Kuiu Axis Pants vs. Sitka Timberline Pants

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Almost done with this review. I spend a lot of time in mid to late-season pants. The Timberlines were my go-to for years. I ran the Axis pants all last year. Anyone else run both? What are your thoughts?

35d90f5acbf64b436d2683eeb3c03c98.jpg

Last edited:

novcie870

WKR
I just picked up a pair of axis. I hunt a lot during the mid-late season here in ID. I’m super anxious for your review!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior

WKR
excited to see your thoughts. looking to get something like this for AK sheep in August. I had been curious about the Kuiu Talus as well

Ryan I’m excited for your review. I’ve never felt Sitka pants performed up to my expectations and tried mountain pants on two separate occasions because I thought I missed something the first time (like you and quilts). Currently my late season pant is the kuiu guide but with the axis coming out those will be my next pant after the guide. I switched up my jackets this year was using Jetstream and switched to the axis. Also wear a guide most days to work. I have a good feel for what each jacket can do. I’ve froze in my guide too many times due to wind, but there is something different with the pants and the wind doesn’t cut through. Jetstream does what it’s meant to and stops the wind but doesn’t breathe and I felt like the dwr was less than impressive. Axis instantly showed it’s exactly what I was looking for with better breathability than the Jetstream and based on my use stops the wind just as well and at the same time solves the dwr weakness with waterproof paneling. Now that’s jackets and not pants but after hunting alongside my friend wearing the axis pants I think this review will be an eye opener for a lot of timberline diehards.

BluMtn

WKR
good write up doverpack. I wear guides and kryptek Vellus and Cadog II pants for everything but the really cold then I wear my Wooltimate Windshear pants. My next pant will be the Axis.

LeeB

FNG
Almost done with this review. I spend a lot of time in mid to late-season pants. The Timberlines were my go-to for years. I ran the Axis pants all last year. Anyone else run both? What are your thoughts?

35d90f5acbf64b436d2683eeb3c03c98.jpg
Any updates on the axis review? I’m about ready to pull the trigger on a pair to replace my timberlines. Thanks

ianpadron

WKR
I picked up the Talus Pro last year and didn't touch my old Timberlines (previously my favorite hunting pant). Wore them for 3 separate week-long hunts. Love 'em.

The KUIU pants are lighter, fit better, dry faster...and the mapped/gridded fleece lining combined with the waterproof lower legs...just put this pant in another universe compared to Sitka. I know my buddy loves his Axis pants as well.

I haven't found anything better than the Timberlines yet...the design, pockets, weight and suspenders make them my GO TO pants except in extreme heat.

LeeB

FNG
I like my timberlines but but my favorite mid to late season pant is the Sitka 90%. The axis pant kinda sounds like a 90% pant with a waterproof knee and seat with heat dump zippers. If so I think they would be hard to beat.

Forgive me if I am just not understanding something, but did you do a review on these yet, Ryan? If so, where it be. I am looking forward to it.

I picked up the Talus Pro last year and didn't touch my old Timberlines (previously my favorite hunting pant). Wore them for 3 separate week-long hunts. Love 'em.

The KUIU pants are lighter, fit better, dry faster...and the mapped/gridded fleece lining combined with the waterproof lower legs...just put this pant in another universe compared to Sitka. I know my buddy loves his Axis pants as well.

The Talus fit really sloppy below the knees. They're like bell bottoms and are loud as shit when you walk. Saying they're in another universe than the Timberlines is a little dramatic lol. I do love my Tiburon pants, but I think the Timberlines fit way better than the Talus.

Grizzly83

FNG
I’m also excited to see this comparison. Personally I think I will retire my timberlines after using the axis last season.

V-TRAIN

WKR
In for review, never had timberlines, but have had the axis pants for 2 years and love them.

I also have the axis jacket and jetstream jacket (have had the jetstream for years).
They are very similar, have been thinking about selling my jetstream, I really need to.
They are basically the same, the jetstream to me feels warmer, but I think that is because it doesn't breathe as well. I pretty much use it still hunting over something and it has always been great.

Grizzly83

FNG
To piggy back on VTrains comments a bit... I personally think there is a much closer battle when comparing the jetstream jacket to the axis jacket than there is with the timberline pants to the axis pants.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Do the axis pants shed water decently ? I have only used mine still hunting over merino on non raining days. I am supposed to go to Alberta next year spot and stalk with bow for mule deer. I have the Yukon set, I saw where the talus pants were on sale and was wondering if I should get them. Was wondering how the axis would be for crawling thru wet grass, from dew.

Could use the Yukon I have, they are not the quietest, or pick up some talus.

To piggy back on VTrains comments a bit... I personally think there is a much closer battle when comparing the jetstream jacket to the axis jacket than there is with the timberline pants to the axis pants.

Totally agree, and this is why I haven’t gotten an axis jacket, because I already had the jet stream. No need to double up and I don’t care about matching patterns.

Regarding dewy grass and crawling through it in axis pants....I would think they would wet out relatively quick. Meaning within 30 minutes or so. Of course would depend on the few, but I am thinking a nice heavy dew. A light dew would probably be no problem.
Light rain will bead off, a heavy rain will eventually soak through. It’s about the amount of water, obviously the more Water volume the quicker you will wet through.
I don’t have any experience with what you are asking about specifically, maybe someone else does...

Grizzly83

FNG
Can’t speak to crawling in the axis as I only sat in wet snow.and the waterproof panel is in the seat.... the rest of the pant will have their dwr treatment just like their guide stuff. So it’s as waterproof as that, if you have any experience with the guide line. I’ve done a ton of crawling in the attack pants and the dwr on those hold up much better than you’d think, but eventually it wets out. Fortunately the attacks dry quickly, but they don’t have the fleece backer that the axis has, so I doubt the axis would dry out as fast.

Pretty sure the axis pant has wp paneling in the knees too. Although not below the knees like the talus. The talus only have grid? fleece where there is wp paneling (I think) and is more breathable and faster drying above the knees (also has wp paneling/fleece at the butt too). Axis is better for a true cold weather pant. Talus is a decent option for more active hunts, but still warmer than other pants. Check me on this, its all a blur since I have been researching all this this last week. I only have had my hands on the axis so far. Talus on the way to compare.