Kuiu kenai vs first lite uncompahgre?

Rus

FNG
Looking at getting one of these for chilly mornings during early rifle season. They appear to be very similar and I believe they have both been updated in the last couple years. Anyone with experience with either or both? Are they basically the same thing or are there differences? What say you roksliders?

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I own both. They are similar but in our Raffle + Review on Insulated Jackets we rate the KUIU Kenai higher. Mainly because of how quiet and comfortable it is. Both are great pieces and I don't think u'll be disappointed with either.

OP
R

Rus

FNG
Would you say they are about the same as far as warmth? Thanks for the reply. Just checked out your site pretty cool idea!

I wear the Patagonia Nano Air (pretty much same thing as the Kenai) with a baselayer and Sitka Cold Weather Hoody down into the 20's. Much colder or if the wind were ripping I'd go with something more substantial like legit goose down puffy. The Kenai shines as an active puffy, so you could hike in it in colder temps. As mentioned, it is very quiet too. I love that jacket and have enough patches of Tenacious Tape on it to prove it.

I thought the uncompaghre was underwhelming in terms of warmth. At least the first gen. Kenai a little warmer (also first gen)

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Would you say they are about the same as far as warmth? Thanks for the reply. Just checked out your site pretty cool idea!

I would say the Kenai is warmer. I use both as a mid layer but you could easily use it as an outer layer (as long as not going through brush) in spring and fall.

lonedave

WKR
I have both and I think they are pretty much even as far as warmth goes. I’ve had my uncompahgre for about six or seven years and it’s what I use exclusively. I’ve only had my kenai for a little over a year and it just hangs in the closet. The medium uncompahgre fits me really well with plenty of extra room for layers. On the flip side, I had to size up to an XL in the Kenai to get the arms to fit at the armpits. I think the pit zips narrow the sleeves at that point and they were too tight on the L. For reference, I’m about 5’-9” and 185# and probably average build for a 63 year old!

OP
R

Rus

FNG
I have both and I think they are pretty much even as far as warmth goes. I’ve had my uncompahgre for about six or seven years and it’s what I use exclusively. I’ve only had my kenai for a little over a year and it just hangs in the closet. The medium uncompahgre fits me really well with plenty of extra room for layers. On the flip side, I had to size up to an XL in the Kenai to get the arms to fit at the armpits. I think the pit zips narrow the sleeves at that point and they were too tight on the L. For reference, I’m about 5’-9” and 185# and probably average build for a 63 year old!
Hey thanks for your review. Sounds like they are pretty similar just have to figure out which one fits ME the best.

DmichaelD

FNG
No experience with the Kenai, but I really like the uncompahgre! Quite warm for its weight and I really like the tapered sleeve as a bow hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rus