Kuiu guide pants compared to SG De Havilland

Wondering if the original de Havilland is as warm, warmer, or cooler than the the kuiu guide. I have the guide pants, but don't want to get the de Havilland if they are similar. I would go with the de Havilland lites in that case.

bascott1

WKR
I think the SG pants are a little warmer than the Kuiu. I like the dehavillands better. I wish they had a screen or something when dumping heat though. Tend to get rocks and snow in them sometimes when making a steep descent. Other than the the pocket layout is much better in my opinion.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I think the SG pants are a little warmer than the Kuiu. I like the dehavillands better. I wish they had a screen or something when dumping heat though. Tend to get rocks and snow in them sometimes when making a steep descent. Other than the the pocket layout is much better in my opinion.
Wow, I was not expecting the de Havillands to be warmer than the Guides. That helps me with my decision, looks like I should go with the de Havilland lites. Would you say the original de Havilland is way too warm for May bear hunting, or even mid October deer? I am referring to Backcountry hunting. Thank you so much for the reply! Do you have any experience with the lites?

sr80

WKR
Wow, I was not expecting the de Havillands to be warmer than the Guides. That helps me with my decision, looks like I should go with the de Havilland lites. Would you say the original de Havilland is way too warm for May bear hunting, or even mid October deer? I am referring to Backcountry hunting. Thank you so much for the reply! Do you have any experience with the lites?
The regular DH’s are more on par with the attack pants. They do not have a fleece backer like the guide pants do. The DH lites might be better suited to spring bear in my opinion. And regular for October. But you could get the lites and layer a base under for October if needed.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
The regular DH’s are more on par with the attack pants. They do not have a fleece backer like the guide pants do. The DH lites might be better suited to spring bear in my opinion. And regular for October. But you could get the lites and layer a base under for October if needed.
Hmmmmm, thanks. If the regular De Havilland are on par with the attacks then that is the way I would go. @bascott1 are you saying in your opinion that the regular De Havillands are WARMER than the Guides in your opinion? I just seem to be getting a wide range of opinions.

I hate that you cannot order them is specific waist/inseam sizes. I've had bad luck ordering pants any other way. Guess I'll stick with Attacks.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The DHs are not lined like the Guides are, but I still wouldn’t wear them until it got colder out. I primarily wore the DH Lites last year until it started snowing and got cold out, but I was really impressed with them. I did wear the DHs a few times when it was cold with little snow/precipitation and was happy.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
The DHs are not lined like the Guides are, but I still wouldn’t wear them until it got colder out. I primarily wore the DH Lites last year until it started snowing and got cold out, but I was really impressed with them. I did wear the DHs a few times when it was cold with little snow/precipitation and was happy.
Would you wear the lites or regulars say in 30 degree temps in the morning/night and 50s in the day?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The guides are going to run a lot warmer. Regular DH’s can be warm over 40F. They also have a significant amount of nylon, and the kuiu is straight poly.

As far as the sizing…..you can’t order them in waist sizes because they adjust in size…..kinda the point of the pant. Certainly fair not liking it, but they are significantly more comfortable under a pack belt than attacks. Attacks are better to just wear around and I like their cut more, but if you’re backpacking, huge difference in performance. That comparison would also apply with the guides.

Guides are warmer for sure than the DH.

Personally I think the DH is like a more versatile attack, they are a bit better with snow, rain, wind, can be worn in colder temps more affectively, and can be worn to about the same top end temp.

School for your use I would go with the lites. I have all 3 plus attacks. I tend to wear the lites early season (80-90 highs), then sometime late September or early October switch to attacks and DH until it’s snowy or very wet then I go to the guides.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Guides are warmer for sure than the DH.

Personally I think the DH is like a more versatile attack, they are a bit better with snow, rain, wind, can be worn in colder temps more affectively, and can be worn to about the same top end temp.

School for your use I would go with the lites. I have all 3 plus attacks. I tend to wear the lites early season (80-90 highs), then sometime late September or early October switch to attacks and DH until it’s snowy or very wet then I go to the guides.
Thanks so much. I have some early season kuiu pants, the alpines and Tetons. I'll use those in the early season. I am going to go with the regular DH's then when it gets real cold, switch to guides, thanks!

Thanks so much. I have some early season kuiu pants, the alpines and Tetons. I'll use those in the early season. I am going to go with the regular DH's then when it gets real cold, switch to guides, thanks!

I hated the alpines, always felt cool and clammy in them and the knee pads were cold on skin.

bascott1

WKR
Hmmmmm, thanks. If the regular De Havilland are on par with the attacks then that is the way I would go. @bascott1 are you saying in your opinion that the regular De Havillands are WARMER than the Guides in your opinion? I just seem to be getting a wide range of opinions.
My bad my bad. I thought you meant attacks. I retract my previous statement. They are not as warm as the guides. For some reason I saw attacks and not guides. I think the SG are perfect for may bear hunting and October. I’ve worn mine anywhere from 60’s down to single digits with a light base layer. I think it’s the perfect pant for most hunting.

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
My bad my bad. I thought you meant attacks. I retract my previous statement. They are not as warm as the guides. For some reason I saw attacks and not guides. I think the SG are perfect for may bear hunting and October. I’ve worn mine anywhere from 60’s down to single digits with a light base layer. I think it’s the perfect pant for most hunting.
Awesome, thanks so much!

Sean1

FNG
I hate that you cannot order them is specific waist/inseam sizes. I've had bad luck ordering pants any other way. Guess I'll stick with Attacks.
They did tell me that they will hem the pants for you for an extra $20, they will move the knee pads a little if necessary as well if needed.