Kowa TSN-553/554 stay-on cover?

I have a Kowa TSN-554 inbound. I wonder if dropping the coin for the stay-on cover is worth it.
I will use the scope on a late October mountain goat hunt and a November mule deer hunt. Is the added weight and expense of the cover worth it or is the scope tough enough without it?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest some kind of protection to prevent scratches. Some just wrap it with athletic tape as an inexpensive and effective option. I've used the stay on cover for my 554 for a couple years. It works great. The eyepiece cover acts as a hanging pouch to store the lense caps in while glassing.

OP
cornstalker
Mine came with the Cordura cover. The Neoprene one looks slick too and I imagine it provides a bit more padded protection.
Not trying to wear you out, but if yours did not come with the Cordura cover, would you pay $150 for one? $200 for a neoprene cover?

OP
cornstalker
Old sock with holes in the right spots and the toe cut off works pretty darn good. Or get all fancy and use a new Darn Tough.

View attachment 707310
I have those exact socks in stock!
I have already purchased a spotter and a tripod for the goat hunt. I still need to get a satellite communicator. I need to go cheap somewhere. Great idea!

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
if yours did not come with the Cordura cover, would you pay $150 for one? $200 for a neoprene cover?
I intended on buying a Cordura one all along until I found the combo deal. You can do better than retail prices... Just check out Cameraland right now.

OP
cornstalker
Thank you. I got the scope from Cameraland.
I have a couple of weeks to figure it out before the sale ends.
Again, I appreciate your input.

I've got the neoprene case by Kowa, as it came with the anniversary version scope. I also have the same for my 883. But they really don't do anything that wrapping them with foam bike handlebar tape wouldn't also do for much much less money and also lighter weight.

mcseal2

WKR
I have used the cordura cover for several years and my spotter is still in excellent condition despite being carried and used a fair amount. I think it was worth the money. I just bought the Swaro STC and plan to sell my Kowa sometime this fall, having it in great shape will probably justify the price I paid for the cover.