Kuiu kenai packable gloves

KClark91

FNG
Heading to Colorado for 2nd season rifle hunt. I picked up a pair of kenai gloves and they feel pretty warm for their weight but haven’t had a chance to test them. I have a pair of kuiu axis gloves that I’ve used for a few years and was planning on layering the kenai over the axis for glassing and if temps drop. Does anyone have any actual experience with the kenai?

nate907

FNG
I think you'll be fine with the Kenai gloves, I've run them for several years. No issue running them below zero.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
I think you'll be fine with the Kenai gloves, I've run them for several years. No issue running them below zero.
I was planning on wearing the kenai over the axis if it got really cold but wasn’t sure if they were going to be warm enough or should get a true glommit

nate907

FNG
I was planning on wearing the kenai over the axis if it got really cold but wasn’t sure if they were going to be warm enough or should get a true glommit
i've layered thin wool gloves below them and it helped when temps were well below zero. no experience with the axis gloves personally, but I'm sure they would help if they aren't too tight when layered. I like to use the pockets on my jacket when my hands get a bit cold and the less bulky kenai gloves actually let me use them.

I think it depends on how cold your hands get. My hands are the one thing that gets cold easily. I used Kuiu mittens third season a couple years ago in Colorado and was very happy with them. I had a couple times when I didnt put the mittens on and my hands froze. I bought the Kenai gloves a couple months ago for a sheep hunt in a couple weeks and feel like they'll be great for that when it shouldnt be as cold.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
I think it depends on how cold your hands get. My hands are the one thing that gets cold easily. I used Kuiu mittens third season a couple years ago in Colorado and was very happy with them. I had a couple times when I didnt put the mittens on and my hands froze. I bought the Kenai gloves a couple months ago for a sheep hunt in a couple weeks and feel like they'll be great for that when it shouldnt be as cold.
Which mittens did you get? Looking at the northstar vs pro down glommits

Are the decently water resistant for light rain/snow. Debating between these and northstar
Ya they're decent but certainly not waterproof. Northstar is better for wet weather but nowhere near as warm. I have both and haven't touched the Northstar in years.

OP
K

KClark91

FNG
Ya they're decent but certainly not waterproof. Northstar is better for wet weather but nowhere near as warm. I have both and haven't touched the Northstar in years.
So if you were going to buy one for really cold weather and glassing would you get the down pro?

Kostrize

WKR
I have these gloves and like them for active use below 20F. My hands run cold and they probably would not be enough insulation for me in static use at temps below 40F. Nice product it’s just not a lot of insulation overall