Krg bravo /Tikka bolt won't open 45 inch/lbs?*** SOLVED

I'm pretty baffled. Got some barreled actions cerakoted. One being a compact 20" 6.5 cm. Had a 24 inch ss 6.5cm in this krg bravo. Don't remember what it was torqued too but it shot fine. Wanted to put the 24 in ss in a rokstock and put the 20in in the bravo with a lighter scope for a lighter rifle. Well I torque it down to 45in lbs with Wheeler fat wrench (manual says 65 so we aren't even close) and bolt won't open. Crap, I assumed it was the cerakote. Tried the second barreled, (20" 223) and same thing won't open. Around 30-35 they do but that's too light right? Put them both in the OEM tikka stocks at 45 in lbs and they are fine. Hmm ok maybe not the cerakote. Take my ss 24 in action and put it in the bravo and same thing, 45 inch lbs wont cycle. Back it down to around 30-35 and it cycles. I'm assuming when I set it up and shot it before it must have been around 30.

I'm so confused. I took the foreend off to make sure it was seated and torqued correctly. I have 4 Tikkas I know how critical that is. Mag spring also removed so I can use aics mags. It shouldn't be 35 in lbs off right? What am I missing?

EDIT*** PROBLEM SOLVED WAS MISSING WASHER ON REAR ACTIONSCREW DOH

Last edited:
Not insulting your intelligence… Is the safety on? Same action screws? One is longer than the other… are they in the right place? Are there washers that were there and are no longer there?

I’ve got 5 bravos and they are all at 65in lbs.

khuber84

WKR
Action screw protrusion would be what I'm suspecting here. However the front screw on the bravo is captured. I've had some tikkas in the bravo and no issues. I do know I'm running a washer on the rear action screw or it will not function. A thin washer may be needed on the front captured action screw.

OP
bojangles808
Action screw protrusion would be what I'm suspecting here. However the front screw on the bravo is captured. I've had some tikkas in the bravo and no issues. I do know I'm running a washer on the rear action screw or it will not function. A thin washer may be needed on the front captured action screw.
The front one has a washer (could see when I took the foreend off)The rear one does not. Maybe rear needs a washer?

OP
bojangles808
Not insulting your intelligence… Is the safety on? Same action screws? One is longer than the other… are they in the right place? Are there washers that were there and are no longer there?

I’ve got 5 bravos and they are all at 65in lbs.
It cycle fine on 30-35 lbs. Safety not on. I have a washer in the front but not the rear action screw? Maybe that's it?

khuber84

WKR
The front one has a washer (could see when I took the foreend off)The rear one does not. Maybe rear needs a washer?
I have a washer on the rear action screw for my Tikka bravo, came that way. There probably is one up front, I just never tore it down to look.

OP
bojangles808
I have a washer on the rear action screw for my Tikka bravo, came that way. There probably is one up front, I just never tore it down to look.
Hmm maybe that's it. Going to check my bravo box still got some hardwe in there

khuber84

WKR
First thing I do installing an action into a new chassis/stock is install without bolt installed. Most actions have exposed rear screws and you can visibly see if there is any threads sticking up above the cocking piece raceway. The front action screw is kinda go by feel method, it should slowly steadily go to torque, if it's light the all a sudden goes to torque, you're likely too long and it's bottoming out against the tenon. Some actions have the action screw coming up in the area between the breech and lug abutments, too much protrusion in here can lock up your lugs from cycling.