would do better in the wind when just using it as a shell...but if the pockets fill up with water its a no go (this brings back memories of their first run of mountain star tents that leaked, seems like they just put stuff out with no real world testing, but its priced right and out of the big three seems that it would fit my needs best)

After a couple hunts on my Chugach top/Kutana bottom combo I'm happy with this setup. It uses the relative strengths of each line in the most appropriate place, imo. Been pleasantly surprised with the durability of the Chugach as well.

I'd take Chugach as a wind blocker and would also take the Chugach for just sitting around in the rain too.

Deadfall

WKR
I have both. They are both tough and work great. Tge lighter one stays on my saddle year round. Got a few years on them. Bullet proof

Deadfall

WKR
At first I thought it was too noisy for stalking. But after a few 20 yrd experiences ice since changed my mind. Seems noisy but never had either scare animal off. Same goes for yukon which I also have. Use the yukon during winter

PA Hunter

WKR
I have Chugach & Yukon,the Chugach packs great and is lightweight. If your wanting a great packable set get the Chugach can’t go wrong. If I’m living daily in rain gear I’m wearing Yukon.

GarrettA

FNG

Great review video, thanks!