Kuiu durability

I've had pretty good luck, aside from gaiters. I like their gaiters, but they don't seem to hold up well for me, that being said, they have had great customer service in replacing them no questions asked. Their merino doesn't have a ton of life to it, but I haven't had any merino from any brand last long term, I just figure those are pieces you need to replace every handful of years. I have a pair of the original Attacks, from literally the first batch they made, that have held up very well, including many years guiding full time, so hundreds of days in the field. They finally started showing some wear and tear this year, I still have them, but grabbed another pair.

I have never tried one of their packs, but I hear they aren't as durable as other brands.

I have OG Attack pants and Guide jacket made in Canada. They have been everywhere from Florida to Hawaii, Wyoming and all over California and now NZ. They are still going strong, but showing some wear, but no failures. Same for the 145, 185 and 210 merinos. I had their first gen bino harness fail on the strap, but it had been chewed on by rodents in the backcountry.

I have liked what I've tried from SG and FL too. I don't see any major differences, but the fits do seem a little different and I like how the Kuiu fits for me. I still have some Sitka from before Kuiu was a brand, that is still is holding on. It doesn't get top rotation, but every now and again I take it out. Options are nice. :)

After much thought and research, I bought the Kuiu guide pants last November. Wore them a handful of times- easy use. No hard hunting. Waist button broke loose behind the belt- as I was headed out of the house for a turkey hunt this year. I’m a skinny guy so I wasn’t even pushing the waistband hard against the button.
Shot Kuiu a warranty claim email and was told to mail them in (on my dime) and they will repair it. Left me high and dry 1st week of turkey season. Hell of a warranty for $179.00 retail pants.
Thank god my Sitka Traverse pants were in full operating order and have carried me thru the remaining turkey season here in Missouri.
If you are considering Kuiu, don’t bother.
If you value your money, don’t give it to them.
It’s a shame because I was wanting to outfit my youth in Kuiu from the recent sale. Oh well. Sitka all the way.
Ok, Karen.

There is no brand I've found that makes ALL of their clothing the most durable.

For example, the Kuiu Guide pants are tough, but the Attacks are crap.

You have to source each piece, and in some cases, all of the options are not very durable. Kenai is one of those. It is not made to be a bombproof layer, much like similar pieces from other brands.

All their clothing has been good for me. I had an older icon pro bag that wasn’t as durable as I would have liked.

Been a lurker for a while and figured I should make an account. People who own lots of kuiu - how’s the durability? I recently purchased a Kenai hooded jacket, and while it’s certainly lightweight and warm, I’ve been frankly unimpressed with the durability. After extremely light usage (wearing around town a few times and a light day hike) there is an unacceptable amount of pilling. Before I get too heavily invested into a Kuiu system, I’d like to know if this is just specific to the Kenai jacket or is a recurring problem. If the latter is the case - what are some alternate recommendations?
I had a similar issue with the Kenai line, but a little bit of pilling is fine. Everything else is stellar. I love the Yukon rain gear and highly recommend them. Their thermals a fantastic also.

I've used Firstlite and Swazi, but Kuiu was better. It hurt turning my back on Swazi because I'm a Kiwi so I wanted to support NZ made, but since Swazi move 99% of their manufacturing off-shore it made the decision easier, I still have a bunch on their NZ-made stuff I just won't be buying any new stuff.

Those who say that their Kuiu gear didn’t hold up must hunt in some super rough gnarly terrain. I have hunted every year in my Kuiu gear for 4 years now and it still looks new.

I just like the way their stuff fits. Nothing is invincible, but I like the few items I’ve gotten so far.

I have a few things from Kuiu. Some I like and some I don’t. I had their 145 merino hoodie and it fell apart in a 2 seasons. Holes and tears everywhere. Holes in the back wore through from my backpack. Grab the bottom and pull down cuz it was riding up on me and fingers punched through the fabric. I have the strongfleece jacket and I really like that however. I love my chugach rain gear also. I just ordered a new 120 hoodie and the new wind pro fleece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple day packs and really like them. Use the divide 1500 for flights as well as all the outdoor stuff.

I have two pairs of attack pants that are holding up fine through two seasons so far. My buddy has the backpack/frame that seems nice, no issues through one season so far, time will tell but I like the attack pants a lot

I have or had clothing from just about everyone. Kuiu has been one of the most durable for me. I haven’t tried their merino but their synthetic base layers are my favorite.

Attacks, tiburons, northridge rain jacket, peleton shirt, hats, 260 hybrid all been good.
Kutana Gaiters are showing more wear than I'd expect for their use.
The merino hasn't held up at all, but I think that's a merino problem not a kuiu problem, since the woolx underwear I tried didn't make it half as long as kuiu merino top.
Don’t give up on merino man. I just tossed 3 pair of woolX boxers while my kuiu are going strong. I think it’s the seem that shredded them. 2021 version I believe. Same scenario a bunch of years ago with some cabela’s MTP (synthetic) boxers of two different generations of construction. The old ones I still have, newer ones with heavy seems shredded quickly. Have a bunch of woolX tops and they are tough, even the light stuff. Daily wear and rare wash for my fav around the house T. Had it 4 years I think. Love my Kuiu and FL merino too. I don’t wash any of it unless it’s deformed, dirty or sweat soaked. No agitator in our machine either. Maybe that’s the merino trick.

Fun thread...started reading, thinking "I don't have but a few pieces from Kuiu, wonder what others have to say about the brand"...but got to counting, and for sure I have at least 20 items of clothing from them, and I am probably overlooking one or two.

The only item that I have really trashed would be some merino side-zip base layer leggings. Those got serious abuse - several elk hunts in the heavy timber wearing shorts and the (camo) base layers underneath. They are still functional but have several patches.

The Tiburons are really too light for any serious abuse IMO; the Kutana pants have been able to handle more rough stuff than even the Attacks.

Overall, I'm pretty happy & I'd say the products are pretty durable. I spend 40-60 days afield most years....and that's just hunting. Canada canoe trips are another 16-18 days...

I’ve had a few pieces over the years get worn down or have issues:

2015 Guide Jacket, wore out in the seat area. Essentially the bungee cord pocket that you could cinch tighter around your waist ripped and failed after several years. I’ve used it as an everyday garment and while hunting Western Oregon. It’s been a favorite and now has been replaced with a new Guide jacket.

2019 Super Down Ultra Hooded Jacket, same use as the ‘15 Guide Jacket. It works well, but not a fan of the down feathers poking through. I’ve had it sewn in a spot that rubs along the waistline. I’ve also caught the zipper for the pocket on the garment and ripped a hole in it. Kuiu warranty sent out an iron on patch (similar to tenacious tape). It’s held and is fine.

2023 Guide Pant, single season on it and somehow I tore the seat glassing or sliding down. Not sure how it happened but it’s not something that can’t be sewn or fixed.

I also have a few Attack pants that show wear and tear. A couple pieces of the 200 Pro Merino Zip T’s that show piling and wear from use. Things that have lasted for me are is an 2015 Icon Pro Pack and Frame, and the Yukon Jacket, Pants, and Gaiters. I feel like most of this stuff are like tires, you are going to wear it out and your mileage may vary.

Have had kuiu for 4 or 5 years with overall great review, never had a zipper issue on anything, tough, the fit always impresses me, just a matter of finding the right pieces for your needs, almost too many pieces/options anymore

I’ve been running Kuiu for 5-6 years now and have no complaints. I still have my first attack pants that I bought 6 years ago and have put them through some tough hunts, ranging from elk hunting to chasing pheasants. With that being said they do show signs of wear and snags from barb wire on my pheasant hunts.

Still 100% wearable, just don’t look pretty and not as water resistant. I will continue to run Kuiu products.

KUIU is top tier clothing and is right there with Sitka for durability. Each company has a piece or two that may not be as durable as others. I buy Sitka and KUIU for durability.

Back