Kryptek Njord Review, By Jared Bloomgren

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
4-1.jpg

It's cold out right now and a great time to talk late-season clothing. @Jared Bloomgren took the Kryptek Njord kit into the field in some tough conditions to test it out. Take a look to see if these pieces would improve your clothing system.

Kryptek Njord Review

Last edited:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does the Njord compare to the Vellus for warmth? Thanks in advance.
I would give the slight edge to the Njord for warmth. However if on the move and wanting to be 100% silent and comfortable I would give the edge to the Vellus.

JRMiller

WKR
I bought the Njord jacket and pants back in September for a November hunt in Wyoming.
Absolutely love them. Got me through a -5 night, and days of on/off freezing temps and an unimaginable amount of mud. Very warm, very quiet, pit zips are a great. Just keep in mind these are not backpacking fair. A bit too heavy, and a bit too warm. Awesome otherwise

Superdoo

WKR
I wish they would pit side zips on those pants! Then you'd be able to vent on the move. As Jared knows, in ND during rifle season it may be 65 and sunny during the day and 0 with snow at night, but the wind will ALWAYS blow.

I wish they would pit side zips on those pants! Then you'd be able to vent on the move. As Jared knows, in ND during rifle season it may be 65 and sunny during the day and 0 with snow at night, but the wind will ALWAYS blow.
Full length leg zippers should be a standard feature on all hunting pants as far as I'm concerned. Manufacturers seem to be missing this point, except for some rain gear pants or super cold weather bibs. Even Carhartt discontinued their B194 canvas pants with full zips, now that I finally trashed the pair I had to the point of no return.

Maybe Jared can whisper in someone's ear over at Kryptek...
A pair of Dalibors and a pair of Vellus with full hip zips would be the tits. And while they're at it, maybe they could put the pit zips back in the Dalibor jacket. That move just defied all human logic.

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Jared, I appreciate all of the Kryptek reviews you have done. If you had to choose one Kryptek jacket to use stand hunting for whitetail but also be reasonable in weight to take on a more active hunt, which would it be? It may help to note that the stand hunting temps usually do not drop down into the 20s more than about 5 times per season. It's usually in the mid 30s to mid 40s. Thanks!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jared, I appreciate all of the Kryptek reviews you have done. If you had to choose one Kryptek jacket to use stand hunting for whitetail but also be reasonable in weight to take on a more active hunt, which would it be? It may help to note that the stand hunting temps usually do not drop down into the 20s more than about 5 times per season. It's usually in the mid 30s to mid 40s. Thanks!

I would say that I would give the slight edge to the Cadog paired with a vest and merino top. I say this due to the extensive use I have put this jacket through. The pit zips sure help too if needed. in your conditions I think you’d be happy with it!

tymcewen

FNG
thank you all for your thoughts on this system. really dig kryptek. but i think they need to do more to explain pieces with the western archer in mind.