Kowa TSN-774

bluedrew2

FNG
I officially have my first spotting scope en route. I am headed out west to hunt with a buddy and decided it was time to buy a spotter. I had settled on a Swarovski ATC with the buy once cry once mentality and at that point, I spent about 2 weeks here in the optics forum and started rethinking things after reading all of the high praise that Kowa got, I decided I needed to try the high fluorite glass Kowa offered and found a good deal on a Kona TSN-774 with 2 eyepieces. I was dead set on an angled spotter but for the price, I couldn't justify not giving the straight spotter a try. I figured I may as well get one now as the 77 seemed to be the best of both worlds and allowed use of the fluorite crystal eyepieces, and being discontinued it seemed like a good time to grab one up. I figure I should get back to fighting shape before I worry too much about weight of my gear being an issue. Based off of everyones reviews splurging on this used over one of the new Vortex razor's (particularly the smallest, lightest option), I should have a scope to last me a good long time (or outlasts me).

What is everyones favorite eyepiece to use with the 77 series? Being that my scope I coming with two, I am planning on trying them before I assume neither will fit my needs. One is the extended eye relief 25x if i'm remembering correctly and the other is the 30x wide field which appears to be discontinued. I haven't received the scope yet, but will be within the next few weeks.

Here's to hoping I didn't make a dumb decision buying a used mid-sized Kowa over a new Swaro or Leica (albeit at a significant discount over either of these).

I just bought a 774 and purchased the 25-60x lens separately. Love both. I might try the 30x lens eventually, but I like the FOV on the low end of this piece and having the option to zoom in. Now, I need to find a case for it. Can't seem to find a neoprene to fit it....probably will go with a marsupial case

OP
B

bluedrew2

FNG
@IggyTheTurtle, Nice! I was also looking into options for cases, but think I will just run the Kowa mine came with this year being that its short notice. I read some reviews about some of the Vortex cases fitting, but haven't tried it myself so I cannot speak to it at this point. I'll comment more on the spotter after I get a few weeks behind it, but as for now I'm in agreement and satisfied with the 774! Please keep me posted as to the outcome for the case search and if the marsupial works out, or if you end up going another route.

-Drew

Tweeder

FNG
@bluedrew2 Where did you end up finding your spotter at? I’m leaning in that direction also, think I might go for the 77 over the 66.

OP
B

bluedrew2

FNG
@bluedrew2 Where did you end up finding your spotter at? I’m leaning in that direction also, think I might go for the 77 over the 66.
Nice man, I got mine on eBay. You might be able to get it from some other sources for similar pricing but thats the way I went. They had a handful of new models for a solid price, I ended up going used with eyepieces for a bit more.

Tweeder

FNG
Thanks man. I was checking those out on eBay myself. There is a new one complete with the eye piece for 1900ish but it ships from Japan. Didn’t know if I should trust it but the seller has good reviews so it’s probably fine. I just got back from a muley hunt with my old gen 1 vortex razor and it’s just god awful so it’s time for an upgrade

OP
B

bluedrew2

FNG
My theory was that it was shipping from Japan regardless however I do believe it would be cheaper to buy separately. Probably flawed thinking but that is the mindset that I was coming from. Maybe we can work out a deal once I get back from a hunt if you decide to buy separately and I sell the eye piece I dont like as much but by no means am I trying to screw you over. I hope whatever you will do serves you well and please let me know if you find a case/cover that serves you well.

Thanks,

Drew

I like the 25-60 eyepiece on my 774. I haven't tried the fixed 30 eyepiece, but that would be the only other one I would be interested in trying.

For me, it's nice to be able to have the 60x if the conditions allow though, so I'd have trouble giving that up for a fixed.

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Remember when you buy kowa used You no longer have a warranty. Probably won't need it, but putting it out there for people that might not know.