Kuiu Axis Hybrid jacket or first lite uncompahgre foundry jacket

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m trying to decide on an outer shell for elk hunting in Colorado second season rifle. The jacket will also be used for mule deer and pronghorn next year. I’m stuck betweeen the kuiu axis hybrid jacket in valo and the first lite uncompahgre foundry jacket in cipher. I know the camo doesn’t matter too much, but I was wondering which is the better jacket. Both will be about the same price once the kuiu sale hits this weekend. I know the first lite is fully waterproof but I have seen issues with their durability. Looking for personal experience thanks!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The axis hybrid would be better for moving in…..but the unc foundry would be warm, as it’s a hard shell and puffy combined. Certainly not a “packable” piece. If it’s going to be really cold and you’re never taking that foundry piece off, that would make a ton of sense, or if you’re sitting a ton it would also work better. The axis hybrid as an outer layer most of the time would likely work in a wider temp range on the move, and you can throw a puffy over it when stopped, assuming you have one. Neither camo really matters all that much rifle hunting as you’ll likely have blaze over it.

Johnboy11

FNG
depends on how much you're going to be moving. The first Lite being warmer, it may be something that gets to hot to hike in depending on the climate. I like to have two separate layers (one insulation and one outer shell) in case i need to cool off or warm up at certain times. I have the axis hybrid pants and they're warm with their fleece lining but not like wearing insulated pants which I would overheat.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I have the Axis Hybrid and love it, it's a versatile piece especially when paired with a puffy on colder hunts. But it's still a soft shell, and while it's perfectly water repellent enough to keep you dry in patchy showers (even outperformed packable "rain gear"), it will get soaked through with lengthy exposure in a downpour. I think I'm going to switch over to a hard shell like the Kutana Storm or SG M7 so it's legitimately waterproof, and adjust my layering system accordingly. But I also live in the PNW and sometimes hunt west of the Cascades where it's known for lots of precipitation. That's about the only downfall, which I think applies to any softshell. Otherwise, solid jacket.

WashCycle

FNG
I personally think the jackets are in two different categories and you're looking for something that's going to cover kinda warm to pretty cold...I don't think either do that too well. The Foundry jacket is probably the best piece of kit from FL that I own. I've had some durability issues with a few of their items but this jacket is a 10/10. That said, it would be overkill for speed goats and if it's warm during rifle season. It will not pack down well. Probably an ideal cold rifle season jacket that covers all bases. The Kuiu is going to be more versatile temp wise and being a softshell, it moves really well with your body-packs well too. Only downfall is for a cold elk or MD season, you're going to have to have a cold shell jacket over it.