Kodiak Island - DIY and solo ?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Hey guys, I'm looking at putting together a solo DIY trip to Kodiak in the next year or so, just wondering if anyone'd done this before? One thought I had was to book one of the Forest Service cabins that are near or on a lake and fly into one of those? Just seeing if anyone out there's done a solo Kodiak trip before, whats your thoughts and experiences?

skipper907

Lil-Rokslider
You could run into a problem with a flight out service willing to fly you out solo. Unless you have a past relationship with them.
People do hunt Kodiak solo but it is very few and far between and most of those people have a lot of experience hunting the island.
Kodiak can be a very unforgiving place to hunt

I did several trips to Kodiak this season as an AK resident. Two of them were solo hunts for mountain goat, I got a Billy on the second solo trip. Yes it’s on the risky side as far as hunts go. But for those hunts it was walk in from the road, so logistically simple at least. I have no idea if you are experienced enough for something like this. Or just dreaming about a trip you’ll never do. The transporter will hopefully be able to tell from a conversation and may or may not allow a solo nonresident. If this is your first trip Alaska trip maybe consider something else.