Kuiu icon vs pro

Not sure,but I have the pro 6000. If I remember right the pro has external pockets and the other one doesn't.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They’ve had a few generations and the icon name could represent a few different things.

-Icon (1st gen),
-icon pro & ultra (2nd gen with the ultra being a lighter more streamlined option),
-pro, pro lt (LT is a lighter fabric with a few less features but not so minimalistic as the original ultra). This is the current offering and the outer pocket has two side zips vs one down the middle.

rootacres

WKR
The original KUIU was made using the Icon suspension system and Icon packs. The newer generation suspension system is the Pro. When they dropped the Pro suspension system they dropped some new packs too.

Pick your poison when it comes to bags. My understanding is all the bags work on both suspension systems. After using both I much prefer the Pro over the Icon.

LaHunter

WKR
Does the original icon have a load sling set up on it?
The Icon suspension & bags have not been made since about 2014, when the Icon Pro suspension and bags were introduced. The Icon frame had issues with breaking, according to the internet. The differences between the two are big: 1) frame design, shape, and strength, 2) waist belt and shoulder straps are significantly more robust, 3) pack bags are made of stronger material with better zippers, 4) bag design is more functional.

The Pro suspension and bags are the newest generation, these were introduced maybe a couple years ago. Frame is the same as the Icon Pro, with an ungraded waist belt. New Pro bags were introduced, made of the same material (500D Cordura) with a little different design and capacity.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the original icon have a load sling set up on it?
They are designed to utilize the bag as part of holding a load next to the frame. They offer a sling sold separately but I can’t say if it’s compatible with the old icon frame, it should work with the icon pro and pro models.