Kowa Spotting Scopes

Like many people I was in the market for a good spotting scope. Disclaimer, I am a military sniper and am not new to great glass, but I am limited in the choices I have available to me. I also do not have a local store that I can go look at different brands of glass. I have a Kowa 883 at work but it is so beat up the quality of glass is not great and honestly I was very unimpressed with Kowa going into this search. We also have leupold, sig, and vortex in our kit to compare to. But after a ton of forum research and hours of watching videos I surprised myself and settled on Kowa.

Then I had to decide between the 553, 773, and 883. After more research I ended up buying both 553 and 773. I brought both my new options to work and had the guys compare to our current scopes and their own personal glass (including swaro). Everyone was blown away by the optical clarity and overall quality of the scopes. We agreed the 773 is the best overall combo of price, weight, clarity, light transmission, and quality. The 553 was not bad at all either and is perfect if weight saving is your ultimate goal. If you count every ounce and cannot spare the size or weight of the 773, the 553 is a great choice for you. If you can spare a little extra size and weight, then the 773 is the best option in my experience.

I just wanted to pass on my journey with Kowa glass in case anyone is in the market for a spotting scope. Hopefully this can save you some time if you are on the fence.

I landed in a similar spot but bought the 884 with plans of eventually getting the 554. Haven't bought yet but I will. My brother and hunting partners both got 774 with the idea that it's the middle man and they only would have to buy one. After extensive use with the 88 and 77 I think that....if buying one get the 77, if buying two l, get 88 and 55. Surely won't be disappointed with any!

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Well I am the guy on the fence still! I'm selling my swaro BTX and am worried I will regret it. (Only had 65mm obj though)
I keep settling on the kowa 77 and every time I do, I see something about the swaro ATC and makes me second guess myself. I want to be lightweight (part of why I'm selling the BTX is cuz it's 4 lbs so I catch myself leaving it at the truck unless it's a short trip. However, the kowa 77 is only saving me roughly 1lb. But I'm hoping the zoomability and bigger objective as well as using it to help digiscope footage for my hunts will all pay off in not having to pack a bigger lens on my camera and just work all around better. I just read this after reading something that put me on the fence and I think it's just helping me solidify going with the kowa 77!
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. I owned and sold the Swaro STX 65 after a sheep hunt. It was just too heavy for what it does. I am a big fan of Swaro as I own the EL's as well. Last year I bough the Kowa 553 and it is amazing. I love the small form factor. I also like the micro adjust of the focus knobs as well. Again if weight is of any concern I would look hard at the smaller Kowa.

This past season I ran the Kowa 554 for elk hunting. Nice, light, decent glass quality. Only thing I didn't like was the crappy eye relief.

westco24

FNG
Great advice, thank you. I currently have Kowa 66-got it because it's 12 oz lighter than 77, and solid scope for $1300. But, not prominar, lower grade of ED glass, small eyebox, and magview adapter doesn't fit on 66 eyepiece. Have any of you made jump from 66 to 77 and is it night and day improvement? Interesting that the 77 has their best ED glass, but not the flourite crystal. Have any of you found that to really matter in most glassing situations? Thanks.

westco24

FNG
And does magview fit on the TE-11WZ eyepiece? I don't see dimensions anywhere on website. Thanks

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I too have a 774 and have really liked the views I get. Started off with a 664, then a 884 was a little too big and went to 774. Side by side a buddy and I compared 77 to 88 across a lake looking at cabins about 1600 yards just before dark and they were so similar you couldn't really say which was better till it really started getting darker and the 88 lasted a bit longer, but both looked great.

WKR
I too have a 774 and have really liked the views I get. Started off with a 664, then a 884 was a little too big and went to 774. Side by side a buddy and I compared 77 to 88 across a lake looking at cabins about 1600 yards just before dark and they were so similar you couldn't really say which was better till it really started getting darker and the 88 lasted a bit longer, but both looked great.
Son has the 773 and I have a new 884. I found this also last year doing extensive glassing for sheep. For my older eyes, I actually sort of preferred the 773. From a purely big game hunting perspective, I'd go 773/4 series if doing it again. Maybe for birdwatching or something like that the 8 series would edge it out.

Elite

WKR
Love my 883. It is big and bulky for sheep hunting but telling if sheep is legal from a mile away is a nice feature