Kodiak Canvas tents - yes please

I liked the KC 10X14 (shown in previous pics) so much I bought a second one for warm weather camping. Found it used right here in the classifieds.

There's a new 10X10 for sale here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/kodiak-canvas-10x10.187405/#post-1834727

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience using a double burner mr buddy propane heater versus the nu way propane heater in the 10x14 Kodiak flex bow tent?

I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle of getting a stove jack sewn in and having a stove pipe.

I have a Big Buddy heater in mine and I have been comfortable down into the low teens with it. To me it wasn’t worth putting in a stove jack. Although I did consider it at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I figured
Thanks!

I can’t imagine wanting to hang soaking wet muddy clothes inside since has the sew in floor

Seems like it would get pretty messy

92xj

WKR
That’s what I figured
Thanks!

I can’t imagine wanting to hang soaking wet muddy clothes inside since has the sew in floor

Where else are you going to hang them to dry out for the next days hunt?
With my wood stove, the clothes would dry before hitting the sack. With my buddy heater, they take the night but are dry by morning.
Both hear sources work well.
Wet dirty clothes get hung near the ceiling on a clothes line I installed. I also have a rug inside to help keep the floor clean and dry.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I figured
Thanks!

Overall I love the tent but do have mixed feelings about the floor. I use a moving blanket under the cots for a bit of insulation and comfort from the cold floor, and a floor mat at the entrance, but I think this year I'll add a full tarp on the inside, and a full tarp underneath on the outside of the tent to keep things clean. It'd be nice to not have to worry so much about muddy boots and gear, and I had a bunch of grass and dirt frozen to the bottom of the outside last year after taking it down, and it was a bit of a pain to clean once it thawed out back home.

The upsides are that I feel the sewn in floor helps hold the heat in a bit better, and adds an extra degree of weatherproofness.

I put a tarp under my tent and vestibule solely for mud...I don't want that in my tent when I enter or on my tent when I roll it up. I never notice the "cold floor" cuz I'm wearing socks and Crocs. Wet clothes and boots are left near the door on the stovejack side...I bang the boots out pretty good before bringing em inside...no real mess. It's nice to wake up and have warm clothes to put on. I make coffee on a table under the wing vestibule.

Competitive Edge sells a nice ground tarp for under the tent.
I got in a hurry moving camps and took mine down with mud inside.
Now the roof is stained.

I've definitely thought more then once to just cut the floor out.

I pulled the trigger on a 10x14. Haven’t received it yet. I have a wood stove been thinking about using. Don’t know if it would be too large

JAC40

FNG
I pulled the trigger on a 10x14. Haven’t received it yet. I have a wood stove been thinking about using. Don’t know if it would be too large
I have the 10 x 10 and its comfortable for me and my gear set up for a couple weeks out. I did want to get the 12' cabin so I could use a stove.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JoeRjolin

Lil-Rokslider
I may have a 10x10 available for sale here in the next couple of days. If anyone is interested, let me know. I am in SE Iowa.

jeffpg

WKR
I just used my new 10 x 14 deluxe for the first time on a 3 week moose hunt in NW Montana. I started out with warm to cool weather and soon went to a foot of snow and freezing temps. The tent did well, despite being staked in very rocky ground and not being able to get all the stakes in the ground well. I am very pleased with the Kodiak tent.

I did a lot of research here and elsewhere and came up with some helpful tricks. I got the footprint that Competetive Edge offers. I also put a new 10 x 14 tarp down on the floor before I ever brought my Cabela's cot and tables, etc. inside. That helped tremendously with cleanup, as the tent floor was perfectly clean even after I wore my muddy and snowcovered boots inside at times. I did have a 3' x 5' rug by my cot, and a piece of carpet outside to wipe my boots on before entering. I placed some plastic lids from containers under my cot legs/feet to protect the tent floor.

I ran a Buddy Heater off of a 20 lb propane bottle, but I seldom used it, only for a short time early in the morning while getting dressed & making coffee & breakfast and then a short time while having my supper before piling up in my cot. I used a -40 degree sleeping bag so warmth in the cot was not a issue.

Probably the best thing I found was the idea of using 14" long lag bolts and 1 1/2" fender washers for stakes. I ran them in with a impact and it's a tremendous time and work saver. You can also use a short length of chain with these to use guy lines for tarps, etc. I did have trouble in spots with the rocky ground that I was camped on, but I made out ok by placing rocks on them.

I'm pretty busy currently but I will try to get some more detailed info and pics posted up when I can.

tdhanses

WKR
I liked the KC 10X14 (shown in previous pics) so much I bought a second one for warm weather camping. Found it used right here in the classifieds.

There's a new 10X10 for sale here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/kodiak-canvas-10x10.187405/#post-1834727
My buddy picked up a new in box 10x14 for $300, guy bought it to take his kids camping and it never happened. We used It for a scouting base camp and will use it again in a few days, setup shocked me how easy it was. I picked up the pickup box tent they have you also use but haven’t set it up.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking I want the new 12x12 wall tent the just came up with...stove jack already installed.
I bought one this year.
Spent 2 weeks in warm weather during archery season and loved all the full sized windows.
Just spent another week with it for rifle season with a Winnerwell medium nomad. When the stove gets rippin it heats up fast, I didn’t have temps below 30’ though. I will have to get a larger stove if I plan on spending much time in very cold temps. Any cast iron stove would hold heat much better.
All in all I like the tent.
Down sides would be lots of stakes, and guy lines. No real internal frame means it’s not free standing so every stake matters. Also with no exposed frame on the inside leaves very few options for hanging clothes, lights, Ect...
Pros being tons of space to move around in. Stove jack is in a good spot. The windows are amazing. Sets up easier than a standard wall tent. (I’ve done it solo twice). The floor is pretty tough, I definitely didn’t worry about my cot feet. Handled heavy rain and wind well, stayed bone dry on the inside.
It’s a bit overkill since I was solo most of the time, (I thought my wife would join me more often but she’s just not into being alone all day).
I’m gonna give the stove/tent combo another go in some colder weather soon.

Attachments

• 630651DB-A39D-40C2-87E5-63728533852D.jpeg
    630651DB-A39D-40C2-87E5-63728533852D.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 89594A63-2372-4206-BCA0-750DE1375CB2.jpeg
    89594A63-2372-4206-BCA0-750DE1375CB2.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 102

stryder

FNG
Great write up, thank you. Learned a lot (ex lagscrews!)
"Even on the 13 degree morning last week, I was eating breakfast with just a shirt on."

So we actually hammock camp, even in winter. But when not hiking into backcountry I have been thinking about a "hot tent" option. Want something I can stand in. Call me lazy but the idea of reaching out of my bag in the morning and flipping a switch on a Buddy eater sounds great.

Not much mention of the 9x8 here. It interests me for 3 reasons: price, 25% less space to heat and although still a beast it is less weight than its bigger brothers.

I know - these are NOT backpacking tents but with that said anyone ever pull one in on a pulk/sled?

9x8 for two people?

So you set it up, head on out for the day and it snows. Any snow load issues? Videos on competitive edge's site seem to show it is strong.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
My 10x10 basic Kodiak Canvas tent crushed it again this year, under the toughest conditions yet! 15" of snow and single digit temps, and I slept great every night. This is one of the best investments in outdoor gear I've ever made.

View attachment 230000View attachment 230001View attachment 230002View attachment 230003View attachment 230004View attachment 230005
I like the set up. Do you cook In the tent? Or just boil water and make coffee?
I have to be super careful about food. The grizzly population is quite healthy here and it seems every year a couple guys get chewed up.

fmyth

WKR
I purchased a 10x14 canvas tarp on Amazon for $85 and used it on top of the sewn in floor of my Kodiak 10x14. I also purchased the under tarp and vestibule from CompetitiveAdvantage before my Mid November WY elk hunt. Using a knock off little Buddy heater connected to a 20lb bottle kept me warm and dry in temps down to 18 deg.Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 9.58.38 AM.png