Kuiu axis vs guide vs Cadog pant

I have the Kuiu guides, but looking for something a little warmer / with more wind resistance. Those of you with the axis- comparing the warmth/ wind resistance to the guides...are they worth it? The fact the have the vents makes them very versatile, honestly if the Cadog 2 had hip vents I probably wouldn’t be sitting here typing this right now. Those with the Cadog- do they breath well? Thanks

I am not sure that they are any warmer, but they block the wind a little better, although I wouldn't say it's a large difference. They also vent really well if you open the pockets and hips. Love the Axis pant though, wore them this year for deer and elk hunts from -7 to 48 degrees. Wind, rain, snow, sunshine. Super versatile for late season hunting. I will add the "waterproof" seat did soak through a little bit from sitting on snow for a while. Bring a glassing pad if you will be wearing these.

AKDoc

WKR
I'm not sure this will be helpful for you because you are looking for warmer, but I'll offer it...

I have used the guide pants for many years during moose hunts up here, and they have been great but sometimes too hot for me. Last year I purchased the Talus pants to test, and I essentially lived in those for two weeks on my September remote drop hunt, never wearing the guide pants I had with me. The knee pads were also a nice addition.

This year for my two week remote drop hunt during the last two-weeks of September I didn't bring my guide pants at all. Instead, I again brought my Talus pants and the new Axis pants to test out. I never got a chance to test the Axis because the Talus was all that I wore. It was below freezing at times and the wind was really blowing for many of those days...and when it was blowing hard and cold, I simply put on my rain pants as an additional layer.

I will say, as a stand alone guide/axis comparative, that the guide jacket is warmer than the axis jacket for me. However, I do like the higher collar on the Axis and layering under it seems easier.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the guides in cool weather until it gets in the 20's then I switch to either Vellus or Cadogs until about 0, then I go to my Cabelas Wooltimate. Have not tried the Axis, so can't really compare.

eoperator

WKR
for me the axis have a bit more wind resistance and water resistant panelling than guides. wish they had abrasion resistant panelling like sitka timberlines

just picked up a set of guides. i find the fit a little weird. the waist had to size up . the legs are a little elephant like. i can live with it because it wont be so bad with a base layer but maybe i just got a bad set.

OP
Gearjunky256
After a little more research the patagonia “shelled insulator pant “ might be worth looking into