Kryptek Njord or Vellus

Bajr

FNG
I hunt in Northeast Mississippi where the temps during hunting season go from 70 to 40 as high in same week and lows from 50 to 20. On occasion it might be in the teens in morning. So you can wear a t-shirt one day and a jacket the next. Done that this week actually. I'm looking to get new hunting jacket. My friend I duck hunt with has the Njord jacket. He likes it alot for the wind stopping abilities. It is not a bulky jacket at all and he wears it under his waders. I don't duck hunt as much. I'm a die hard deer hunter. Would the vellus be a better option on those morning below freezing? I noticed they both have a different outside fabric. I do want the jacket to be quite when I move and walk to stand. Both are water repellent for what I would need it for. I do hunt in rain but typically not a heavy rain. Vellus does have an odor control aspect to it but I'm not deciding based off that at all.

I want to be able to use jacket for both duck hunting under my waders (I wish Kyrptek made waders also) even at 50 degrees in morning going down river it feels 20 and deer hunting as my outside layer. Will not be bow hunting with them at least not in Mississippi because our bow season is 2 hot for a jacket. I will mostly be in a stand with a gun. I do walk around about mid day but I figure either one I get will have to come off then.

Has anyone owned both and has some insight to share?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

JPL4584

FNG
I purchased the Vellus jacket and pants this year for whitetail stand hunting and have been super happy with them. I'm in southern Missouri and this rifle season was the coldest that I have ever hunted. The Vellus outfit allowed me to wear fewer layers than I would have normally wore and still be warm and comfortable sitting in an open stand. The material is super quiet and comfortable, and, like every other piece of Kryptek gear that I have, both the jacket and pants are very well made. I would recommend sizing up a size on Kryptek tops. Their pants seem to run true to size, but I always go one size bigger for their jackets.

I contacted Kryptek prior to purchasing the Vellus set. They said their Aegis line is the warmest, followed closely by the Vellus, and then the Njord and Dalibor lines. The Vellus set is great for cold weather and sitting still, but I would probably choose one of their lighter lines if I was going to be moving much at all. I will likely purchase at least a set of their pants from either the Njord or Dalibor lines in the future for times when I plan to be on the move more. Also, the jacket might be a little bulky to fit under your waders comfortably.

Hope this helps!

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Njord set. I’ve only been able to wear the entire set once and that was for late season archery. I’ve used the jacket for in the stand, however it’s not very packable IMO. A puffy much better suits that role, however they aren’t as quite.

I’ve found the Njord set to be extremely warm and unbearable if attempting to walk around in them. I haven’t had a single morning where I haven’t regretted wearing the jacket when walking in. Usually I end up overheating and sweating due to the jacket being too warm with just a merino base layer. I don’t even dare wear the pants.

They are great though if your still hunting and will keep you warm in cold windy conditions along with being quite.

Bucsfan69

FNG
I have the Vellus set and it’s great. Warm and very quiet.. if you’re a stand hunter, it’s great to maybe high 30s with decent base layers.. anything under that, you will definitely need more.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I use the Vellus for late season stuff, I have had mine for maybe five or more years and it’s been great. It’s great for super cold rabbit hunting in Colorado, and I use it often when whitetail hunting in CO and Nebraska. With merino base layers, a fleece mid, and the Vellus, it will keep you comfortable while sitting still down below freezing. If you add in a puffy layer, you could go much colder. It’s pretty quiet. It is fleece though so be careful going through brush with little prickers or beggars lice, they stick to it like glue. It’s not very packable so if you plan on walking in with a stand, you gotta make sure you got room for the bulk of it. My only complaint with the set, is that I wish the zipper on the pants leg went up higher. The pants can be a pain to get off or put on over boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys what's the fit like on the vellus? Thinking of the jacket to be my solution for mid to late season deer that could flex for geese too. I'm 6'2 215, always large or xl but have long arms