Kuiu Chugach vs Stone Glacier M5

Everything I’ve seen is chugach over stone glacier m5. Anyone had experiences with both? Leaning towards kuiu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I chose M5 jacket as it is more durable at a slight weight penalty and liked the fit a little bit better as I'm broad shoulders. I went with Chugach pants because they were half the weight and I do not use rain pants that much so I gave up little durability for weight saving mostly just sitting in my pack.

For me the jacket is a different story since I wear a rain jacket a lot more for wind protection and I have no problem walking through brush with the M5.

inkedspot

FNG
Personally I chose M5 jacket as it is more durable at a slight weight penalty and liked the fit a little bit better as I'm broad shoulders. I went with Chugach pants because they were half the weight and I do not use rain pants that much so I gave up little durability for weight saving mostly just sitting in my pack.

For me the jacket is a different story since I wear a rain jacket a lot more for wind protection and I have no problem walking through brush with the M5.
That's good logic, haven't seen the SG rain gear in person but their other stuff has all been top notch. I haven't had any problems with my Chugach rain kit, and I have used it a bunch but not in extended torrential downpours or days on end of rain and going through brush.

ddigman3

FNG
I have the Chugach jacket and I love it. Rained on us for 5 days straight in Wyoming last year. Never got wet (or that wet felling from having a saturated jacket), and never got any rips running through the brush.

cck

FNG
Did you ever pull the trigger on either jacket? I’m stuck debating between the same two jackets right now.

OP
W
Did you ever pull the trigger on either jacket? I’m stuck debating between the same two jackets right now.

Sportsman’s warehouse ran a 50% discount on the Sitka dew point so I grabbed that. If I was going to choose today I would get the chugach

cck

FNG
Sportsman’s warehouse ran a 50% discount on the Sitka dew point so I grabbed that. If I was going to choose today I would get the chugach

How do you like the dew point? Looks like some colors are still on a pretty good sale.

OP
W
Haven’t used it hunting yet but seems a lot less durable than the chugach or m5 but for the price I don’t really care. We’ll see how it holds up in wet scrub oak this year!

Reactions: cck

CNewell46

FNG
Did you ever get either the M5 or Chugach? I’m also trying to decide between these two

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I can tell you after brush busting and deadfall hell existing a drainage yesterday, M5 durability is impressive. The fit narrows midway up leg and the articulation is a lot closer than a typical straight leg rain pant fit. Trying them on is a must, to me, for checking fit.

The chugach TR looks like it also has articulated knees on fit.

The weight savings won’t be free - you either value weight or durability and pick one. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer.

cck

FNG
Did you ever get either the M5 or Chugach? I’m also trying to decide between these two
I got the M5, so far it’s awesome. Can’t compare it to the chugach, but seems ridiculously durable brush busting and dumps heat well. I haven’t used it in any tremendous downpours yet, but I really like it.

CNewell46

FNG
I got the M5, so far it’s awesome. Can’t compare it to the chugach, but seems ridiculously durable brush busting and dumps heat well. I haven’t used it in any tremendous downpours yet, but I really like it.
Is it quiet? Also what color did you get? I’m interested in the coyote brown but it looks almost yellow

cck

FNG
Is it quiet? Also what color did you get? I’m interested in the coyote brown but it looks almost yellow
Yes it’s pretty quiet. You could make some noise with it just due to the waterproof material being a bit more rigid but definitely not loud. I got the gray, I didn’t like the coyote for the same reason and figured everything is dark when it rains anyway so the gray wouldn’t be a big deal.

I've found that the m5 material wets out too easily.

The couple of annoyances I have are that the draft collar thing behind the zipper on the jacket is constantly getting stuck in the jacket. It's annoying as hell. It takes a certain technique to get it open consistently without hanging up. For the pants, the plastic snap on the leg cuff never stays snapped, and the Velcro on the zipper is kinda pointless, unless it supposed to provide a huge range of sizing. Still, I'd remove the Velcro.

Otherwise I like them.

Pacohunts

FNG
Im in california and picked up the chugach. feels nice and compact. we dont get a ton or rain so this is more of an emergency jacket that stays in my pack. it is quite thin so ill avoid bushwacking with it but so far im a happy, dry, camper.