Kowa Big Eyes Setup

Burg1

FNG
Does anyone here have any experience with the kowa 664 big eyes setup like this one from Adams Adapters? It looks to be a pretty sweet setup for long distance glassing but I’d like to hear some reviews from guys that have actually used them. Thanks! D7E2636C-1D43-4F0F-BCEC-A56B67BA9021.png

I recently picked a set up on here. Phenomenal build quality. Optics are top notch. I do not have much field use yet but am excited to put them to work.

Hatchet jack on here has been raving about them for a while, they are legit.

Adam is very helpful in answering your questions if you email him on his site.

OP
Burg1

Burg1

FNG
I recently picked a set up on here. Phenomenal build quality. Optics are top notch. I do not have much field use yet but am excited to put them to work.

Hatchet jack on here has been raving about them for a while, they are legit.

Adam is very helpful in answering your questions if you email him on his site.
Awesome thanks!

Antares

WKR
I’m seriously considering making a set with 884s. I already have an 884, a 25-60x eyepiece, and a 1.6x extender.

My question is about eyepieces. I’m torn between using two 25-60x eyepieces or two of the extreme wide fixed 35x eyepieces (potentially with two 1.6x extenders as well). I read that variable eyepieces can make proper collimation more challenging. I’m more interested in having a super bright, crisp image than having lots of magnification.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I’m trying to avoid buying $2500 worth of eyepiece to compare for myself, but it might come to that.

BBob

WKR
My question is about eyepieces. I’m torn between using two 25-60x eyepieces or two of the extreme wide fixed 35x eyepieces (potentially with two 1.6x extenders as well). I read that variable eyepieces can make proper collimation more challenging. I’m more interested in having a super bright, crisp image than having lots of magnification.
Can't answer to Kowa but can as far as Swarovski setups. I used 25-50's and collimated to 25x because that's what I'm using 99% of the time. The 50x is very slightly out but I mostly used 50x for verifying like you would with a single scope. Very rarely would I glass higher than 25x and when I did it didn't cause me any issues. The person (Benny Wells) that makes the Wells Sport bracket collimates his at 50x and does fine with it at 25X. Jay Scott uses the Swaro with 25-50x. I personally would not want just a fixed 30x. I want that option to zoom and that is what makes a variable twin better than a BTX setup in that regard.

Antares

WKR
Can't answer to Kowa but can as far as Swarovski setups. I used 25-50's and collimated to 25x because that's what I'm using 99% of the time. The 50x is very slightly out but I mostly used 50x for verifying like you would with a single scope. Very rarely would I glass higher than 25x and when I did it didn't cause me any issues. The person (Benny Wells) that makes the Wells Sport bracket collimates his at 50x and does fine with it at 25X. Jay Scott uses the Swaro with 25-50x. I personally would not want a fixed 30x, the 25-50 is awesome. I want that option to zoom and that is what makes a variable twin better than a BTX setup in that regard.

Thanks. Really appreciate all that. Adam from Adam’s Adapters said he prefers the 25-60x over the fixed wide view eyepieces as well, so there seems to be a bit of a consensus.

Anyone prefer a fixed power eyepiece? If so, why?

BIGEYES

FNG
On the Swarovski side by side binocular, I believe the main reason for using the variable eyepiece is that the 30X eyepieces are no longer made. Occasionally a 30x appears on ebay. For optical sharpness the fixed power eyepiece is superior to the variable eyepiece.

BBob

WKR
Before the 25-50 Swaro the 30X was the best thing going for glassing. I still have one. I would take my 20-60 off and put the fixed wide 30 on if I needed to glass with the scope. IMO you lose nothing, only gain with the 25-50. I bought a 25-50 as soon as they were available, I never used that 30 ever again.

4th_point

WKR
I only have experience with System S scopes and eyepieces but noticed that the Kowa USA website shows the 35x/40x extreme wide and 25x LER for the big scope as "no longer available".

4th_point

WKR
Yeah, I see it available at different vendors. My point being that it might be discontinued, so anyone interested in one might want to check into it. That's all.

Antares

WKR
Yeah, I see it available at different vendors. My point being that it might be discontinued, so anyone interested in one might want to check into it. That's all.

Can you post a link? I can't find what you're referencing. The main Kowa site shows it "ready to ship." Hard to believe they'd be discontinuing it. I think they only introduced it 2 years ago.

4th_point

WKR
FYI - Adams Adapters posted on social media that the 664 is discontinued and he has access to the remainder of the inventory.

I wasn't sure if Kowa was going to discontinue the 660 or not. It's a big jump up in price to the new 66.

He also posted that the new 66 will not work for a big eye setup.

Antares

WKR
Compared to the Highlander, twin spotters are lighter weight and have variable, higher magnification (25-60x eyepiece, more with an extender). Price is similar or more (I have twin 884s).

What do I look at? What don’t I look at! Joking aside, I’m in Alaska, so a lot of animals on distant mountain like deer, goats, and sheep. Lots of sea birds too. I don’t hike with them. I just drive them around in my truck. Sometimes on the 4wheeler. Just a play thing for me, not really even related to hunting. Just animal “viewing.”

I’d actually love to have a set of Highlanders too.