KUIU DCS Guide jkt vs Stone Glacier De Hav. jkt

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
In your opinion, which jacket is the best? Hopefully someone will chime in that’s owned both for an apples/apples comparison

Thanks

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We highly recommend the KUIU Guide Jacket and even higher than that, the Axis Hybrid. We do a review + raffle on Soft Shell Jackets and the KUIU Axis is one of the top chosen by the winners with the Guide DCS as a close second.

That SG doesn't rank in the top 5 usually chosen.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We highly recommend the KUIU Guide Jacket and even higher than that, the Axis Hybrid. We do a review + raffle on Soft Shell Jackets and the KUIU Axis is one of the top chosen by the winners with the Guide DCS as a close second.

That SG doesn't rank in the top 5 usually chosen.
I don't understand this comment. So you base what's best off what the drawing winners choose as a prize?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't understand this comment. So you base what's best off what the drawing winners choose as a prize?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We have our own gear review on Soft Shell Jackets in which we rate the KUIU Guide DCS higher than the SG.

However, our winners can choose the jacket they personally think is best, and they feel the Axis Hybrid is at the top.

Just presenting the data we have from tens of thousands of seats sold.

sr80

WKR
ive actually had both, and i prefer the SG jacket myself. I find it fits better, it stretches better, breathes better and is just a better performing jacket. I found the guide jacket to be too hot to hike in, the material is stiff and boxy feeling. If you've got long arms you'll appreciate the cut of the sleeves on the DH jacket. The only thing i think the guide jacket is better than the DH jacket is the noise level, but i have found that the DH jacket does soften up and quieten down. If you think you need camo though, the DH jacket come only in a solid colour.

Honyock

WKR
I've used the Kuiu Guide jacket for several years and really like it. Haven't tried SG since I haven't seen a need to change. You probably won't go wrong with either. Find what fits you the best.

Stone glacier is more of a true shell

Guide jacket is usually what people think of softsheels with a decent amount of bonded fleece.

Two better options is the jet stream and axis. Just way better tech in those jackets.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
ive actually had both, and i prefer the SG jacket myself. I find it fits better, it stretches better, breathes better and is just a better performing jacket. I found the guide jacket to be too hot to hike in, the material is stiff and boxy feeling. If you've got long arms you'll appreciate the cut of the sleeves on the DH jacket. The only thing i think the guide jacket is better than the DH jacket is the noise level, but i have found that the DH jacket does soften up and quieten down. If you think you need camo though, the DH jacket come only in a solid colour.

This. Having owned both, this is a solid comparison. There’s nothing wrong with the Kuiu. I found the DeHavilland to be better in wind, and the hood/collar design is really nice when the weather is less than optimal. Like cruising up a ridge hard in gusting wind, without soaking yourself.

The thing with clothing is there’s a lot of fit and personal preference stuff. SG stuff really shines when you put a backpack on and go. In your house or around town, different story. So it all depends on what you are looking for, how you’ll use it, how you want the fit.

ILIKEGEAR - hey first off, thanks for sponsoring the site, sincerely appreciated. I also can appreciate that you have a review somewhere. But unless you bring some of that actual field experience to the table, I’m not sure how your above inputs do anyone a lot of good. Reads like groupthink to me. Folks entering or buying or whatever isn’t really a metric I’d put much trust behind. I’m interested to hear what your top choices are, based on your review work, and why though, because softshells get hit a lot on here, even if they aren’t applicable to a ton of situations.

ddigman3

FNG
I have both the Guide and the De Havilland. I wear the Kuiu for both my mountain hunts and midwest whitetail hunts. I have the SG for my everyday and upland jacket in the midwest. I think the Kuiu is slightly quieter with a more wider fit in XL. I typically wear a L for everyday shirts/sweatshirts/jackets but as with most Kuiu stuff I always go up one size to get a "normal" fit. The SG is a little bit louder and feels stretchier. The pocket location on the SG works better with a pack or bird vest but is a little small to hold everyday hat and gloves. The SG in L fits more athletically or "normal" on my body but my one gripe with it is the sleeve length seems slightly longer than a normal jacket would be. I have longer arms so usually the sleeves aren't long enough for me. I think both jackets perform well in the wind having hunted both jackets in the stiff Iowa winter winds.

Basically, I would wear and recommend either jacket in any situation just slight differences in fit and material as noted above. I bought the Kuiu first as that's what I typically wear. After hearing good things about the SG I wanted to try it and needed a new everyday jacket that would crossover for upland hunting as well.