KUIU Attack or Kryptek Valhalla gen 2 Pants

I am looking for a new pair of pants. I currently have Cabelas Microtex pants in 34 unhemmed size. These are the best fitting pair of pants I have ever had for hunting. I would like to find another pair that isn't quite as warm and maybe a little stretchier but still as quiet or quieter. I used to have a pair of Rocky Silent hunter pants and these were the quietest I have ever found but had short legs and I got tired of low riding and using gators together to make them work. I have tried on ASAT Elite essential pants, First Lite Kanab 2012, and various others commonly available. I think I have it narrowed down to these two because the sitka pants seem too loud to me unless they soften up and get quieter after some use and washing. Any other suggestions are welcome I just narrowed it down to these two from what I have read and researched. I have large thighs and need a true 34" inseam to fit and typically most 34" waist pants fit other than the thighs. My measured waist size is 36". DWR and other features would be an added bonus but first and foremost they have to be very quiet followed by fitting correctly then anything else will be considered.

tstowater

WKR
You ask a loaded question. I'll give you my .02 as I have the Attack, The Valhalla Gen 2 and the new Alaios pants. I would personally put the Attack and Alaios pants in the same category and the Valhallas would be more of a lighter weight/warmer weather. All can get you the 34 inch inseam. Might want to be careful about waist size and try both the 34 and 36 to find which one fits better. I like the Attack pants, but the Alaios are really nice. I don't have enough time in them yet, but I could see liking the Alaios even better than the Attack. I will defer to others as to the warmth issue. I don't see any as being noisy. All are going to have a decent amount of stretch to them any be comfortable to wear. Hope this helps. Depending on when you need to make a decision, you might want to check with Shaun when he gets back from his sheep hunt as to his thoughts. He has had KUIU and doing the Kryptek thing this year. Not sure exactly what he took to Alaska. Aron will have plenty of time in both and give you a honest assessment.

OP
doverpack12
There is no rush I am happy with the Microtex for now just looking for something a little higher end. The warmth I don't think will be an issue between the 3. I have seen plenty of people say they use the attack in warmer weather. I know its a pretty loaded subject with lots of different opinions. I would love to be able to try them on but that isn't an option with KUIU and I haven't seen much 2013 Kryptek appearing yet other than about 10 pieces a few weeks ago and nothing since.

Mike7

WKR
I haven't worn the Kryptek, but have tried the Microtex, Microtex Lite, and Attack pants. For me the Attacks are the most comfortable and are the warmest in cold weather. In hot weather they seem to be not nearly as warm/uncomfortable as the regular Microtex, although maybe a little warmer than the Microtex Lite (mostly just while walking/exerting in the hot weather though and seem cool some while stopped because of their breathablility). The regular Microtex is by far the most durable of all of these pants though. So far I have been wearing the Microtex-lite in early September and Attacks thereafter. Have been watching reviews and waiting to try one of the newer early season lightweight pants by Kryptek, Firstlight, Kuiu, etc.

OP
doverpack12
Mike7 how do the sizes compare between the Microtex and Attack pants? I have the microtex in 34 unhemmed and they are perfect in every aspect for fit. I cant seem to find microtex lite in unhemmed lengths to try

Mike7

WKR
The sizing seems very similar but i can wear a size smaller in the attacks because they stretch so well, while the microtex doesn't stretch at all.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
My little bit of info: I use the Cabelas Light Microtex or my BDU pants for hunting in warm or mild weather. Earlier this spring I purchased a pair of Attack pants and was very pleased with the performance. I've used them on 2 snowshoe trips and 4 different backpacking trips in the Sierras this year to test their performance. The best over all description is a "high-tech" blue jeans. Good fit (I'm size 34 waist), very durable, comfortable, and dried out very quickly...but not quite as quiet as Microtex. I generally wear rei sahara pants for backpacking, but the attacks worked pretty good to. The Attacks were on the warm side, but I was in warm very mile weather backpacking (75 during days). This didn't bother me too much because I used the side zippers and rolled the pants up to my knees. During my snowshoe trips temps ranged from 25-60 degrees and had no problem keeping me comfortable during rest stops or in camps. I plan to do most of my hunting in these pants, if the weather is cold or I'm in a tree stand I'll probably wear a light pair on long underwear as a first layer. I love the side zippers and rolling them up for warmer conditions.

OP
doverpack12
Did a little more searching of my clothing and came up with more questions. I have the Microtex for early season and then I have the Russell L3 Zephyr pants which have a DWR coating for days when it rained the night before or it is raining when I leave. I think i want something a little lighter or more breathable than the microtex early on (thinking Valhalla or Attack) then eventually replace the Zephyr pants with something that is as quiet but has a little more stretch and still has the DWR coating (thinking Attack or Dalibor) I didn't see where the Alios had a DWR coating. Eventually I will add a little thicker pant for late October and November-February but right now I have lots of wool and fleece to wear out first. I actually forgot about the Zephyr pants in my first post and didn't remember at all how very quiet they are which is high on my priorities list. They fit fairly well but don't stretch hardly at all.

OP
doverpack12
Any info on how the sizing of the Kryptek pants runs compared to their listed sizes or a similar pair of another brand pants?

Any info on how the sizing of the Kryptek pants runs compared to their listed sizes or a similar pair of another brand pants?

I wear a 32-36 in cinch/wrangler jeans and the Valhalla pants in 32-35 fit me perfect. SLIGHTLY tighter around the waist. They are extremely thin and feel like they'll breath excellent. Plan on using them for summer scouting and into the middle of September, possibly later with my merino bottoms underneath but don't have much experience yet. Just got them last week and am taking them on their first hunt this Friday. Hope they hold up cause they're the only pants I'm bringing! :)

Mike

OP
doverpack12
Just thought I would post what I ended up with and how they have been working. Originally I ordered a 36x35 pair of Valhallas and they fit alright but were slightly too big in the waist and I got a little bit of pinching under my pack belt, also the bottoms around the ankles were a little big on me and occasionally I would catch my foot taking the next step on the material. I then ordered a pair of Valhallas in 34x35 and these were the fit I was looking for. Waist was perfect and the ankle was no longer a problem because I filled the pants out a little more up higher resulting in less material ending up around my ankle. I also ordered a pair of Attack pants in size 34 and these fit great as well. My waist measures 35" almost exactly and I am 6'1" with a shorter torso and long legs so I typically need a 34-35" inseam. Hopefully this information helps someone else with fit.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted 8 days straight in my Kryptek Alios and they still look and smell new. Ive hiked about 15 miles. up and down 30% grades on my knees sometimes sitting on the ground you name it. I completely love these pants. They stretch nicely very comfortable. not to hot not to cold just a all around awesome piece of gear. I give them a 10 out of 10. The ability to throw in knee pads are awesome. 11 Pockets in the right place and these things dry fast and wick water beautifully. I used the cabelas Microtex also great pants but the Kryptek are in an entire nother class. From what I hear the Valhalla arnt as sturdy as the Alios so if your tough on your gear go with the Alios Pants. You wont regret it. Also the Dalibor Coat man dont get me started. That coat is a dream and handles everything Ive thrown at it. Water resistant. didnt even have to throw on my rain gear in a slight Colorado Rain storm. Wicks great keeps you warm when you couple it with Murino Shirt and is very cool in the heat.

Im a Kryptek fan for life. Can you tell? =)

OP
doverpack12
I hunted 8 days straight in my Kryptek Alios and they still look and smell new. Ive hiked about 15 miles. up and down 30% grades on my knees sometimes sitting on the ground you name it. I completely love these pants. They stretch nicely very comfortable. not to hot not to cold just a all around awesome piece of gear. I give them a 10 out of 10. The ability to throw in knee pads are awesome. 11 Pockets in the right place and these things dry fast and wick water beautifully. I used the cabelas Microtex also great pants but the Kryptek are in an entire nother class. From what I hear the Valhalla arnt as sturdy as the Alios so if your tough on your gear go with the Alios Pants. You wont regret it. Also the Dalibor Coat man dont get me started. That coat is a dream and handles everything Ive thrown at it. Water resistant. didnt even have to throw on my rain gear in a slight Colorado Rain storm. Wicks great keeps you warm when you couple it with Murino Shirt and is very cool in the heat.

Im a Kryptek fan for life. Can you tell? =)

What does the Dalibor coat most closely resemble from another common company? if any

Lawnboi

WKR
What does the Dalibor coat most closely resemble from another common company? if any

My hunting partner has the dalibor. Its thicker than both the Sitka Jetstream and KUIU guide by a good margin. Has quite a bit of loft in it, lots of pockets. DWR is not up to what the KUIU is according to him.

If I had to compare it to something, id compare it to the Sitka stratus, but a hair thicker.