Kryptek Altitude

Just got the email to preorder the Krypek Altitude line!
Honestly I was pretty excited about this stuff, and to be fair it looks like good stuff. I really love the pattern or more accurately the colors, BUT.....they can't be serious about their pricing!
The entire 11 piece set can be had for a steal (sarcasm) at 3000$$$, saving over $600 off buying the pieces individually.
Still at the bundle discount that averages over $400 an item (grouping ball cap, Beenie, gaiters, and gloves together)
Seems a bit ridiculous to me.
If anyone with deep pockets goes this route, let me know how it is (not that I could ever afford any of it)
The wind/rain pants and jacket set retail for....$1350

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
beating a dead horse here, but I really think Kryptek missed the mark on this one. I am assuming they are attempting an aspiration marketing strategy, and trying to create a new niche instead of compete for market share with Kuiu, First Lite, and Sitka. They have the cool factor for sure, and many guys want to support a veteran owned business, but I think they should have went for a solid backcountry kit that is accessible by the average guy. The problem is, even within the hunting community, very few people even know these "niche" clothing manufacturers exist, or understand the science and benefits to these fabrics and materials. Imagine how small the percentage of hunters is that A: has the disposable income to drop thousands of dollars on a handful of high tech hunting garments, B: Also understand specifically what that clothing is going to do for them, and C: even hunts in environments that would need or dictate such clothing. At the end of the day, that seems like an awful small number of people to me...

OP
Broken Compass
Yeah, i only meet B and C criteria. Haha
Maybe only B...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Yeah I'm a fan of their stuff but no way I'm spending that much, maybe if I used it daily but really even then I doubt I would spend that much. For me to consider it the price has to drop 50% or more.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm only lacking A, so if anyone wants to get a kickstart project going for me I should be good to go :D

elkyinzer

WKR
You mean glassing with Leicas from the inside of a F350 King Ranch doesn't meet the criteria of needing extreme raingear? That crazy price point is driven by ego, not performance. Same concept as women's purses and designer clothes.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Let me first say; I will probably never own it. But after being at the Sheep show the last few days, there are a lot more people that can afford it than you might think. They built this line for Sheep and Goat hunters, and it's their premium line. Look at the price of Schoeller fabrics, not hard to see why the price point is so high, especially after you throw some camo on it.

It looks damn good in person. But at that price, it damn sure better be!

fe4c10a2ad0c7deb713f7f30ecabc878.jpg

Titan_Bow

WKR
Let me first say; I will probably never own it. But after being at the Sheep show the last few days, there are a lot more people that can afford it than you might think. They built this line for Sheep and Goat hunters, and it's their premium line. Look at the price of Schoeller fabrics, not hard to see why the price point is so high, especially after you throw some camo on it.

It looks damn good in person. But at that price, it damn sure better be!

fe4c10a2ad0c7deb713f7f30ecabc878.jpg

I'm not doubting that it is really good gear, and you are right, at those prices it better be. However, I've searched for non-camo hunting garments that use Schoeller dryskin, Primaloft Gold, etc. the same fabrics/components that they are using. You can find Arcteryx, Mammut, and brands like that have items that are not as expensive as this. At the end of the day, its not so much the cost that really bothers me. Its the perceived "miss" from a company that I have wanted to support as a vet myself. Maybe I am totally wrong, and their strategy pays off? I remember when Sitka first hit the market and people said "There is no way someone is going to pay that for rain gear!" However, they created a whole new segment of hunting clothing. Perhaps Kryptek is able to up the game to the next level, who knows.

bates

WKR
I saw it at Sheep Show it was nice, real nice and looks great.

Worth $3k dunno but they are selling. The puffy was super soft

What's $3k if you just booked a $44k stone sheep hunt.

I got my hands on it at the sheep show as well. Really nice stuff for sure. I agree the price seems super steep but there are plenty of sheep and goat hunters out there that can afford it so im sure the target market is there. I will probably try out a pair of the pants for this year and do my best to put them through the ringer. The rest of my gear im pretty happy with but i've been on a search for a killer set of pants for years.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys that have seen it, how does it look in person because it looks really green to me. Now I'm red/ green colorblind but it looks really bright to me?

I don't doubt they will sell a bunch of it. To sheep hunters this is pocket change. I love the Highlander pattern but haven't found pants I care for yet. Maybe this year's stuff will be improved

colonel00

WKR
I'm just calling "First" in line for anyone that wants to unload some on the classifieds at a decent discount :D

LJ Buck

WKR
I tried the pants on and liked them a lot. Can't really say much other then that. Haven't tried them in the field yet. Fit was good and if the fabric stands up to its reputation then well it could be great stuff for guys who spend A lot of time in the hills.

Titan_Bow

WKR
For you guys that have seen it, how does it look in person because it looks really green to me. Now I'm red/ green colorblind but it looks really bright to me?

I don't doubt they will sell a bunch of it. To sheep hunters this is pocket change. I love the Highlander pattern but haven't found pants I care for yet. Maybe this year's stuff will be improved

It would be interesting to see where Kryptek sits as far as market share in the hunting arena? I see guys coming out here to Colorado every year decked out head to toe in Sitka, Kuiu, and First Lite, but you rarely see a guy decked out in Kryptek. I see it, but not as often. I also noticed that Jax stopped selling it, and Sprtsmans Warehouse has a whole wall of Sitka compared to one turnstile rack of Kryptek.
Again, I hope its successful. Aspiration marketing has its place, and I think its really helped push a whole new segment of gear to hunters that was not available 20 years ago.

bates

WKR
I thought it looked great and felt like a bad a$$ wearing it

That's got to be worth something

It's has more to do with the material used then anything else. The rain jacket is a little on the + side of jackets I've seen use c change but it's in camp and is what it is. I cannot imagine many guys buying this stuff honestly though.

I dig Scholler though. But I'd plop cash down for solid colors that can get more use out of.

You mean glassing with Leicas from the inside of a F350 King Ranch doesn't meet the criteria of needing extreme raingear? That crazy price point is driven by ego, not performance. Same concept as women's purses and designer clothes.

I'd disagree, Scholler is the real deal, arguably the best entrants in the business.