Kuiu Attack Pant Vs. Guide Pant

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
What's the major difference between them other than the weight. Does anyone have experience with both? Does a guy really need both pair? Or will one or the other suffice?

idig4au

WKR
I have both. Depends on your hunting conditions as well as style (stand hunting verses spot and stalk). The Guide pants are a bit heavier and made of the same material as their Guide Jacket with the brushed fleece lining. I wear my Attack pants 90% of the time with varied weight base layers as required. When it gets really cold, then I use the Guide pants. I used my Guide pants last month on a hunt in Turkey and they performed outstanding in very cold snowy and windy conditions. They blocked the wind extremely well. I used the 185 Kuiu base layer and was comfortable. I think they are a good piece of gear to augment your clothing system if you expect to hunt in colder conditions.

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a spot and stalk guy and I think I could get away with wearing the Attack pants 90% of the time. But often times here in MT the weather turns foul and I feel like having the guide pant is a must.. I guess I'm just trying to justify buying both pairs.. You do any hunting in Kyrgyzstan? Seriously beautiful country!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both as well. Attacks work great in cold temps as long as you layer. I am starting to wear my guides less and less. Basically only if its snowy & really cold.

OBP

WKR
I have both as well. Attacks work great in cold temps as long as you layer. I am starting to wear my guides less and less. Basically only if its snowy & really cold.

I also have both and my experience has been the same as Brock's. It has to be really, really cold for me to wear the guide pants.

boom

WKR
i just bought the attack. i think with a med weight merino wool layer, there is nothing i could encounter that would bench me.

the guides are awful heavy..i tried them on..they are awesome..but i think i would melt. i think i would buy a second pair of attack pants before the guides..seems like the perfect weight for my weather.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Same goes for me, unless it is really cold or with a really cold wind I like the attack pants. If you are not into layering too much the guid pants can be worn a little more but they are very warm. I also agree that it really comes down to hunting style, personal preferance, and body type, but you will be happy with either

OP
krossh

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a bunch gents. I'll pick up the attack pants first..

idig4au

WKR
I'm a spot and stalk guy and I think I could get away with wearing the Attack pants 90% of the time. But often times here in MT the weather turns foul and I feel like having the guide pant is a must.. I guess I'm just trying to justify buying both pairs.. You do any hunting in Kyrgyzstan? Seriously beautiful country!

Kyrgyzstan has some of the most amazing country and views I have ever seen. Hunting is not what is used to be though; I think too much pressure on the animals.

The attacks work for everything for me above 25-30 degrees, I hate leg baselayers so I rarely ever wear them. I will say that the guides do an amazing job of wicking sweat and putting them on the outside of the garment. I may get hot but I rarely have sweat buildup under them.